Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 02:29 PM

I would worry less about the hardware and more about the lapse in any App/Software support - that would almost immediately kill the usefulness of the groupset. Look what happened to the Van Moof bike owners when the company originally folded...

I do like the backward adjustability to any modern cassette... why can't SRAM do that!
Old 10-02-2024, 10:25 AM

Has anyone here tried this yet. I've been looking to go AXS on my rim brake bike, but I remembered that the Wheeltop existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
I do like the backward adjustability to any modern cassette... why can't SRAM do that!
I'm sure they can, but it would open up a huge possibility for user error. Bad reviews tend to stick around, and there are many times when a user doesn't fully understand a product, makes a mistake, and then leaves a scathing review. Bad reviews tend to stick around online and bring down online ratings and such.

It usually makes more sense for companies to require their products only work in very specific and controlled environments where they have been extensively tested. Sram derailleurs with Sram chains, cassettes, and chainrings. Guitar pedal X can only work with the provided power supply. And so on.

But yeah, I'm curious about real world reviews from bike nerds who are used to tweaking their own stuff
Old 10-02-2024, 11:55 AM

Reviews seem to be pretty good. Gotta follow the directions to set up instead of winging it. There's a few sellers on ali priced at around 570 with shipping. Not bad. Ive been very close numerous times to buying but just can't muster up the courage to try it yet.
Old 10-02-2024, 12:22 PM

Hesse Coyle’s talked about it on the Nero show and it seems to have worked really well until it didn’t. He’s since switched to di2
Old 10-02-2024, 01:57 PM

Wheeltop also just acquired Rotor; will make it easier for them to offer complete drivetrains.
Old 10-02-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Hesse Coyle’s talked about it on the Nero show and it seems to have worked really well until it didn’t. He’s since switched to di2
Jesse had an L-Twoo groupset not Wheeltop.
Old 10-02-2024, 10:36 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Wheeltop also just acquired Rotor; will make it easier for them to offer complete drivetrains.
Saw this posted on BF earlier today and commented- Wheeltop's website shows many cranks. 1x, 2x, 3x, hollow spindle, square taper, etc.
I don't understand the claim that they don't offer complete drivetrains.

On a related note, I have never owned a bike with a crank that is of the same brand and model as the rest of the bike.
Praxis cranks, Sugino cranks, Sakae cranks, and Shimano cranks that are different level from the other components.
...I just can't bring myself to see why a crank being the same brand is critical to some for them to purchase the rest of a drivetrain.
Old 10-02-2024, 11:01 PM

The Wheeltop cranks I looked at on their website seem really cheap. Rotor also make 11, 12 and 13-spd cassettes, whereas it looks like Wheeltop only offers one 11-spd MTB cassette.