Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 09:03 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
It'd be a no-brainer if I could get the asymmetric rim with the RR481 dimensions. I'm just concerned that a 20mm inner width (nor a 22mm outer width) wide enough for where bikes and tyres are going...
If you are going to use 32mm - 42m tires, then it really doesn't matter where the industry is going with tire width. They may go narrower or may go comically wider, but that doesn't need to be a factor for you in this situation.

For a 22mm to 42mm tire range, I wouldn't hesitate to select rims that are 20mm wide internally and 24mm wide externally.

- They are lighter, so since neither rim gives aero gains, you may as well higlve lighter wheels.
- They are plenty wide to easily and competently handle your tire width range.
- They are offset and allow for a better build.

For years I used H+Son Hydra rims on my gravel bike- it's 20mm internal and 25mm external, and 23mm deep. So pretty similar measurements as the RR421. I used 42mm WTB tires and 43mm Panaracer tires and never thought twice about tire width compared to rim width when I was actually riding.
Old Today, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Do you find that they bulb too much? I know it'll work but I guess tyres perform best when the shape is correct for the tread. I don't care about aero.
I can't say that it looks (or feels) particularly bulby to me, to have 38s on 18mm internal width.