Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 08:15 AM
Older Than You

I know exactly how you feel. I went through the hyperthyroid exercise with my cat.

Even though they are sick and won't get any better the decision to put one down is really tough. I'm truly sorry for your loss.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
We said goodbye to Max on Monday. Hardest thing I have ever had to do.
Sorry for your loss as well.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:34 PM

So sorry. Toughest part about pets is that we generally outlive them. I was a mess when our neighbor put down her dog and asked us to be with her. We took care of her dog a lot and my wife walked it almost every day.

We got our first dog 4 years ago. It's going to happen....

Again, so sorry for your loss.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:18 PM
Administrator

So sorry for your loss. Letting one of your furry friends go is always so hard.

We’ve adopted numerous pets over the years and this part is the worst. But the trade off with all the fun times and unconditional love still makes it worthwhile. Even the short times with the senior Boxers we’ve adopted were worth that eventual moment to see how happy they were to have a loving home.

May your little one rest in peace.

W.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:22 PM

https://youtu.be/Q7-PfzpQcJs?si=bdve4IO5jeVtn1n7
Old 09-15-2024, 07:37 PM

Condolences as losing a pet is losing a direct family member. We lost our dog of 11.5 years back at the end of July. She waited for my oldest daughter to come visit her from out of state and died in my arms in my backyard the next day. I was gutted.

I buried her in the back yard and my wife planted a garden there in her memory. She was the best dog I had ever raised and my best friend. We miss her dearly. She played nursery dog to my two youngest and was my oldest daughters best friend. We miss dearly.

Pets are special. They love us unconditionally and really don't care about our indiscretions or flaws. There are few things in life that truly have that capacity.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2024, 08:35 PM

All I can say is I’m sorry, and I understand your pain. Very hard to lose a loved animal.
Old 09-15-2024, 08:57 PM

This is terrible. My wife and I just went through this a few weeks ago. Almost step for step. I remember nodding off from jet-lag with the Olympics on tv while I was just trying to get a little more quality time with my cat before the vet came. Home is not the same since then. So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is a kind of pain I could only imagine until recently and it is so much worse than I had imagined. All that to say, if you're not feeling good, that's normal. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:10 PM

Sorry for your loss.

My wife and I lost our first dog who was 14.5 years old. He lived a good life, and we miss him dearly. The thing that hit me the most was catching myself moving around the house in the ways I would when he was there. Shifting my body to the right to make space for him to look when I opened the fridge, or not turning too fast when I stepped back from the stove while he would normally be begging for food. The reminders were constant.

We made it a whole month and a half before we adopted another lab and she has quickly stolen my heart.

I’m measuring the years of my life now in the number of dogs I get to have.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:36 AM

Sorry for your loss.

( i know the feeling that perhaps you waited too long--for us it wasn't until we had the final visit with the vet that we could really see how frail our beloved Coco really was. And yes, it is the hardest decision that a pet owner has to make...)
Old 09-16-2024, 07:31 AM

Really sorry for your loss.

I joke with my wife that I am going to get a dog in my 70s so that the dog can outlive me because I am not sure I could handle its passing. Men in my family reliably tend to croak in their late 70s; on the other hand, my wife's family has a history of nonagenarians (90 to 99 years old) and my wife handles these things much better than I do

We also have a cat that just turned 10 years old; she is in great health but who knows. I wasn't sure I would love the company of a cat but this one followed us home from the street and moved herself in, and has been a wonderful companion for the last 9 years.

Last edited by fa63; 09-16-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:26 AM

Oh no... So sorry to hear about this. Hope she gets to play with her favorite kitteh toyz in kitty heaven.

I'm a new pet owner. Grew up with family dogs, but only one felt like mine. I was there when we had to let him go and I was glad to be able to be there but he had been sick for a while so it was time.

I have two cats now, aged 1 and 2 years old, they're pretty great and pretty amusing. They definitely got me through a rough patch and are an endless source of amusement and annoyance in equal parts. It's always nice to come home and sit down on the couch and have your lap taken over by a creature that demands pets and your attention.

When I got them, the commitment didn't really hit home till a friend joked that "oh you know who you're going to be living with for the next 15 years"!

I keep telling myself that I'm pretty pragmatic and would be fine if something happened to them, but I'm 99% sure that's BS and a defense mechanism. Losing pets is hard...
Old 09-16-2024, 12:33 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I have had to say good byes to two cats and that is always the very tough part of pet ownership. We have three cats now and also got a border collie this year. My wife is already very attached to him, like our second child. Hopefully they can all stay with us for a long time but it will be a very tough time when the time comes.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Are you thinking....

So sad for your loss.

We've had many pets over the years but saying goodbye to Mycroft, our golden retriever, in February was the worst. He was diagnosed with cancer at 18 months and fought bravely through the treatment process (amputation of right rear leg and follow-on chemo). Our previous pets all lived long and happy lives and while saying goodbye to them sucked, losing a puppy right before his second birthday was by far the worst. We recently rescued a flat coated retriever, Astro, who is a joy. Pets are the best...
Old 09-16-2024, 04:01 PM

Sorry for your loss.

We lost two dogs in the past year. Challenging times given how much joy they bring us. Great memories.

Last edited by 2000m2; 09-16-2024 at 04:12 PM.