Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2024, 11:13 AM

Even better, ice cream recommendations.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Then I have to add Seneca Farms in Penn Yan. Always a stop when riding around Keuka Lake.

Greg
Old 07-08-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch16v View Post

Ithaca: Short Stop Deli... exactly what it sounds like, deli with big ass sandwiches. Open 24/7 365 days a year. Not fancy, but a satisfying "local" food experience I suppose.
Sadly, not 24/7 anymore but still my favorite sub shop in Ithaca. Gorgers is top notch too near the commons.

Ports Cafe recommended below is one of my favorites in the FL region (Geneva).

Spotted Duck Creamery on Seneca Lake is also well worth the drive. And I love the Stonecat Cafe also recommended below.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
"things such as duck confit, beef cheek ragout, cold smoked salmon and sushi."

Unfortunately, not going to find those things in the Ithaca and Corning areas...maybe in Rochester.

Where are you going to be based? Rochester, while closer to Corning than Ithaca, still isn't that close and there isn't much between Corning and Ithaca.
Not quite true, they might be found at Cafe Cent-Dix on N. Aurora in Ithaca. Another place I’d recommend is The Rook on State St. Heard good things about the Ethiopian place on N. Cayuga, but haven’t been able to check it out myself. Don’t care for any of the Indian or Mexican places in Ithaca.

Trumansburg is a nice little village about 8 miles north of Ithaca and Hazelnut Kitchen was great when we tried it before Covid. Be careful to check the opening days and times of the places out in wine country (along the lakes, e.g. Dano’s or Stonecat) - they tend to be closed mid-week.

Haven’t been to Corning or Geneva lately, so I’ll leave those places to others…
Old 07-08-2024, 12:48 PM

Louie’s

If you travel east of Corning at all Louie’s in Horseheads has really great Italian food.
https://www.louieshanoversquare.com/
Old 07-08-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That's easy...

Spotted Duck Creamery: https://spottedduck.com/

A bit closer is Cayuga Lake Creamery with locations in Interlaken and Ithaca (cayugalakecreamery.com) or Maple Lawn Dairy and Restaurant in Elmira, between Ithaca and Corning (www.maplelawndairy.com)

Last edited by yngpunk; 07-08-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:50 PM

Master sommelier Christopher Bates has opened a shop and two restaurants in Corning (to go with his places in Geneva) that should be fantastic.

https://flxprovisions.com/
https://maillardclub.com/
https://quincyexchange.com/

It's been years, but I was also impressed with Hand + Foot.

https://www.handandfoot.co/

We like Saigon Kitchen in Ithaca.

https://www.saigonkitchenithaca.com/
Old 07-08-2024, 10:52 PM

Oh, and ice cream... Hedonist is our go-to in Rochester!

https://hedonistchocolates.com/shop/category/ice-cream
Old 07-09-2024, 05:04 AM

Another Spotted Duck recommendation! It's about a 15 min drive from my in-laws which makes it so dangerous. Good ice cream and a cool place to hang-out.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:08 PM

We're on our trip now. Heading to corning tomorrow.

Rochester reviews
Hedonist ice cream. Very good. Was told best cookies and cream ever and a very good version of rocky road. My salted caramel was above average.
Dinosaur BBQ. Have had better, have had worse, make better at home. Perfectly serviceable, but nothing special.
SEA. Pretty good Vietnamese there was a debate about noodles and shredded chicken.
Abbott custard. Good traditional soft serve.

For corning likely going for bbq.
Ithaca still to be determined, except for moosewood.
Old 08-14-2024, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Rochester reviews
Hedonist ice cream. Very good. Was told best cookies and cream ever and a very good version of rocky road. My salted caramel was above average.
Dinosaur BBQ. Have had better, have had worse, make better at home. Perfectly serviceable, but nothing special.
SEA. Pretty good Vietnamese there was a debate about noodles and shredded chicken.
Abbott custard. Good traditional soft serve.

For corning likely going for bbq.
Ithaca still to be determined, except for moosewood.
Thanks for the report on Rochester - any updates on Corning or Ithaca?
Old 08-14-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Rochester reviews

Dinosaur BBQ. Have had better, have had worse, make better at home.
Yes, it's really a thing in CNY, but I think its popularity just reflects a lack of exposure to legitimately good BBQ. It's like Plato's cave. Or something.
Old 08-14-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Yes, it's really a thing in CNY, but I think its popularity just reflects a lack of exposure to legitimately good BBQ. It's like Plato's cave. Or something.
I mean Dino BBQ is good relative to the northeast, but don’t expect it to be like anything in Kansas City or St Louis.

Just like if you see a pizza place with “New York style” in the name anywhere along the west coast lower your expectations.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:20 AM

My issue with Dino was that they grill most of the meat after smoking which added an acrid / propane taste to the meat.

In Corning we ate at Nickel's Pit BBQ. It was much better than dino and more in line with what I think of as good BBQ. The sides were also better.

In Ithaca, we did eat at Moosewood, I can appreciate the nostalgia comments and ideas about it. My wife had a really good Chili Verde Tostado, I had the nicoise salad with smoked trout. Both competent dishes.

We also ate at maru ramen in Ithaca. I prefer pho, but is was good.

We also had a few meals at Wegmans and Whole foods out of convenience. Both are known quantities and safe bets.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by Rochester in terms of the City and suburbs we visited, underwhelmed by Ithaca and shocked by how nice certain areas of Buffalo are.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
My issue with Dino was that they grill most of the meat after smoking which added an acrid / propane taste to the meat.

In Corning we ate at Nickel's Pit BBQ. It was much better than dino and more in line with what I think of as good BBQ. The sides were also better.

In Ithaca, we did eat at Moosewood, I can appreciate the nostalgia comments and ideas about it. My wife had a really good Chili Verde Tostado, I had the nicoise salad with smoked trout. Both competent dishes.

We also ate at maru ramen in Ithaca. I prefer pho, but is was good.

We also had a few meals at Wegmans and Whole foods out of convenience. Both are known quantities and safe bets.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by Rochester in terms of the City and suburbs we visited, underwhelmed by Ithaca and shocked by how nice certain areas of Buffalo are.
Yeah, since moving back to Ithaca recently I've noticed both the food and music scene have definitely taken a hit compared to the late 2000s when I lived here before. RIP Chapter House too.