Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Thanks for posting, Dave. Looks like a very fun, unique ride in a beautiful area.

Is there a date yet for the 2025 running? And are the 'rules' posted somewhere regarding bikes and gear that's acceptable? I noticed Dave (the other one) had clipless pedals, so maybe this is not Eroica level vintage rules. Thanks.
Edit: reading this thread backwards a bit and I see Mark D mentioning the basics concerning bikes, which sounds easy enough to work with.
All riders on human powered bikes were welcomed. There's a checklist for "heroic" and if one's bike meets enough of the criteria you get a stamp on your number tag.

One funny story about electronic:
There was a rider on a modern gravel bike with SRAM 1X electronic shifting. The shifting stopped working and fortunately the rider had a spare battery for the derailleur. But that didn't fix the problem. We came to learn that when the rider bought the bike no one bothered to tell her that there is also a battery in the shifter, so that's what was kaput, and unfortunately no spare.
Old 09-25-2024, 10:12 AM
No one cares

i rode it on 35mm tires which worked out pretty well actually.

The only thing i found myself wishing for a few times was my hydro brakes on my modern bikes, heh.

But totally doable on vintage steel. The issue won't likely be the bike, it'll be the engine. The 5 mile gravel hill on day 2 was a doozy.
Old 09-25-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting, Dave. Looks like a very fun, unique ride in a beautiful area.

Is there a date yet for the 2025 running? And are the 'rules' posted somewhere regarding bikes and gear that's acceptable? I noticed Dave (the other one) had clipless pedals, so maybe this is not Eroica level vintage rules. Thanks.
Edit: reading this thread backwards a bit and I see Mark D mentioning the basics concerning bikes, which sounds easy enough to work with.
I don't believe that a 2025 date has been announced at this point.

As has been said elsewhere any non-ebike is welcome. The vibe is about vintage bikes and while I know I would be faster and more comfortable on my modern bike I enjoy riding the vintage bike more on this weekend.

If you don't have a vintage bike I would not let that deter you...show up on whatever you have and have fun. And if all the vintage bikes and that vibe motivates you to spend too much time searching around online for vintage gear that's a bonus.

I'll be there on the bike I built for myself 30+ years ago enjoying the whole vintage heroic thing.

dave
Old 09-25-2024, 12:50 PM

I rode Cino this year on a modern partial reproduction of a traditional French randonneur bike. Honoring one theme of this year's ride, it was made in California my Mitch Pryor (whose shop was burned out in the Paradise fire.)

I realized a little late that almost all of this bike is thoroughly modern (i.e. made in the 21st century.) It has vintage style reproductions of components (cranks and brakes from Rene Herse) but everything else is very modern--Son generator hub, Onyx rear hub, Velocity A23 rims, Rene Herse randonneur bars with 31.8 clamp size, Gilles Berthoud leather saddle attached to a plastic frame with Torx bolts. Modern made-in-Japan Rene Herse 650B x 42 tires. Only the Campagnolo brake levers are made before 1990.

And, gasp, this was a production steel frame made by welding the tubes together. Not a lug in sight on the main triangle.

The bike qualified as heroic because it had 1) a steel frame, 2) bar end shifters and 3) friction shifting front and back.

So there--the Cino organizers are definitely into bicycle diversity.

Is there a generic name for modern bikes made in a vintage style? Not exactly vintage reproductions. "Modern retro" perhaps?
Old 09-25-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post

Is there a generic name for modern bikes made in a vintage style? Not exactly vintage reproductions. "Modern retro" perhaps?
"Neo retro" is a modern bike in the vintage style.

"Resto modern" is a vintage bike that has been updated to the modern style with modern components.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:38 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post
And, gasp, this was a production steel frame made by welding the tubes together. Not a lug in sight on the main triangle.
Welded frames were a thing in Britain in the 50s, Dayton brand.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:32 PM

I'd like to do this next year, so I'll watch for a schedule. We're moving to Wyoming next spring but it's still a nine hour drive to Kalispell, so we'd bring the travel trailer and make a trip of it. I'll ride my Coconino Disc Dirt Road Racer with 35s. I might even wear my Ellis kit if it won't make me look like a sausage.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:16 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Nice write up Dave. It was good to see you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
Are folks riding gravel on 23mm tires? That's hardcore.
Lots of people have done it on 23s. I have ridden it twice on tires that measured 26mm wide and I had no problem, though there is no doubt that wider is better.

Quote:
And are the 'rules' posted somewhere regarding bikes and gear that's acceptable?
https://www.cinorider.com/the-bike-you-ride/ In the past the rules were very similar to Eroica but they have been relaxed in the last few editions. The vintage vibe is still strong and I would guess that somewhere around 50% are on bikes that are vintage.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:44 AM

I'd love to meet you Dave. My brother just sold his place in Montana though but we may do a BLM cabin type trip in the future. I popped in Adam Sklar's shop once and realized this summer that he was across the street from a killer bakery and sandwich shop both of which I'm sure you know. I also drove by the Gibson factory recently in the same neighborhood. Gibson's presence in Bozeman is too quiet. The bike of yours that does it for me was a white USA frame with 'Merica accents, gosh, easily 15 years back now with your trademark swoopy seatstays. Raise a glass to handbuilt bikes the next time you're in Shine or a huckleberry scoop at Sweet Peaks will substitute. I love Montana. I'd die happy with a fly rod out west. As they say, the tug is the drug.