Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I don't know what it is, but, a bell seems to work much better approaching walkers than a "on your left" or some voice alert. I put one on when I started to put miles on the lower Empire trail in NY, and it was a revelation. For some reason, say "on your left" and most people turn their heads to the left and look back, naturally moving left in that action, but, ring the bell, and they simply move over without looking. If they don't have headphones on.

And that cop above who ticketed for a bright and distracting rear light should be given a desk job with a box of donuts at his side.
I didn't get ticketed, just a stern talking to before riding off with my taillight only flashing to the rear instead 270 degrees. I put it back at 270 when I got home. I loved watching my light flash off houses on my street when I rode to work.

When I commuted in Oahu, I used the Pearl Harbor Bike path and you're right about the bell. The combination of my HID headlight and bell got people to move right of the centerline. I was on the path at the same time Monday through Saturday, so I mostly encountered the same people. One group were a bunch of Japanese-Americans that ran in formation, slowly. They were out there every morning at 5am, and a ring of my bell would get a series of waves letting me know I can pass.
Old Today, 10:56 AM

Only people from NJ will understand this but my old neighbor actually had a paper license to ride his bike on RT 78. This was from when it didn’t connect in Mountainside/ Berkeley Heights.