Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
Is what you’re describing that the bead isn’t seating? Try some soapy water around the rim/bead interface to lubricate so it seats uniformly
+1 if this is the issue. FWIW, my Corsa N.EXT in 700x34 did not want to get up on the bead shelf. It took soapy water and 80psi (tubes). Kinlin XR26T.
Old 09-22-2024, 01:02 PM

Thanks for all the inputs, i have just returned from the “soapy water on the rim bead” trick. Soaped very generously, pumped up multiple times to 120, but still, no “pop”. Scared to go any further than 120. The bulge around the valve is still there.

I’ll exchange the rim tape, which is notably thicker around the valve hole for some tubeless alternative (and consider going tubeless while I’m at it)

From all the messing around, the Vittoria tires are at least a bit more flexible, they were by far the absolute worst I have ever laid on a rim. Let’s see if it will seat with different rim tape.

Keep thinking I should have stayed with gravelkings like I have on my gravel bike
Old 09-22-2024, 01:31 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Just gotta go a little more. And maybe put a bit of dish washing liquid on the bead first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Yeah, deflate the tire, push the bead in and wipe some soapy water around the tire bead/rim bed.
If you gotta do this, for me HUGE RED FLAG I don't wanna run this tire and rim. How are you going to get going after a flat on the road?? Without calling an UBER SUV for the price of the tires maybe?
Old 09-22-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo0cH View Post
Keep thinking I should have stayed with gravelkings like I have on my gravel bike
Or again, ditch the TLR and buy the tube type Corsa N.EXTs. They are lighter and should be considerably easier to mount/seat if you are planning to use inner tubes. I’d still use tubeless tape (2 wraps) regardless.
Old 09-22-2024, 05:59 PM

not to cause more confusion on the original post, but this one's helpful as i had a question about tr vs. non-tr tires and maybe the op will find it useful.

or, launch the tr wheels off a rooptop...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...2&postcount=23

fellow paceliner markmcm pointed out something really important, and that's tr tires have a max psi (which i learned as well) of way less than non-tr.

and another fellow paceliner referred a terrific website for deals on good size 30 tires: https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...clincher-700c/

this %&^$! drives me nuts and i sympathize with the op. good luck.
Old 09-22-2024, 06:51 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo0cH View Post
From all the messing around, the Vittoria tires are at least a bit more flexible, they were by far the absolute worst I have ever laid on a rim.
Ditto for me, paired with (disc) Shamals, forced me to go tubeless (they're nice riding tires that way but I live in dread of a puncture that won't seal).
Old 09-22-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
If you gotta do this, for me HUGE RED FLAG I don't wanna run this tire and rim. How are you going to get going after a flat on the road?? Without calling an UBER SUV for the price of the tires maybe?
Generally the bead stretches a little bit after its been on the rim for a while and wont be a problem to de-bead later.

I have only run into one rim/tire combo that I couldnt pop the bead in by hand, although I didnt dabble in the early road tubeless stuff.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:02 AM

Never run those tires with a tube. My Cervelo Rouvida came with them and tubes. I couldn't get the tires off and finally cut them off. If used tubeless with sealant, you've got a chance of getting them off, but it's still quite a challenge. I'm trying to sell a pair of new Fulcrum 600 DB wheels with these tires free, but with no luck. Pirelli P-Zero TLR tubeless for me.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:10 AM

I had a similar issue with schwalbe tle tires and hed belgium+ rims.

Two things that helped, thinner rim tape and soap to seat.

After having troubles getting them to seat again, I switched tires to regular clinchers and that solved the problem.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Never run those tires with a tube. My Cervelo Rouvida came with them and tubes. I couldn't get the tires off and finally cut them off. If used tubeless with sealant, you've got a chance of getting them off, but it's still quite a challenge. I'm trying to sell a pair of new Fulcrum 600 DB wheels with these tires free, but with no luck. Pirelli P-Zero TLR tubeless for me.
??????

What does using a tube have to do with getting a tire on or off? The tube sits completely inside the tire (not between the tire and rim), and is so flexible that it is easily pushed aside when installing/removing the tire. (Beside which, seating a tire with a tube is easier, because no air is lost while pressurizing the inside of the tire). I think you may need to re-examine your tire removal/installation technique.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I had a similar issue with schwalbe tle tires and hed belgium+ rims.

Two things that helped, thinner rim tape and soap to seat.
Proper rim tape is key to using any tubeless/TLR rim. Tubeless/TLR tires rely on a high tolerance fit between the tire's bead and the bead shelf in the rim. The rim tape must be the correct thickness, or the fit may be too loose (uncommon) or too tight. Many traditional clincher rim tapes are too thick, and may make it difficult or impossible to seat the tire bead.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Many traditional clincher rim tapes are too thick, and may make it difficult or impossible to seat the tire bead.
Even with tubes, I still use tubeless tape to seal the spoke holes on everything. It just makes mounting tires so much easier.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
??????

What does using a tube have to do with getting a tire on or off?
Nothing much, but if you have set the tire up tubeless then you have a shot at the sealant doing its job and not having to remove it.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:19 AM

I just switched from tubeless on my Trek Domane+ Aeolus RSL 37 wheels to the Corsa N.EXT in 32mm TUBED model. Pretty sure that "tubed" model is crucial if you're going to use tubes. Even with my slightly arthritic thumbs I could mount these tires/tubes on these wheels without tools and can't imagine any difficulty changing a tube if I get a flat.

Data point: These wheels came with Trek's rim strip designed for tubeless and I was leery whether using this rim strip would work with the Corsa N.EXT tube version, so I checked with Trek and they confirmed that I was good to go with that type of rim strip. These rim strips are actually fairly expensive pieces of gear: They fit the internal part of the rim edge to edge and worked great for tubeless. (I just don't ride this bike enough to be willing to make sure the sealant is fresh, etc., etc., though it rides great with tubeless. The Corsa with tubes feels just as good, however.)

Data point #2: With the setup described above, I inflated the tires to around 70-75 psi and got the "snap" or "pop" sound of the beads going into place. Perfect experience with these tires so far. Sounds like somethings blocking the bead from going up on its shelf???

Last edited by Tim Porter; 09-23-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
??????

What does using a tube have to do with getting a tire on or off? The tube sits completely inside the tire (not between the tire and rim), and is so flexible that it is easily pushed aside when installing/removing the tire. (Beside which, seating a tire with a tube is easier, because no air is lost while pressurizing the inside of the tire). I think you may need to re-examine your tire removal/installation technique.
If you manage to install one of these specific tires and get it seated dry with a tube, the fit is so right that it won't come off only a few days later because with a tube there's none of the normal bead stretch or any lubricating sealant that after makes removal no problem. I applied soapy water and absolutely could not get the bead to move off the shelf.

A second set of the same Fulcrum wheels and Vittoria Corsa next tires that I received with no tubes and some brand of ammonia smelling sealant came off with no trouble. That's due to bead stretch and some lubricating sealant.

I've been running tubeless for four years and never had any trouble getting a used tubeless tire off. Early model Michelin tubeless beads stretched so much that they wouldn't stay inflated well enough to get the valve core back in, after adding more sealant.

Last edited by Dave; 09-23-2024 at 02:14 PM.

Tags
corsa, n.ext, reynolds, vittoria