Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 PM

If your frame has a plate or bearing surface inside the upper head tube, then you'll need to mic the ID, and find the correct bearing, upper race, castle nut and cotter pin. A good set of micrometers/calipers is your friend.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
As Tandem Rider has alluded, the heat tube on that bike has been modified by adding a top bearing seat internal to the head tube (probably by brazing it in place), and the steerer on the fork must also have been modified to mate with the industrial bearing. That's an awfully large amount of work to hide the top bearing.

The frame in the picture dates back to before threadless steerers and headsets, so the builder must have deemed that the work that was done was preferable to having a threaded top race and lock nut above the head tube. A threadless headset top race and top cap will be lower profile and cleaner looking than a threaded headset, so I'd recommend finding a threadless headset with a smallish sized top bearing, and then painting it match the frame to make it as unobtrusive as possible.
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
If your frame has a plate or bearing surface inside the upper head tube, then you'll need to mic the ID, and find the correct bearing, upper race, castle nut and cotter pin. A good set of micrometers/calipers is your friend.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I have an idea that well could work. There is like a center quill bolt that is used in BMX bikes to hold the fork and headset in place, wonder if you can use that. And add a top headset bearing and cup, that piece im taking can help you to keep everything in place.

ps: darn cant find it... imagine a long quill center bolt that uses a rounded piece at the bottom that is stuck in the bottom (from the outside) of the fork, is used to replace the expander.
Thanks, I will look into it!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 PM

Pictures

The bike is more a funny project, not planning to ride this one a lot as it has an (to) extreme line. Like one of you already mentioned you already mentioned I found out that you need a special fork too. I will try to find a not to bulky headset.

image.jpg
Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
The bike is more a funny project, not planning to ride this one a lot as it has an (to) extreme line. Like one of you already mentioned you already mentioned I found out that you need a special fork too. I will try to find a not to bulky headset.

Attachment 1697917645
That's a VERY cool bike!!
Shimano DD pedals, Cinelli saddle, etc.

I can't tell if it has a der. hanger, if it does ,it looks like a 100k frame. I wouldn't wish that event on people I don't like, let alone the ones I do. Otherwise, maybe a pursuit?

Irregardless, it's a slice of history.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
That's a VERY cool bike!!
Shimano DD pedals, Cinelli saddle, etc.

I can't tell if it has a der. hanger, if it does ,it looks like a 100k frame. I wouldn't wish that event on people I don't like, let alone the ones I do. Otherwise, maybe a pursuit?

Irregardless, it's a slice of history.
it's a hand build DeVer frame from the 80' but the paint was very bad and the der. pad was busted so I removed it and will make it a pursuit/track kind of a bike. At this moment it's beeing hand painted bij Mike Giant the tattoo artist whose also painted the Cinelli Ram bars.

There will be some haters but I like it and that is the most important thing. See below some more pictures.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM

ultra likes the concept
Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 AM

Is that another funny bike back there? You've got quite the collection. Make any headway on the serotta yet?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Is that another funny bike back there? You've got quite the collection. Make any headway on the serotta yet?
The one in the back is an other project that is not done yet, it's a Softride. I'm in touch with Ben Serotta (who made the bike) so I hope to know more soon.

10.jpg

11.jpg
Old 04-01-2016, 09:38 AM

Now that looks like a proper sized chainring!

Cool to see someone into bikes that don't get much press here.
Looking forwarding to seeing the Serotta built up.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Now that looks like a proper sized chainring!

Cool to see someone into bikes that don't get much press here.
Looking forwarding to seeing the Serotta built up.
Thanks, what do you mean with "don't get much press here" I'm not a native English speaker so sometimes I don't get thinks. Another reply in this thread mentioned that my frame looked like a "100K frame" do you know what that means? I don't know 100K frames, is it a brand or a model?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
Thanks, what do you mean with "don't get much press here" I'm not a native English speaker so sometimes I don't get thinks. Another reply in this thread mentioned that my frame looked like a "100K frame" do you know what that means? I don't know 100K frames, is it a brand or a model?
Not much "press" is a saying that Americans use when they mean they do not hear/see a lot of "news" about a certain topic.
In this case, I don't see many people talk about the type of bike you're into here on this forum. It's cool! I so want to ride that DeVer for whatever reason...

I would venture to guess the 100K is another way of saying 100 kilometer time trial bike. You know riding for that 4 hour mark with a "100k" bike like yours is totally doable!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Not much "press" is a saying that Americans use when they mean they do not hear/see a lot of "news" about a certain topic.
In this case, I don't see many people talk about the type of bike you're into here on this forum. It's cool! I so want to ride that DeVer for whatever reason...

I would venture to guess the 100K is another way of saying 100 kilometer time trial bike. You know riding for that 4 hour mark with a "100k" bike like yours is totally doable!
Thank you for the kind words and explanation, below some more pictures of some bikes I own, the black one against the wall is an Viks (Indrek Narusk) and I bought it like that so no work form me on it. The one with the green details is an carbon frame from Belgium, Carbon wheels from Mexico and a moped handlebar LOL. And the unpainted one is a Schwinn that I bought beat-up at an flea market and rebuild from the ground up.

As you see i'm not married to one style or model. Just like to work on bikes...

12.JPG

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg
Old 04-01-2016, 05:46 PM

Nice collection.

Tags
headset, time trial, vintag