Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2023, 04:53 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The USPS cannot be in debt. It's a public service. Is the Department of defense in debt? Private carriers have NO desire to deliver to every address and USPS is required to. The USPS even runs mule trains into remote areas where there are no roads.
The whole US Federal System has a national debt and deficit. I'm not sure what exactly makes your first statement true.

This is the GAO report from August: https://www.gao.gov/blog/u.s.-postal...n-it-stem-tide

The bulk of it looks to be benefits and liabilities, but the effect is similar to holding debt.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
The whole US Federal System has a national debt and deficit. I'm not sure what exactly makes your first statement true.

This is the GAO report from August: https://www.gao.gov/blog/u.s.-postal...n-it-stem-tide

The bulk of it looks to be benefits and liabilities, but the effect is similar to holding debt.
The USPS is STILL being required by law to pay ahead for the retirement 75 years from now. That way, when Republicans succeed in privatizing the US mail system, they will have more value.
You still didn't answer my question. How much money did the Department of Defense make last year?
Old 11-21-2023, 05:16 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

My story

I had a package coming from Washington state due on a Friday

It arrived in Springfield, MA on Thursday morning and left again that morning.

I thought “perfect”

Except it went to New Jersey, where it sat for 2 days before coming back to MA and finally getting to me 5 days late

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:21 PM

Looks like packages have made it to Syracuse after going to Massachusetts. I am in-between the two, but at least they are in the right state!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2023, 05:57 PM

Oh man good luck! Surprised they didn't use UPS or Fed-Ex instead.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:07 PM

My local usps has four service windows, a line out the door and two people servicing customers. Four other employees generally sit in the back, chit chatting, staring at their phone or generally doing nothing.

This enables them to say they were slammed all day - a line out the door, so they can hire more workers. A continuous cycle of ....well, never-mind.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:27 PM
Randomhead

I'm pretty happy with the USPS office in our small town. I'm supposed to get two shipments tomorrow. I'm happier that they were sent via USPS, because if they were UPS I guarantee they would just drop them off at the post office and mark them as delivered. And I wouldn't get them until Friday.

I had a situation with UPS like the one described in the OP. Package just kept getting further and further away from the destination, which was in the same state as the origin. I have no idea how it makes sense for UPS to ship a package between sorting centers halfway across the country, but apparently it did. Fortunately it showed up the day before it was needed.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:03 AM

...and now these fools have once again sent my stuff 3 hours away to the NY metro! What a joke! I will be heading to my local PO this am and hopefully they can get it sorted because I have zero confidence in their clearly faulty system. Shouldn't be that difficult to get mail to a small town carrier!

Old 11-22-2023, 03:08 AM

USPS is really a pretty amazing service but it needs to be modified based on today’s needs. The first step is to go to 3 days a week delivery. I don’t check my mail that often.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2023, 05:47 AM

On days where I have to stay home to "sign" for any delivery, UPS-FedEx-USPS, I look at the status to see if it is out-for-delivery. If not, then I don't expect it to be delivered. I may not leave the house if it is something perishable, like wine, but I don't have expectations of delivery.

Regarding distribution centers that don't make sense from a geographical perspective, that's just business. I don't pay much attention to where it is enroute if only a few houre away in the wrong direction. It's when it is out for delivery from my local post office or distribution center that matters. The sky may not be falling after all. Hope the package eventually arrives safely.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:22 AM

Been there. Ordered something in plenty of time before a trip and ride. Post Office misplaced it. Showed up the day after I left. Probably 6 or 7 times this year I had a package that the USPS delivered to the wrong address, did get them eventually. I’ve had neighbors packages delivered to my house before recently too. I took it to their houses and gave them their package.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Always a good time of year for a USPS rant thread.

I recently sold a chainring to a Paceliner, USPS Flat Rate envelope, Click-N-Ship and drop it off at my local USPS drop box. Days pass and no tracking update, it hadn't been scanned. Return to post office, told to wait. Two weeks pass and attempt to file a claim. Can't file a claim because it's never been scanned therefore it doesn't exist. File a missing mail search request and no updates in three weeks. A supervisor finally admitted people should never use USPS drop boxes for anything of value, always drop them off at a window to be scanned and get a receipt.

Sure I'm only out $45, but I wanted to do a fellow Paceliner a solid on a $74 ring.
Happened to me as well...No scan, it doesn't exist. I sent a cashier's check..just put it in the slot..lost in space. It did turn up about 3 weeks later.

Have them scan it and give you a receipt.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Dupe, sorry.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
...and now these fools have once again sent my stuff 3 hours away to the NY metro! What a joke! I will be heading to my local PO this am and hopefully they can get it sorted because I have zero confidence in their clearly faulty system. Shouldn't be that difficult to get mail to a small town carrier!
Rather than engage your local USPS clerk, you might have better success driving down to the thruway and just flagging down the USPS trucks as your package ping pongs across the state.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 11-22-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Rather than engage your local USPS clerk, you might have better success driving down to the thruway and just flagging down the USPS trucks as your package ping pongs across the state.
Indeed! My local PO is usually pretty good given it's low volume and long term employees are pretty good at their jobs. I live on a cty hwy/county highway and some moron mistook the cty for city is my guess. My zip code and city/town are clearly stated and nowhere near NYC.

Tags
angry libertarian rants, constant consuming, law of averages