Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 12:57 PM

Great Points @ltwtsculler91

I've had a Pronto, and currently own a Race Ti, both are rim brake, with the Race Ti being built for electronic drivetrains. I sold the Pronto a few years ago (a mistake), and picked up the Race Ti from Adam last year.

A couple observations/comparisions

Both have the Enve Tapered fork (my Pronto was built at the end of Serotta and the S5 fork wasn't available anymore). Both forks clear 28s on 20/21mm internal width rims without issue.

Rear end clearance was a little tighter on the Pronto, but cleared 28s, Race Ti has plenty of space.

Both are pretty much matching in geometry, and the handling/feel is honestly identical from my memories of time on the Pronto. Great bikes want to be ridden fast.

I've owned an Eriksen with 1" Chain stays, it was super responsive, but a little small for me, and the clearance was limited to 25s.

If you went with something disc/custom, and modern drivetrains, some of the requirements from the manufacturers require minimum chain stay lengths for correct operation of the drivetrain. Will they still work on shorter stays? Sure, but it's a compromise. And that increased length will affect your overall wheelbase, probably around 10mm on average.
Old Today, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecycke View Post
Lots of good thoughts here. In a perfect world, I already would have called either Bingham/Hampsten or No. 22. Those certainly seem like the top options for what I'd be looking for. But as I race upwards of 30-40 crits a year, I'd be pretty heartbroken to mess one of those up in a wreck...I know I could keep a second bike around strictly for those, but I'm hoping to consolidate in the near future.

I guess I was hoping for that unicorn of a ti race bike that isn't necessarily cheap (because what good ti is?), but a bit easier to replace without going back on a long waitlist. I guess something attainable like the Mosaic RT-2 batch built program, but that seems a bit less race-focused than I was hoping for.

At the end of the day, if custom is the only way to go to get there, then so be it.

The Blackheart Road Ti does seem to be a good option, but I'm kind of already over the fully integrated everything. I guess that pushes the No. 22 Aurora down a bit too.

Oh, and ltwtsculler91, I've wanted that carbon Hampsten since you first posted it. Something like that has always been a dream as well, just thinking I have to scratch this ti itch first.
I mean the likelihood of screwing up an all titanium bike in a crit is pretty low, and they all use easy to get forks. I'm actually planning to race by No22 (finally) next year as I'm selling my steel Fabrica but I mainly do road races.

There's really no fast/cheap Titanium crit bike as the batch built stuff is either China or more GT focused like the Mosaic RT-2s. Honestly, why not build your dream titanium No22 or Hampsten/Bingham and then keep something similar in aluminum as your Crit bike?
That was my setup for a while, when I got the No22 I was still racing on series of Trek Emonda ALRs for a while.
Old Today, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Having had experience with the current Merlin, I would not compare them to Bingham. One of them plays in the Champions League while the other in the MLS (before Messi got there).
Oh okay, that's interesting to read. Cheers.