Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a200...bike-in-japan/

"Descending in the rain terrifies some people. But I’ve had some of my most spiritual experiences while guiding a bike down a wet road. Brazilian racecar driver Ayrton Senna once said that he “saw God” while racing in the rain. On this long descent to our hotel I, too, feel guided by forces larger than myself, as if I have a supernatural intuition for my limits. I tuck my head to keep the rain out of my eyes, but my shoulders are relaxed. I have the sense that I know exactly what to do. Despite the chill, I arrive in Uwajima feeling elated."
This is one of the best, and most transparent and revealing tomes about depression that I have read. I gave it a Therapist friend who has trouble sleeping, and may be depressed at some points in his life. He was very impressed, and intrigued by the article vis a vis the left /right repetition of the cyclist.

(It's a thing)

I hope OP finds that article and reads it too.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
This is one of the best, and most transparent and revealing tomes about depression that I have read. I gave it a Therapist friend who has trouble sleeping, and may be depressed at some points in his life. He was very impressed, and intrigued by the article vis a vis the left /right repetition of the cyclist.

(It's a thing)

I hope OP finds that article and reads it too.
Padraig's experiments with Ketamine, while polarizing, have been interesting to follow as well. I haven't read any updates in a few months or more, but it seemed like he had some major breakthroughs in clinical applications. His openness in talking about it and efforts to #breakthestigma was humbling.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:35 AM

Cycling is good for the body the mind and the spirit
Cheers to all
Old 08-24-2020, 08:33 AM

I read somewhere depression hit a significant number of cycling specialty climbers.
Cycling may keep depression at bay but it´s not a treatment. In the long term it should be treated. Depression is dangerous and a waste of life.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:40 AM

I was never diagnosed, but I think I had some mild intermittent depression in my teens and into my late twenties.

Cycling and running helped immensely. Even just the commitment to get out the door and train / do something helped.

In academic work (and most white-collar office work), it can be very difficult to see the results of your work on a day-to-day basis. Whether a bike ride, a run, or an episode wrenching, it can be very helpful to be able to point out that I accomplished this thing at the end of the day. Carpentry or other hands-on work can help as well for the same reason: there's something concrete to point to.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:25 AM
cmg

i like the way on an afternoon ride your forced to focus on the ride, especially if it isn't a straight out and back. it reduces the inner noises, turmoil. Lets my mine relax and then the resulting calm when i'm eating dinner. I have to do something, and riding is it.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I was never diagnosed, but I think I had some mild intermittent depression in my teens and into my late twenties.

Cycling and running helped immensely. Even just the commitment to get out the door and train / do something helped.

In academic work (and most white-collar office work), it can be very difficult to see the results of your work on a day-to-day basis. Whether a bike ride, a run, or an episode wrenching, it can be very helpful to be able to point out that I accomplished this thing at the end of the day. Carpentry or other hands-on work can help as well for the same reason: there's something concrete to point to.
This was my story too.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Administrator

i dont know anything about depression, but i have always said that at then end of the day, when your head is ready to hit the pillow, it is always best to be more physically tired than mentally tired.

particularly for people with "desk jobs" i think it's hugely important to have some outlet to make the body work hard regularly, that's what our bodies are meant for.

put another way: a tired dog is a good dog.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

I can relate to this thread, but this line all to well describes what I seek at the end of the day, not always easy to find.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
..........depression is like a ubiquitous cloud that you just can’t quite shake. ....... Nothing chases away the blues more handily than steadily pacing myself up a huge hill............
Cycling is a good complement to other forms of therapy but it is not a substitute for them and is not something that one who is suffering from depression should rely on to get through the day. Flat tires and broken bodies happen - and if you are predicating your ability to cope with life on your ability to be active, that is a recipe for ending up in an even deeper darker place. Ultimately if one is struggling with clinical depression, the way out is to seek qualified help, seek connection with people who will understand and support you, and seek to build a new way of being in the world that fits your unique needs.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 AM

I can relate.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
cycling is my meditation
This is what I also say

Especially since I always ride solo.
Those hours most days alone with thoughts or no thoughts is definitely meditative
Old 08-24-2020, 12:13 PM

Cycling has to be one of the greatest antidepressants.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:09 PM

I realized I was clinically depressed and needed to seek help when over the course of a month a couple of years ago I noticed that I was still really unhappy even while I was on the bike. It just didn't make any sense at all, and I thought--this is what it means for there to be something wrong in your brain that you can't just fix by thinking differently.

And I sought help. And it worked. Still, biking (and xc skiing) are crucial ways of raising my spirits.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I appreciate the physical benefits that cycling confers, but it’s the mental health aspect of cycling that matters more to me. I have low-grade chronic depression. I hesitate to use the word “suffer” because many people endure a much more debilitating strain than myself. But still, depression is like a ubiquitous cloud that you just can’t quite shake.

Unless I’m on my bike. Nothing chases away the blues more handily than steadily pacing myself up a huge hill. It’s mentally liberating. Nothing to think about but reaching the crest.

Not a lot of research on nuerotransmitters (seratonin and dopamine) and cycling but there’s bound to be some correlation. It’s the same phenomenon that results in a “runners high.”

I hope that there’s a large contingency of people who’ve experienced the mental relief that cycling provides, particularly during the Pandemic. For my money, it’s the best anti-depressant out there. Bar none.

A recent article I read that promoted the thread:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/5...ome-depression

”Cycling also puts you into a meditative state without you having to make a conscious decision to sit down and meditate. It’s rhythmic, but you need enough focus on what you’re doing to block out your worries.”
can realte, thanks for posting. Cycling definitely can give a "runners high".

It is not about the "black dog" but i found Matt Seatons "The Escape Artist" an interesting read about cycling as a means to deal with mental stress.