Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2024, 03:42 PM

I was considering an endurance model for a bit, and user feedback I read was the bar ruined the otherwise very smoothed ride of the bike.
Old 10-01-2024, 03:43 PM

The sky doesn't have enough clouds...
Old 10-01-2024, 03:43 PM

The 'old man yells at cloud' energy in this thread is too damn high. Flared drops are pretty damn comfortable, let people enjoy stuff.
Old 10-01-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I still don't get it. You still have to unwrap the bars and remove the levers. The main advantage of an integrated bar/stem is the weight savings, which is diminished with this setup.

The only upside I see is on the manufacturing/part # side - Canyon can source a single stem/mid-section and various widths. So, the assembly is probably less expensive to build over time.

I just don't see any advantage for the user - it would be just as easy to keep a full 2nd integrated bar/stem combo and just swap the levers over. And not worry about proprietary bar parts/hardware.

And honestly, how many people really want to swap from a standard drops to flared and back regularly?

This really seems like an answer to a question nobody asked.
I don't think Canyon is expecting people to change these frequently. I think Canyon is giving their customers a way to tune the bike to their preferences, while allowing canyon to spec a single bar.

Riders don't adjust their seatpost height frequently, but it's useful to sell bikes with adjustable seatposts. Riders rarely adjust flip chips back and forth, but different riders will ride them in different settings.

If I buy a bike with conventional handlebar but need a different width than comes on the bike, I would have to redo the bar tape, potentially change/trim hoses, AND buy new handlebars. At least with this I wouldn't have to buy new handlebars.
Old 10-01-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I still don't get it. You still have to unwrap the bars and remove the levers. The main advantage of an integrated bar/stem is the weight savings, which is diminished with this setup.

The only upside I see is on the manufacturing/part # side - Canyon can source a single stem/mid-section and various widths. So, the assembly is probably less expensive to build over time.

I just don't see any advantage for the user - it would be just as easy to keep a full 2nd integrated bar/stem combo and just swap the levers over. And not worry about proprietary bar parts/hardware. As far as fit goes - stem length is going to be more important, but Canyon doesn't offer the option of different stem lengths when ordering (and the flared bars add 10mm reach, so that's just weird - I definitely don't want to change the reach regularly).

And honestly, how many people really want to swap from a standard drops to flared and back regularly?

I mean I wouldn't buy it but it says this:

Dialling in your fit is precise and fast, with 20 mm of height and 50 mm of width adjustment with no cutting required.

If you could accomodate 40, 42, or 44 width bars on a single frame and the buyer can choose with just a few bolts that seems good. However, it should also offer 20-40mm of reach adjustment too to actually be useful.

FWIW all my bikes have standard bar/stem setups and while cables may run through the frame they never run through the bar/stem/headset.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
The sky doesn't have enough clouds...
Venus does. Or maybe Jupiter's Great Red Spot.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I just don't see any advantage for the user - it would be just as easy to keep a full 2nd integrated bar/stem combo and just swap the levers over. And not worry about proprietary bar parts/hardware. As far as fit goes - stem length is going to be more important, but Canyon doesn't offer the option of different stem lengths when ordering (and the flared bars add 10mm reach, so that's just weird - I definitely don't want to change the reach regularly).

No, this is not about changing your drops regularly. This is about customizing your bar setup without buying an entirely new bar/stem combo.

In an ideal world, when I order my $12k Wonderbike, I would get to choose the bar/stem with the exact stem length and bar width that I want. But most manufacturers don't do this. Some shops may help you here, but not all. So in order to even get the width I want, I would have to buy an entirely new one piece bar stem and then pay the shop to redo the internal wiring to get going. That could be a $400-$500 proposition. Not cool on a high end bike.

What the Canyon bar does, is at least let your tailor your bar to the width you prefer. And if you want, you can change to the aero drops, although those are a separate purchase. Would be even better if they let you choose which drops up front. And you can change all of these with just a few screws. You don't have to disconnect brakes, etc.

So it is less than perfect, but better than most offer. See more here: https://youtu.be/akczRXG7D1w?t=508
Old 10-01-2024, 04:35 PM

I still don't understand what happens to the brake lines, but I think I see Canyon's evil plan here...

They hope this catches on industry-wide and the industry runs with this for 5-8 years. Then, out of the blue, Canyon releases another mind-blowing innovation:
Clamping the handlebars to the front of the stem!!!!!

- Tweak handlebar angle in seconds to maximize comfort!
- Replace *only the handlebars* when desired, or when damaged in a crash, without the added expense of replacing the stem/bar combo!
- Only two parts (stem and bars) rather than three, for more strength and stiffness!

Oh, it's gonna be an amazing cycling future...

Last edited by dgauthier; 10-01-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:51 PM

There's a little more about this handlebar in a review on Bike Radar:

Quote:
The shape of the stem has been redesigned subtly, for example, with a more angular appearance, while there’s now a greater width and height adjustment range available than before.

The range of width adjustment has increased from 40 to 50mm, while stack-height adjustment has increased to 20mm, up from 15mm.

As before, there’s no facility to adjust the stem length of the PACE Bar and Canyon won’t be offering riders the option to spec a different stem length at the point of purchase either.

Canyon has added PACE T-Bar (the stem plus the tops of the handlebar minus the drops) as an aftermarket part on its website, however.
Is there an advantage? Yes - a huge advantage to a company that sells bikes via mail-order, and even some advantage to the user.

For Canyon, the advantages are that it allows them to sell a fully assembled standard bike with internal cable routing, which can then be fitted to the user by adjusting height (spacers), width (by sliding the drops in and out) and length (by swapping the PACE T-bar) of the integrated handlebar/stem without needing to cut hoses or bleed the brakes - in other words, it can all be done with the 5mm Allen wrench shipped with the bike. And as mentioned above, this system makes it easier to ship a fully assembled bike with internal cable routing.

For the user, it means a wider range of integrated handlebar sizing is available. As an example, I have a Specialized Tarmac SL7 and I generally prefer a narrow handlebar with a long stem, but Specialized doesn't make their Roval Cockpit integrated handlebar in the combination of width and length that I want. However, the adjustability of Canyon's PACE handlebar means I'd be able to get the width/length combination I want.

The fact that you can swap straight and flared drops is just icing on the cake. Potentially they could offer the handlebar ends with different amounts of drop for even more adjustability.
Old 10-01-2024, 05:00 PM

I don't think its meant to be swapped regularly, just as an option when setting up the bike. With wireless levers and hydro quick connects its actually a pretty good idea especially for folks that travel.
Old 10-01-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I don't think its meant to be swapped regularly, just as an option when setting up the bike. With wireless levers and hydro quick connects its actually a pretty good idea especially for folks that travel.
I don't think you even need hydro quick connects. There is room in the bars for a little slack in the hose, so you can pull the ends of the bars out and fold them back (hoses still connected) in the travel case. After all, this is how it shipped from Canyon.
Old 10-01-2024, 06:24 PM

I wonder if the bolts could loosen during the ride resulting in the bar coming apart?
Old 10-01-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I wonder if the bolts could loosen during the ride resulting in the bar coming apart?
I guess it's possible, though the same can be said for stem bolts. I imagine you'd feel something before it broke, though it might be more of a rattle than a slip.
Old 10-01-2024, 06:32 PM
Vendor

As a retail bike shop guy, I'm obliged to dislike mail order bike companies. However, this is either a good system or a tremendous step in the right direction toward a good system. Assuming no diminishing of structural integrity or stiffness, being able to adjust bar width to 3-4 preset dimensions with only an hex wrench is such an obvious idea that I expect/hope most handlebars incorporate it in the near future.
With a little ingenuity, the same tech could probably be applied to stem length, too. Brakes are always going to be a concern, but wireless shifters still simplify the idea by a lot. In fact, I bet if wireless drivetrains had existed a long time ago, we would have seen this tech a long time ago, too.
Old 10-01-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
With a little ingenuity, the same tech could probably be applied to stem length, too.
I'm sure they considered that but decided against for whatever reason. The lack of both adjustment and the option to spec different stem length is one drawback for customers. If you want something different you have to purchase the appropriate t-bar separately, and swap that out, which I think would require require hose disconnect, plus the additional expense.