Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 02:46 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainguy View Post
This summer, I met up with some folks in Denver and we biked the Platte River trail through town. I liked it. Trail was nicely maintained, plenty of places to park at various stops. Don't know if they plow in the winter (or even if they need to) but that would be a +.
I have driven by the I 470 trail in winter right after some snow, and it was plowed, so.......
But snow doesn't last long in Denver proper. Once biked down there a week after a school closing storm, and, you would barely know it. Just little mounds here and there. Dry air sucks it right up.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
You'd be surprised how nice it is down there, even some days in January, but, definitely March. Like, short sleeves and shorts nice. And the Denver trail system, which is quite extensive, is very well maintained year round.

SHHHHHHH!!!!

mIKE
Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Iirc, a shop or two in Golden rents bikes. That would be your best bet for driving distance from the slopes and a good starting place for some decent rides.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 PM

denver trails...

if you do manage to locate a bike, here's a great overview of the denver trail system. i lived there for 4 years, and spent lots of time on all of them. just note -- these are definitely city/urban trails (translation: not beautiful mountain scenery). you'll ride past some nice stuff, and you'll ride past your share of factories/refineries, and spend some time alongside big highways.

but if you're looking to stay out of traffic -- these will do the job. and the bear creek trail will take you into bear creek lake park which you can then take right into downtown morrison. once there, you're basically at the base of the climb up to red rocks -- in case you decide you want to venture off the trails and onto the roads.

good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Denver Trails.jpg (123.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Interesting you say that. As a retiree who has traveled around the west a bit, I'm very familiar with the Colorado front range as far as driving around. (Summitt county also). But haven't cycled there much, except around Lake Dillon in summer. Over to Copper, etc. Some trails out of Glenwood Springs.

But have been wondering, if i wanted to come out to Denver, Golden, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, Ft Collins, area for a month or so in summer or early fall, is there a good reasonable priced motel/hotel near the trail system, where a person could stay and ride safely while one figured out best places to ride. Keeping in mind, I would be by myself, and not interested in getting hit and winding up in hospital with wife 2000 miles away. And I don't really mind riding the trails, when by myself. Am aware of a Homewood Suites near the 470 trail in Littleton. Don't know if that is a good location to hook up with other trails.

Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but figured you might know and have this figured out.
Comfort suite in evergreen and courtyard in Lakewood would give you many road and mountain options . Happy to share via pm or in a separate thread for those who are interested.