Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2024, 06:39 PM

SRAM FDs have come a long way, in case you haven't tried a more recent iteration of their groupsets They are more sensitive to deviations from setup than Shimano is, but with the FD alignment tool (and the support wedges) that they send out with the newer groupsets, you would have to be a sloppy mechanic to set the FD up incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I ride Shimano because I don't want a 1X. And I want FD that works.
Old 10-06-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
SRAM FDs have come a long way, in case you haven't tried a more recent iteration of their groupsets They are more sensitive to deviations from setup than Shimano is, but with the FD alignment tool (and the support wedges) that they send out with the newer groupsets, you would have to be a sloppy mechanic to set the FD up incorrectly.
Just about every time I talk to people who make negative comments about the SRAM FD have either never used one, or haven't used a recent one. It's strange!
Old 10-06-2024, 06:53 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
Just about every time I talk to people who make negative comments about the SRAM FD have either never used one, or haven't used a recent one. It's strange!
- Those who had old designs and models which sucked probably don't want to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to see if new designs and models are better.
- It seems pretty unreasonable to expect everyone to buy a SRAM groupset in order to comment on what is a well known and longstanding issue. This is especially true when many ride with friends who did have scrappy shifting SRAM.
Old 10-06-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
And that Mapdec seems like a douche. Something about all the British bike guys that just seem like people I want to punch.
Hmm interesting...I think this says more about you?
Old 10-06-2024, 08:29 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
I asked my LBS to send my Ultegra crank to Shimano even though the mechanic didn’t see any obvious problems. Hopefully I will get a new crank,, since I would hate to have a failure in the middle of a 300k brevet.

David
If it failed without hurting me, in front of a bakery that was just opening, I might be open minded ...
Old 10-06-2024, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
It seems pretty unreasonable to expect everyone to buy a SRAM groupset in order to comment on what is a well known and longstanding issue.
Your mistake, I said "used" not "buy." There are plenty of opportunities out there for people to get the basic experience of something via demos, going to the bike shop, trying a friends bike etc and then be able to talk from experience instead of regurgitating what they read on the internet and reaffirming their cult affiliation. But it is pretty odd to defend people arguing from a position of ignorance!
Old 10-06-2024, 09:39 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Why isn't campy eating the market?
one reason surely is that the Campy electronic groupset is the Super Record Wireless at around $4,300.. versus cheapest Shimano 105 Di2 or SRAM Rival AXS (if you want 2x) or Apex (1x).. you could buy an entire bike with Apex plus some nice wheels for what the Campy set costs.. probably could do the same for 105 Di2 almost..

also, unless you want the Ekar gravel groupset, the largest cassette seems to be an 11-34.. that might be fine for a lot of folks, but not all for sure.. no idea if the Shimano/SRAM cassettes will work with current Campy stuff though..

Finally, $1,500 for Chorus hydro vs. $700 for 105 hydro (non- Di2)..
https://www.eurobikeparts.com/

I've had Campy 10 and the first gen Campy 11 and both were fine, but they do have some limitations..
Old 10-06-2024, 09:41 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
agree, my Anderson has Red 22 on it (mech) and it shifts just fine..
Old 10-06-2024, 10:30 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Your mistake, I said "used" not "buy." There are plenty of opportunities out there for people to get the basic experience of something via demos, going to the bike shop, trying a friends bike etc and then be able to talk from experience instead of regurgitating what they read on the internet and reaffirming their cult affiliation. But it is pretty odd to defend people arguing from a position of ignorance!
Not my mistake, I understand people can test ride a bike.
I view test rides as largely worthless, if the goal is to see how a drivetrain is going to shift during ownership.
Every bike that is on the floor of a shop should shift perfectly- that's a minimum expectation.
The real test is how a drivetrain behaves 500mi into use, 1500mi into use, 2 years into use, if it can be set up and adjusted easily by mechanically competent owners, etc.

And I didn't defend arguing from a position of ignorance.
- people ride with others who give them info and feedback on what they ride. Consumer decisions are made based on this type of feedback all the time.
- industry reviewers give feedback based on use of products. This is a common and popular method for gaining information on products because the barrier to try all the products yourself is far too high.
- do you only form opinions on things you have tried and experienced? Like you really don't have any opinions or preferences that have been formed due to the experience of others? If that's true, you are a rare breed.
Old 10-07-2024, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Because they ate themselves.
Under rated comment with several meanings. Chapeaux.
Old 10-07-2024, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
- Those who had old designs and models which sucked probably don't want to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to see if new designs and models are better.
- It seems pretty unreasonable to expect everyone to buy a SRAM groupset in order to comment on what is a well known and longstanding issue. This is especially true when many ride with friends who did have scrappy shifting SRAM.
Bang on ^

I only do R&D for a company, once.
Old 10-07-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
Hmm interesting...I think this says more about you?
Hey, if you like douches, that is OK. To each their own...

(:
Old 10-07-2024, 06:40 AM

My god

My god what’s going on with this forum lately… post about the shimano crank recall and one shops experience… and it turns into SRAM and Campy bashing and name calling….

I found their experience informative and I think their stance that they are not metallurgical experts is spot on… to expect a bike shop to inspect seems crazy to me, this isn’t an issue with a part that isn’t working (broken FD or rd, or some other small issue), this is a safety issue. If I were a bike shop I would want no part in telling my customer their crank is perfectly safe, no matter what the indemnification looks like….
Old 10-07-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:
My SRAM Red FD, installed by the Pursuit folks, would drop the chain maybe once every 3-400 miles. I checked the setup with the tool and it was spot on. As with every other bike I have had over the years I just installed a chain catcher... problem solved. I love the AXS shifting and have no issues with the speed or precision. However, this is my first electronic group. My other bike has Record 12s and the one before that Chorus 11s. Prior to that is was all Shimano.

Tim
Old 10-07-2024, 07:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Shimano's poor handling and responses during this entire crank recall make me wonder why people still trust them so much. Throw in their power meter problems and the recent security issues of Di2, why would you pick them over SRAM? SRAM has had a few recalls but every time they went above and beyond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Almost like religion at this point.

After my second SRAM Red RD wore out in 4000 miles, I stopped giving them my money. There is no warranty coverage , there are no service parts, you just throw it in the trash.
Pay yer money, take er chances. Seems both 's' brands have some significant 'others' as to why you shouldn't throw good money after bad..

Wait, I have an idea!!!

See my name below. Find a place that 'qui is para Campagnolo'....

Yup, might be more $ but a Rolex is more expensive than a Seiko too.