Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:18 PM

Unless I pursue a Ph.D., I will likely attend UBI next year since I'm coming to the use/lose timeframe of my GI Bill. We'll take the travel trailer and my wife will do art things while I attend class. I don't know if I'll ever use my skillset professionally, but we're moving to a small town in Wyoming that has one bike/ski/skateboard shop run by wonderful people but limited in repairs on newer bikes. Maybe I could freelance between yelling at clouds and getting people off my lawn. Everything I own is mechanical except the Open with AXS. I used youtube to set it up. I know nothing about Di2 or campy electronic/wireless.
Old Today, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I was a service manager for 5 years and I would hire someone who came out of UBI/BBI with no experience over someone with lots of mechanical experience any day of the week.

There are lives at stake when it comes to a customers bike. I need to know that my mechanics can reliably diagnose and fix a problem.

I did Barnetts for two weeks back in…2004? after I had already been a mechanic for 2 years and I found it really valuable. A good foundation and it helped teach some of the concepts to my customers and explain why the bike broke/how we fixed it.

Being a bike mechanic is also about working in specialty retail and task management. Spring saturdays were some of the most intense days I’ve ever experienced and that can’t really be taught.
No wonder most bike shops are brutal for service. Experience trumps education almost every time.

Calling a 2 week course an education is laughable at best.

I
Old Today, 05:04 PM

I spend the winters in Tucson. I considered UBI (twice), but the timing never worked. I intend to take basic classes at the Tucson bike co-op and volunteer to work on their bikes. I don’t intend to wrench for money. I will see how it goes but I think it should work out for practical skills and for giving back to the bike community.

Mike
Old Today, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
I would become a part time plumber or electrician and pick only the easy jobs.
Better pay, more appreciated, less work and don't have to work with frustrating quality parts.
Haha never worked in the trades, have you!
Old Today, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
No wonder most bike shops are brutal for service. Experience trumps education almost every time.

Calling a 2 week course an education is laughable at best.

I
Unfortunately, there are not industry level certifications when it comes to service and mechanical work for the bicyles. Yes, Shimano has S-TEC, and SRAM has a similar program, Campag had Pro-Shops but most of it is just online training to be familiar with new products, and techniques for tuning and adjusting equipment.

Yes, being only two weeks in length for the pro course is short, but a LOT is covered, and the standards are high for actually getting a certification. Additionally, many people who wrench professionally continue to do the DT Swiss Wheel Building Certifications and Suspension, and then return for the FOX and dropper post, and DI2 seminars.

In the grand scheme, NONE of it is meant to be the end all be all of education, but it gives someone a baseline to start at a shop, and not be a liability.
Old Today, 06:18 PM

I was in the same position as you a few years ago (corporate job, then realized we are fine financially and can do what we want). What I did was go over to my favorite local bike shop, and ask if I could work for free as an apprentice. The owner said yes, and I had decent skills already so I was able to be helpful from the get-go while also learning a ton of new skills along the way. After about one month of that, the owner asked me if I wanted to take a paid position which I did.

One thing that benefited me was that the head mechanic and the other mechanic there were both super nice and helpful. Nothing beats hands-on experience in my opinion, but I imagine it could have been a much different outcome if they weren't helpful and I was left to fend for myself.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Time to think about a career after the corporate grind, so I am in the lucky position to ask a question more of passion than economics: Are there any wrench schools on the East coast? It looks like there are two serious schools, in Oregon: UBI (https://bikeschool.com/) and USA Cycling (https://usacycling.org/mechanics). Do they have a clinch on the market?