Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2024, 01:44 PM

Hi Christian,

The Lake CX333 and CX242 come in a wide (110 last ) and have a heat moldable heel.

These are expensive, but in my book worth it. I wear the LAKES in a wide.
Old 08-12-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I have been using Sidi Genius Mega shoes for the last um, 20 years. Size 44 Sidi Mega fits me pretty great. I can also fit in 44.5 Sidi regular shoes, but they give me a bit of pain on the outside of the foot after 2 hours.

Been looking at new shoes and tried the Lake CX219 in 44 Regular on at my LBS this weekend. It fits GREAT in the forefoot, and over the instep but the heel fit was pretty wide and sloppy.

Based on those data points, any suggestions?
You just described my foot: wide forefoot, high arch, high instep, and very narrow heel.

I have had very good luck with Specialized "wide" MTB shoes because they are not too wide in the heel/back. I use them with Speedplay Frogs on my N =1 road bike.

Not that you asked but if you have had trouble finding comfortable fitting dress shoes, after a 2 year search of many companies, many models, many lasts, and many sizes, I found the Alden "Modified" last which feels prefect for me (and bad for about 95% of the population).
https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/sizing
https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/shop
Old 08-12-2024, 02:49 PM

Another vote for lake shoes.
I have a similar foot, and bought Lake`s 238s. They were nice, but too wide on the heel. I use them on the trainer.
For outside riding I have Lake`s 403s, which solved the issue and have zero heel slip. They actually make like a sort of vacuum noise when I take them out.
Old 08-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I have had very good luck with Specialized "wide" MTB shoes because they are not too wide in the heel/back.
Quote:
Not that you asked but if you have had trouble finding comfortable fitting dress shoes, after a 2 year search of many companies, many models, many lasts, and many sizes, I found the Alden "Modified" last which feels prefect for me (and bad for about 95% of the population).
Nice! I can wear the Barrie and Tru-Balance too (-0.5 from my Brannock size) and the Grant (true to Brannock), but agree that the Modified last is the best last Alden makes! The Barrie and Tru-Balance are way too blobby. I have a pair of snuff suede moc toes in Modified.
Old 08-12-2024, 03:45 PM

Trek rsl
Old 08-12-2024, 05:18 PM

Northwave. I have a somewhat regular foot, but their regular shoe has a wider toebox but heel is narrow.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Nice! I can wear the Barrie and Tru-Balance too (-0.5 from my Brannock size) and the Grant (true to Brannock), but agree that the Modified last is the best last Alden makes! The Barrie and Tru-Balance are way too blobby. I have a pair of snuff suede moc toes in Modified.
Very nice. Once I found the Modified last, I sold everything else and now all I own is Alden dress and casual shoes on Modified (-0.5 from my Brannock size). I am surprised you can wear Barrie because the heel is very wide and surprised you can wear TruBalance because that heel is also wide; both are too flat for my arch and not high enough for my instep.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:06 AM

My foot is very similar to yours and I've really been enjoying Shimano S-phyre rc903 shoes in their Wide version. There is not a lot of built in arch support however, so you need to insert decent insoles.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:13 AM

The fit described in the original post mirrors the classic Carnac shoes of twenty years ago….models such as the Legend, Diagonale, and Virenque.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:24 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Very nice. Once I found the Modified last, I sold everything else and now all I own is Alden dress and casual shoes on Modified (-0.5 from my Brannock size). I am surprised you can wear Barrie because the heel is very wide and surprised you can wear TruBalance because that heel is also wide; both are too flat for my arch and not high enough for my instep.
All of that is true about the Alden lasts. But a big pair of socks in a set of Indy Boots cures most (but not all of it). The only Alden's I have on Barrie are the Shell Chukkas and they're a sloppy fit all around.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:24 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
The fit described in the original post mirrors the classic Carnac shoes of twenty years ago….models such as the Legend, Diagonale, and Virenque.
Yup, I had Legends before my 20 year Sidi Mega experience.
Old 08-14-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I like to spend money on my hobbies, but $1600 is the price of a bike, not a bike shoe LOL.
I'd also vote for Lamson.

Yes, it is a large amount of money, but a few things to consider:

1. At least for me, I would have saved money in the long run compared to what I spent trying different off the shelf shoes.

2. They will last a long time. Mine are over 2 years old and look new. They've been ridden outside, raced in the rain, washed several times, countless hours on the indoor trainer where sweat has pooled in them, etc. Literally could still pass for new.

3. Knock on wood, the fit will/should be perfect.

$1600 may get you a bike (a really really low end bike....), but good fitting, good quality shoes can really make a big difference in your riding experience!!

Cheers
Old 08-14-2024, 06:59 PM

FWIW, as I've aged, I find in cycling and athletic shoes, I'm also having to size longer - 10 years ago I could wear 10.5 in Asics and Adidas, but now need 11 or 11.5 and also in wide to fit.
20 years ago I was good in a 45W Sidi, but I'm into 46 or 46.5W now for cycling fit. That said, the Sidis have molded I guess, so they still feel fine. But anything new I have to go larger.
Old 08-15-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I have been using Sidi Genius Mega shoes for the last um, 20 years. Size 44 Sidi Mega fits me pretty great. I can also fit in 44.5 Sidi regular shoes, but they give me a bit of pain on the outside of the foot after 2 hours.

Been looking at new shoes and tried the Lake CX219 in 44 Regular on at my LBS this weekend. It fits GREAT in the forefoot, and over the instep but the heel fit was pretty wide and sloppy.

Based on those data points, any suggestions?
Lake cx 332/333, probably in the wide fit. Like you all the shoes based on the same last as the 238/219 have horrible heel slip for me.

n.b.
CX332 wide = CX333 normal
CX332 extra wide = CX333 wide

They reorganised.

Or specialized torch might fit you just as well. They're great shoes, though in the UK at least their distribution is a joke, most things out of stock and they don't even bother importing the full range of widths, sizes etc. They quoted me at 6 months before they'd next have stock of *any* mtb shoes in my size.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:12 AM

I have long, narrow feet but need toe room due to neuroma issues. I tried several Lakes and they were either very loose in the heel or too tight in the toes. One model was just too wide everywhere. I found the S-Works Torch worked out the best, snug where they need to be but never constricting.

I had considered the Lamsons but blanched at the cost... at first. Then realized lots of people think nothing of $2-3k wheels and, IMO, good shoes are even more important. Even the $400 S-Works shoes had me hesitating. I suppose the thought that shoes can be purchased for way less makes one hesitate. In the end you still tend to get what you pay for.

Tim