Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
^
Half my time in the tractor trailer shower stalls is me trying to wring suds out of my bibs pad. I just use the body soap I bring with for myself.
Pretty sure they end up rinsed better on ragbrai than when I toss in em in washing machine.
I am so happy for those semi truck showers and that they don’t try to put restrictions on that. I left the event this year on Day 5 and I don’t know what the future holds for my participation, but I definitely have great memories and smiles from the past four years of RAGBRAI and definitely, cleaning the clothes in the shower is the way to go.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:32 PM

Body soap not a good option for fabrics, soap scum will quickly build up and forms when the minerals, calcium stearate and magnesium stearate in tap water react with soap leaving a white or gray filmy layer that covers the material no mater how much you rinse.

Best way to remove soap scum build up is to wash clothes with vinegar.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:37 PM

On a road trip I think it's OK to forego washing for up to a week. You could use some hand sanitizer if you think it's necessary.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:51 PM

I simply use a small amount of my usual unscented detergent, cold water agitation, rinse well, and hang dry. I don’t have a problem with machine washing and drying, except, it takes me too long to to get enough to do even a small load.
Old 08-25-2024, 01:15 PM

Every article I've ever read about bicycle touring recommends Dr. Bronners for cleaning bibs on the road.
Old 08-25-2024, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Every article I've ever read about bicycle touring recommends Dr. Bronners for cleaning bibs on the road.
it looks like that could be a handy product for travel with the family and kids for a number of uses. I'll pick some up.

Thanks all.
Old 08-25-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I would try something like this....

https://www.drbronner.com/products/b...le-liquid-soap

SPP
another vote for Dr Bronner's
Old 08-25-2024, 02:53 PM

As noted....anything in a pinch and even at home best practice is wash immediately. Bronners is a solid choice for all sorts of uses when traveling. I think Hex is great and a tiny amount will suds up great in cold water and rinses very well in my experience.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I’ve been washing my bibs in the shower for years w no soap and my under carriage and bibs are doing just fine. I used to do the same with my running shorts and had no issues. I ride on a daily basis, sweat like a mofo, and have several pairs of bibs in the rotation so unless you have some nasty hotel water or are growing something special down yonder I would expect a few washes not to be an issue. Getting them dry in a hotel room has always been the biggest challenge. In a pinch the hair dryer can help accelerate the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zero soap ever?

You are made of something different than me.
Old 08-25-2024, 03:20 PM

The key is to wash your bibs quickly after a ride, if possible, instead of letting them sit and have the bacteria etc breed. That way there’s just less to clean.

I’ve never seen the sense in spending all this money on organic this and that, and then washing clothes in something like Tide or some similar mass market detergent filled with who know what crap that probably doesn’t get fully rinsed out and/or is designed to leave a scent or dye etc.

So for me, when bike traveling I grab a single bar of this and use it for everything, including bike shorts. I bet Dr. Brommers is prob fine too, though my experience it is less gentle.

https://kissmyface.com/products/pure-olive-oil-bar-soap

Last edited by professerr; 08-25-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 03:29 PM

How about Dreft (baby wash) in a contact lens case? You won’t need much and wash in the sink.
Old 08-25-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
If I am self supported touring shampoo is the best answer.
^^^This^^^ A very wise flight attendant taught me that shampoo is the best option for impromptu hotel/motel sink clothes washing. It rinses out nearly completely, doesn’t irritate skin, and is usually in hotel/motel bathrooms as a courtesy.

Greg
Old 08-25-2024, 03:57 PM

Honestly if you're credit card touring, just use hand soap. No need to pack extra soap.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
it looks like that could be a handy product for travel with the family and kids for a number of uses. I'll pick some up.
If you've decided on Dr. Bronner's, great.

For others on the the thread, note Dr. Bronners costs 53 cents an ounce. Woolite (which is the definitive hand wash detergent since 1951) is 16 cents an ounce.

In addition, Woolite is available virtually everywhere, which is certainly handy when traveling. I would expect Dr. Bronners is a bit harder to find.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Honestly if you're credit card touring, just use hand soap. No need to pack extra soap.
Not touring, on vacation with the family where packing is tight and I probably only want to bring maybe 2 sets of kit but ride more than 2x.