Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2024, 12:35 PM

Palos Verdes land movement

I have been riding it and on Sunday I heard that they had the Sheriff down there monitoring everything. I planned to ride it yesterday from San Pedro to Redondo but got 3/4 of the way along the bend and saw the sheriff on a side street past the archery club so I stopped and turned around for fear of getting a ticket. Guess the trick is to go early as I have not seen them there at 7am. There are signs saying it is closed and my worst fear is that I am on my way back from Redondo and they will not let me through and I would need to go back to Hawthorne Blvd and take a massive detour.
Old 09-04-2024, 12:40 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0qn View Post
i know what you mean. i take ballona creek to the beach path all the way down but really, it's not so bad if you go early enough on the weekend, though coming back you certainly share the path more. the worst of it is that mile after manhattan beach pier where i try and just take it in an appreciate what we have. it's far better on the weekdays also.

just thinking if you have to come through venice or santa monica though...no fun.
I also take Ballona Creek, then the path for a bit, but I jog onto Vista del Mar then onto Rosecrans to Blanche to Valley into Redondo and then PV, because I'd rather deal with the cars than cyclists/joggers on the path, and because I want to get it over with. Do the same coming back … getting yelled at by some surf grommet on Ardmore seems a regular occurrence. I also enjoy going by the guy's gate that says "work bummer/beach cool."

I wait to appreciate what we have until I get into PV as the views are better.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:30 PM

How much money will it cost to stop landslides? Maybe it's like the houses built along shorelines that get destroyed by hurricanes every few years and insurance companies refuse to write policies. It's tragic for the residents, but nature fights hard and the proposed solutions sound like band-aids. Our property in Wyoming sits on a layer of bentonite, which prevents us from building a house because of the shifting ground.

Maybe it is time to declare an emergency and offer some relief to homeowners so they can relocate. I can't imagine the financial loss to all those homeowners who counted on equity in their homes to retire.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:49 PM

Palos Verdes land movement

How much money will it cost to stop landslides? Maybe it's like the houses built along shorelines that get destroyed by hurricanes every few years and insurance companies refuse to write policies. It's tragic for the residents, but nature fights hard and the proposed solutions sound like band-aids. Our property in Wyoming sits on a layer of bentonite, which prevents us from building a house because of the shifting ground.

Maybe it is time to declare an emergency and offer some relief to homeowners so they can relocate. I can't imagine the financial loss to all those homeowners who counted on equity in their homes to retire.

California Governor Newsom has declared a state of emergency in that area. Not sure what theat means financially to the homeowners. Got to feel sorry for them as they only got $5K from the gas company when they turned their gas off. I don't know if they compensated folks when the turned the electricity off in the last few days. I know that $5K won't provide a solution to the fact that you no longer have gas. The church that was there has been completely dismantled and they were planning on relocating it in the area but obviously on a location that is stable.
Old 09-04-2024, 08:33 PM

The so called closed sections is Portuguese Bend area and I wouldn’t recommend going through that stretch. Roads are really crappy both ways.

There’s so much riding you can do around PV but it may involve climbing and I know it’s not everyone’s favorite thing to do.

If you’re a fairly fit rider, you can easily do 40 miles with 4000 feet of climbing in 2.5 - 3 hours. Some people will do their intervals on the switchbacks going to the domes several times.

The domes is where they had radar equipment in the past as it’s the highest point in PV.