Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2024, 05:15 PM

I hope everyone who thinks this is all worth it is at an optimized body mass. My biggest ever increase in performance was many decades ago but it was the result of losing a bunch of body mass over a year or so. It’s not just about carrying that weight, but also about how well the body responds to carrying all that less fat.

Not saying aero isn’t a thing, but there are ways to improve performance that don’t involve expensive upgrades.

No more discipline here. Overweight and not in superb shape, but have been in the past. Body mass matters a ton. Pun intended.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
It seems that aero bikes have more or less converged (they all tested within the margin of error of the test), but if you are riding an "old-school" bike and struggling to keep up with your fast group ride, then 25 Watts is a pretty healthy savings. Or you could put an aero handlebar ...
That is, IF you don't get dirty looks and finger wagging for using those aerobars on your group ride.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:22 PM

We are not talking about aero bars like the ones used in TTs here; these are aero-shaped drop bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
That is, IF you don't get dirty looks and finger wagging for using those aerobars on your group ride.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:48 PM

Questions (probably stupid questions, but indulge me please): I always hear aero gains described in terms of watts at a given speed, e.g. “these aero socks are worth 10 watts at 25mph.” But what does that actually mean? The aero socks (or the wheels or whatever) don’t actually increase your body’s ability to produce power. Does it mean that wearing the aero socks will allow you to sustain 25mph using 10 fewer watts than would otherwise be required absent the aero socks? But if that’s the case, isn’t that figure wholly dependent on the weight of the rider (assuming otherwise identical equipment)? All other things being equal, it may take me putting out 650 watts for a minute to go up a certain short local climb at 25mph, but a guy or gal who weighs 150 pounds won’t need nearly that power output to sustain 25mph up that same climb. So are all aero gains premised on some sort of “average reasonably-sized cyclist”?
Old 08-30-2024, 05:56 PM

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
Does it mean that wearing the aero socks will allow you to sustain 25mph using 10 fewer watts than would otherwise be required absent the aero socks?
On the flats where one could do 25 mph, the rider weight doesn't matter much. As the roads starts to tilt up, then it slowly transitions from aerodynamics to gravity as the speed slows and the gradient increases.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Yes.

On the flats where one could do 25 mph, the rider weight doesn't matter much. As the roads starts to tilt up, then it slowly transitions from aerodynamics to gravity as the speed slows and the gradient increases.
But if the stated watt savings of a given piece of aero equipment assumes a flat road, isn’t it the case that the rider is by far the biggest aero drag in the bike system and that, as an example, 6’4” Filippo Ganna must have more aero drag than 5’7” Remco Evenepoel if only because there’s more of him to catch the wind?

Restated: If I’m correct that stated watt savings means ”x” many fewer watts are required to ride at a particular speed, is there a standard speed that is being referenced and is there an assumed size of rider referenced (given that the rider is the largest source of aero drag)?
Old 08-30-2024, 06:56 PM

Ah, I see what you mean. Sometimes manufacturers test equipment without a rider, other times with. For something like a handlebar (or front wheel) at the leading edge of air flow, I imagine the rider-equipment interaction is not as important. For something like a frame (and rear wheel), the rider-equipment interaction would become more important.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:06 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
Restated: If I’m correct that stated watt savings means ”x” many fewer watts are required to ride at a particular speed, is there a standard speed that is being referenced and is there an assumed size of rider referenced (given that the rider is the largest source of aero drag)?
just whatever speed lets a manufacturer say their product is faster than their competitors'

(and with these magazine reviews, no not really a standard between them...)
Old 08-30-2024, 07:10 PM

Sounds about right. All I can say is my dogma f8 with aero wheels and bars, even with some exposed cables around the ht, is extremely fast when I also am wearing an aero jersey and riding with a good low position, and the effects do amplify at higher speeds. The bike flat out hauls. I have ridden some of my long time riding mates off my wheel at 30mph plus on it.

I don't race anymore and actually tried to sell the bike several months ago but changed my mind and felt it does have a place in rotation. It is good for brisk group rides.

Racing without aero optimization seems like it would be a big disadvantage.

Finally, I thought I would hate setting up a bike with full di2 internal brake hoses (Time ADHX, very nice machine but notably not aero) but it wasn't bad, in fact it was easier to run the hoses up into the ht tube than pulling them out of the dt. Yes, it is a pain to change stems and/or bars but I did do a bar change on the Time and it went fine.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I would prefer to have my cables exposed and make all of my adjustments easy. I haven't been able to maintain 25mph in around 35 years.
How many times do people need to adjust their bike?
Old 08-31-2024, 05:56 AM

To me as always in order to go faster the most important thing is fit. I love the ride of my T3 and am way faster on it verses my aero bike with the same fit. I just love the feedback and handling of the titanium bike verses my carbonfiber wonder. Both have the same contact points.
Old 08-31-2024, 06:34 AM

Of course, fit / position on the bike is the most important factor, but that doesn't change the fact that people with good and poor positions both benefit from aero equipment. There is a gentleman I ride with who has a quite upright position on a Trek Madone with all the tricks, because he has specific issues that won't let him get into a more aerodynamic position. We go pretty fast at times, and I am sure he is happy that he is on an otherwise aero-optimized setup
Old 08-31-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I would prefer to have my cables exposed and make all of my adjustments easy. I haven't been able to maintain 25mph in around 35 years.
Maybe you would on a fast modern aero bike
Old 08-31-2024, 07:15 AM

Did they control for handlebar width? It seems like modern bikes are more narrow at the hoods like 36-38cm and flare outwards, compared to standard bars ten years ago that range from 40-44cm at the hoods.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
How many times do people need to adjust their bike?
Exactly. I don't understand all the outrage over internal cables and hoses, especially if the bike has discs and electronic shifting.