Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 08:15 PM

There are no posted speed limits where I regularly ride multi use trails in Chicagoland as well as the lakefront Trail. The future is here.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
There are no posted speed limits where I regularly ride multi use trails in Chicagoland as well as the lakefront Trail. The future is here.

I’m not clear on what’s legal on the local trails or not. The thing w/ these e-motos is you cant hear them. The other thing is they have enough power to seriously leave ruts in the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2024, 08:58 PM

the Golden Gate Bridge crossing is a literal death trap. The most terrifying and horrible part of any bike ride in SF. it's like the OP described Williamsburg Bridge. But add 25mph whistling winds, tourists (these tourists are demented), bridge police golf carts, scooters, and the occasional rally. But once your done with it, it's real nice. also, I can't express how awful these tourists are. they do not respect life.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I’m not clear on what’s legal on the local trails or not. The thing w/ these e-motos is you cant hear them. The other thing is they have enough power to seriously leave ruts in the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Motorized Vehicles are the "rules" on all of them but there is no impetus to enforce it here. Wild West of Alt Trans in Chicago right now
Old 08-21-2024, 09:49 PM

Man wait till OP tries the Queensboro.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Whenever I come across someone who acts irresponsibly, I always consider myself thankful if they're on a bike and not something more dangerous like a car.
This. People like that exist everywhere; there are plenty of drivers who seem to think they’re the only ones on the road. At least on a bike their damage potential is limited. Also, many people who don’t regularly ride think that basically anything goes.
Old 08-21-2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Whenever I come across someone who acts irresponsibly, I always consider myself thankful if they're on a bike and not something more dangerous like a car.
Oh I like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
When you think individuals are the cause, look for structural issues instead.
And this. Reminds me of that old quotation: “economics is the study of how we make choices; sociology is the study of there are no choices to make”

Last edited by boomforeal; 08-21-2024 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Not sure what those of us who may ride a lot and often for 'fun', expect with the YUGE numbers increase and YUGE $ decrease of 'E'-bikes(including E-Scooters, those E-'bikes' with a throttle)..??

A LOT of people who used to walk, drive or even take a 'bus', now find is easy and convenient to buy or rent an 'E'-bike.

That's the copy, right? 'Ride there, don't get sweaty, wind in your hair, look at the pretty butterflys and clouds', type stuff. Arrive on time, refreshed, happy...blah, blah, blah..

LOTS of $ to be made on E-Bikes, don't expect it to get any better. Don't expect to see LEO enforce any 'rules or regs' with regards to 'E' bike type(cops mostly don't know anyway), or speed, or access...

Ride defensively, expect that person to have their head in their arse when on that 'bike'...Similar thing happened when Honda introduced their step thru 50cc 'scooter'...'You meet the nicest people on a Honda'...Riders of 'real' motorcycles howled...we all survived none-the-less.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:26 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I've come to expect from e-bikers unpredictable behavior, riding against traffic whenever convenient and turning abruptly without signaling. It's come to the point that rainy days are my favorite ones for commuting, since newbies on e-bikes generally don't ride when it's wet out.
Rant over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhan89 View Post
the Golden Gate Bridge crossing is a literal death trap. The most terrifying and horrible part of any bike ride in SF. it's like the OP described Williamsburg Bridge. But add 25mph whistling winds, tourists (these tourists are demented), bridge police golf carts, scooters, and the occasional rally. But once your done with it, it's real nice. also, I can't express how awful these tourists are. they do not respect life.
As bad as these bridge paths are - the action is all in a more or less straight line in front or behind you.

I used to ride that coupla miles form 4th/King to the Financial District along Townsend and then the water front. Add a lot more width and unskilled with speed coming from the left or the right and in front/behind....oh, and lets not add all the places one can get doored.

Bikes, skate boards, motorized long boards, manual scooters, electric scooters, e-bikes one-wheelers, pedestrians....expect Brownian motion from them all.

When I see someone on a bike, the tell is if they are pedaling on their foot arches. That person IS NOT a cyclist
Old 08-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Meh

The most terrifying riders on the Golden Gate Bridge, by a country mile, are the “skilled” roadies in full kit riding in groups.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Man wait till OP tries the Queensboro.
I try to avoid that bridge entirely, but I rode it one day last week because I had to get to midtown quickly. Fortunately, at the time I crossed there were few pedestrians, but it was still very bad, especially on the Manhattan side. I’m not playing chicken with mopeds and e-bikes.

The Williamsburg Bridge will be much better once all the construction on the bike path is done. I hope I live to see that day.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhan89 View Post
My standard "from home 75 minute ride when I have a break from work" is a 9 mile descent on a city MUP and then climbing back up it. There are a few sections where you can lay off the brakes and do 20mph easily.
Fortunately for me, I was in a slower section around a corner, but right in front of me was a Park Ranger in a Ford Explorer driving back up the path. I had enough room to slide around, but if I had been flying down on an ebike with no actual skills, it could have been a real bad day.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
The Williamsburg Bridge will be much better once all the construction on the bike path is done. I hope I live to see that day.
What's that O. Henry line? "New York will be a great place it's ever finished."
Old 08-22-2024, 10:01 AM

E bikes

When they e bikes whips across the center line from behind a couple of walkers, there’s not enough time to evade. And hitting a Super 73 (80lbs plus rider) when there at speed feels like hitting a Mack truck. At least what I remember. It was enough to crush my Speedvagen top and down tubes. Luckily, I’ve only got a broken finger on my dominant hand that will never fully recover.

And remember the super 73 ad copy. No license, no insurance, no registration required. AKA no responsibility.

No more MUP for me. I’ll stick to roads. At least drivers have slightly more common sense and in theory have insurance. And if not I have a $1000000 uninsured motorist coverage on my car insurance which will cover me even on my bike.

Jon
Old 08-22-2024, 10:04 AM

One question that seems to persist in my circles is whether to even permit e-bikes on sanctioned group rides. This, only from the standpoint that many of these e-folks are often less experienced in bike handling and not cognizant of rules of the road or simple riding etiquette. Signed, Ms. Manners.