Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I’m also a fan of them, just wore out my second set.

Just ordered the S-Works version of them this time. Has anyone here used both that would like to share your experience?

thought they were loose when I used them at the Sea Otter race. Great on sand and hardpack, but could of used some more chunk in the rocky turns.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:33 AM

I think they’re actually less of a sleeper than you think. They’re one of the highest recommended gravel tires and get mentioned any time someone asks for recs. I think the bigger sleeper is probably the Tufo Thundero from what I’ve read but can’t speak from personal experience. Perhaps due to limited availability in the US?
Old 05-19-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus07 View Post
I think they’re actually less of a sleeper than you think. They’re one of the highest recommended gravel tires and get mentioned any time someone asks for recs. I think the bigger sleeper is probably the Tufo Thundero from what I’ve read but can’t speak from personal experience. Perhaps due to limited availability in the US?
Looks like the pathfinder without the centerline, which for me is the only reason I no longer use the pathfinder …I used it back when commuting. On my kitty litter trails the centerline is squirrelly up front and the rear slides back and forth at higher power outputs.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-19-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Looks like the pathfinder without the centerline, which for me is the only reason I no longer use it…I used it back when commuting. On my kitty litter trails the centerline is squirrelly up front and the rear slides back and forth at higher power outputs.
That’s interesting that you are getting better traction with a slick centerline than short knobs…

I have a pair arriving next week. If I’m not impressed I’ll probably try the G-One RS next and then end up back on the pathfinders like everyone else.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus07 View Post
That’s interesting that you are getting better traction with a slick centerline than short knobs…

I have a pair arriving next week. If I’m not impressed I’ll probably try the G-One RS next and then end up back on the pathfinders like everyone else.
I actually stated, or thought I did anyway, the exact opposite

The g one rs are high on my list to try. Currently on my second pair of g one R. They are fantastic tires.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I actually stated, or thought I did anyway, the exact opposite

The g one rs are high on ,you lost to try. Currently on my second pair of g one R. They are fantastic tires.
Got my “It” confused glad you like them.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:38 AM

Pathfinder

I am a fan of the Pathfinder. I have used them in pretty much all widths. They work well on hardback and dry conditions. 38's if it is buff, up to 47 for less buff.
Weakness if the tire is also its strength. The smooth center. It makes the tire roll really well, and the 47 even grips surprisingly well at low pressure. But it is not the same as a tire with knobs when knobs are called for.
Other thing about the Pathfinder is that it tends to grab the mud and pack up. I had an incident earlier this year where they collected so much mud that the wheels wouldn't turn.
The pathfinder is great for truly mixed terrain. Also good as a tire for traveling. I used the 700x47 on various trips in many areas of the Southwest last summer- Never let me down. Never flatted.

I do recommend against the S-Work Pathfinder. Casising and tread are very different. Casing will cut and puncture more easily, tread is very thin compared to the pro. This is a mostly road with slight dirt type of tire.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

I do recommend against the S-Work Pathfinder. Casising and tread are very different. Casing will cut and puncture more easily, tread is very thin compared to the pro. This is a mostly road with slight dirt type of tire.
Per Bicycle Rolling Resistance, they both have the same case thickness.

Last edited by Sarhog; 05-19-2024 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-19-2024, 01:31 PM

Wolfgang Arenz developed the rubber compound, part of why they're so good.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:47 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
Per Bicycle Rolling Restistance, they both have the same case thickness.
According to that test they appear to be almost identical in performance besides weight. There has to be a tradeoff to lose 100 grams, though. My assumption is that they ditched the puncture protection belt, so there is likely a decrease in tread protection on the S-Works model.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:24 PM
Two wheels good

Specialized does nice tires and compared to some manufacturers they are a good value. I couldn't be happier with the Ground Control tires on my MTB and they about 20-30% cheaper than what most dudes around here seem to pay for their Maxxis and Schwable tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post

Pros:

- Affordable and easy to obtain - can be found for $42 to $54 each, and sometimes less on sale.
- Extremely easy tubeless setup - went on the rim in 45 seconds with just hand work, mounted the bead with a track pump through a normal Presta valve without removing the valve core.
- Fast rolling - and BRR has the numbers to back this up
- Surprising amount of grip for a tire like this which I chalk up to the compound
- Decent weight

Especially for the price, I'm really impressed so far...
Old 05-19-2024, 02:36 PM

According to rbr they shaved the knobs down to half the height which would probably give the weight savings for the s works line.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:15 PM
Sunshine

Specialized needs to run em under a private label house brand. Then, I will give em a try.
Super vain, I know.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:28 PM

Quote:
According to rbr they shaved the knobs down to half the height which would probably give the weight savings for the s works line.
Correct. S-works simply has less tread. I recently just switched to save weight.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:52 PM

It's a different casing, despite the BRR same width reported:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...el-tyre-review

Quote:
In keeping with the race-bred ethos of the S-Works line, Specialized sought to save weight for the S-Works Pathfinder by replacing the three-layer Endurant casing with a lighter Grid Race version similar to the brand’s mountain bike tyres. This new casing features lightweight cross-woven polyamide fibres.

Anecdotally, seems to be not as cut resistant as the Endurant Casing. This is the regular Pathfinder Pro, anyone have the S-Works box to compare?