Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrider View Post
My wife and I had the same decision to make: when we had these gravel bikes built, we were planning on 2x Chorus but Campy was just announcing Ekar. We stuck with Chorus (48/32 with the 11-34 cassettes). Have ridden these bikes all over the place - home (Canada), Europe, US (Unbound, etc) and packing them up now to go to the Rift in Iceland. We also have similar road bikes - Chorus 12 speed.

Hoping to swap to SR Wireless and build bikes that can do everything. Gravel wheels and road wheels and only have one bike.

These are custom steel bikes. We are currently on rim brakes. Project will require new forks and new rear dropouts and likely chain stays. Also new wheels.

Again, I keep coming back to SR Wireless over DA Di2 for the gearing options that are available as we try to have one bike for all riding.
I ride my gravel bike on many green and blue mountain bike trails in places and would be scared of damaging a SR derailleur - it is a large thing that kinda sticks out and honestly, that could be a very expensive event!
Old 07-08-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
The WRL is supposedly the fastest shifting available, period, say my wealthy friends who use that and various other electronic drivetrains.
Campagnolo V2, V3 and V4 were all slow shifting compared to SRAM and Shimano. For a lifelong Campagnolo guy, they were all just disappointing. Now my two mechanical bikes have Super Record, and my three electric bikes have Dura Ace. The curiosity just isn't there to see if they got it right.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Your car analogy is funny! I had Audi's and lost my mind with how unreliable they were and then expensive to maintain. I am a super happy Toyota Highlander owner now.

Your comments regarding SR Wireless mirror what I have heard. Many thanks.
I was at an interview with a white shoe NYC law firm years ago, I had a nice dive watch on — nothing too extravagant. I think it was an Oceanic. The partner I was interviewing with drilled me for over 10 minutes on how much I spent on the watch, what I used the various functions for, and why attorneys have a need for expensive timepieces. He then showed me his $10 LCD digital watch, smirked, and told me it keeps perfect time.

I’m now happy with my Apple Ultra and a nice Titanium Band that I can use for everything, including phone calls I have to take while riding, and it looks pretty decent too. If I owned a nice analog watch, it would sit unused.
Old 07-09-2024, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Your car analogy is funny! I had Audi's and lost my mind with how unreliable mine were and then expensive to maintain. I am a super happy Toyota Highlander owner now.

Your comments regarding SR Wireless mirror what I have heard. Many thanks.
FIFY

I'm good buddies with a gent that owns a place that fixes Saab, Subaru, VW and Audi...He spends most of his appt slots on Subaru, followed by Saab....VW and Audi are the least...so YMMV...

Glad you like yer Toyota....
Old 07-09-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Campagnolo V2, V3 and V4 were all slow shifting compared to SRAM and Shimano. For a lifelong Campagnolo guy, they were all just disappointing. Now my two mechanical bikes have Super Record, and my three electric bikes have Dura Ace. The curiosity just isn't there to see if they got it right.
discussion is about WRL
Old 07-09-2024, 11:47 AM

Ive done plenty of light gravel on wrl. Works flawlessly and handles the muck just fine. I don't know that the 29x29 low gear is really anymore range than other campy road groups. I think for a wide range ekar would be a better choice.

Im really hoping for an electronic ekar group soon. Some of these frames with internal routing don't really get along with ekar.
Old 07-09-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
discussion is about WRL
Yes it is. And does it shift quicker than the previous V2, V3 & V4 versions is what I inquired about. And not "a couple of my riding buddies have ridden it and they say..." experience, but did-you-really-fork-out-$4k-for-it-and-are-now-riding-it experience. A first person experience. You know, from someone who has actually owned a previous iteration and can pull from other electronic gruppos experience.

I'll take it as an "I don't know" from you, but thanks for reminding our fellow Paceliners that this thread is about WRL.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:12 AM

"But my minor issue of switching too many gears at once nicely illustrates just how fast the rear derailleur shifts. You notice that right away. We didn't pull out the stopwatch, but it feels faster than any other group I've used. If you hold the button down, it will go up or down the entire cassette faster than you'd think possible. It will be fun getting used to it and figuring out how long to hold the button to get a quick 4-5 gear dump as you crest a hill and plunge down the other side."

https://abovecategory.com/blogs/jour...eless-groupset
Old 07-10-2024, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
"But my minor issue of switching too many gears at once nicely illustrates just how fast the rear derailleur shifts. You notice that right away. We didn't pull out the stopwatch, but it feels faster than any other group I've used. If you hold the button down, it will go up or down the entire cassette faster than you'd think possible. It will be fun getting used to it and figuring out how long to hold the button to get a quick 4-5 gear dump as you crest a hill and plunge down the other side."

https://abovecategory.com/blogs/jour...eless-groupset
Reality, what a concept.
Once again, rather than be the 'first kid on the block' with something, Campagnolo does their research, designs well and when they are happy with the results, release it...rather than disc brakes or rear ders that get recalled or very early gen electronic that becomes incompatible and orphaned early, early..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-10-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Reality, what a concept.
Once again, rather than be the 'first kid on the block' with something, Campagnolo does their research, designs well and when they are happy with the results, release it...rather than disc brakes or rear ders that get recalled or very early gen electronic that becomes incompatible and orphaned early, early..
Unless there's something quantifiable out there regarding the shifting speed, this is really nothing more than a fluff piece- as are most (paid by the manufacturer) "reviews". I'm sure there's more than one review of the FSA WE system that just gives that POS system (not Point of Sale system) glowing reviews. Add the "new bike stoke" to the mix and the fact that you're not riding Shimano (or SRAM), and of course you're going to think that Campagnolo WRL is the best system out there.

You can go back to the original EPS and read about how fast, accurate, and just-as-precise-shifting-if-not-better-than-Di2 or SRAM, and the reviews stated they were, but it sure wasn't. And don't get me started on the "you don't ever have to tune the system" nonsense or the "it learns the cassette position", as those are passed down from generation to generation as fact (which has been debunked).

I'd offer to do the Pepsi Challenge myself, but after owning V3 and V4 of the Super Record EPS system, I'm just fine with the soullessness of Shimano. And as a Campyphile since the mid-90s, I can unfortunately see the writing on the wall for Campagnolo road components. Maybe their wheels and EKAR (and bags for bento boxes :vomit) will keep them afloat, but the shifting of their mechanical systems versus their electronic systems aren't even close. The price premium (even for someone who like to blow money just to sell it for 50% on the Paceline when I'm done) just isn't worth it unless I *just have to* ride Campy (which I don't).
Old 07-10-2024, 08:11 AM

I know I wouldn't want slow shifting, but I've never had slow electronic shifting, made by anyone.

Quote:
If you hold the button down, it will go up or down the entire cassette faster than you'd think possible. It will be fun getting used to it and figuring out how long to hold the button to get a quick 4-5 gear dump as you crest a hill and plunge down the other side."
That's probably true, I'd say the same thing about Force axs and multishift though.
Old 07-10-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Unless there's something quantifiable out there regarding the shifting speed, this is really nothing more than a fluff piece- as are most (paid by the manufacturer) "reviews". I'm sure there's more than one review of the FSA WE system that just gives that POS system (not Point of Sale system) glowing reviews. Add the "new bike stoke" to the mix and the fact that you're not riding Shimano (or SRAM), and of course you're going to think that Campagnolo WRL is the best system out there.

You can go back to the original EPS and read about how fast, accurate, and just-as-precise-shifting-if-not-better-than-Di2 or SRAM, and the reviews stated they were, but it sure wasn't. And don't get me started on the "you don't ever have to tune the system" nonsense or the "it learns the cassette position", as those are passed down from generation to generation as fact (which has been debunked).

I'd offer to do the Pepsi Challenge myself, but after owning V3 and V4 of the Super Record EPS system, I'm just fine with the soullessness of Shimano. And as a Campyphile since the mid-90s, I can unfortunately see the writing on the wall for Campagnolo road components. Maybe their wheels and EKAR (and bags for bento boxes :vomit) will keep them afloat, but the shifting of their mechanical systems versus their electronic systems aren't even close. The price premium (even for someone who like to blow money just to sell it for 50% on the Paceline when I'm done) just isn't worth it unless I *just have to* ride Campy (which I don't).
I’ve had V2, 3 and 4 and can’t say I notice it’s much slower than AXS or Di2. I’ve currently got the new Red (courtesy of Clean!), EPS 4 disc and Chorus 12 mech rim. I’m usually more concerned with smooth, reliable and QUIET shifting and both EPS and Di2 have been better than AXS for me. Campy/Magura brakes are the best in terms of modulation and being very quiet. I’ll likely buy WRL once “bargains” are to be had but would also like to hear more actual users comments. The new Red is really nice, better braking and no FD issues yet. But - Campy 10 is still the quietest and most reliable groupset I’ve ever used so I’m not saying the above points don’t have value - I suppose it just depends what your priorities are.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
I’ve had V2, 3 and 4 and can’t say I notice it’s much slower than AXS or Di2. I’ve currently got the new Red (courtesy of Clean!), EPS 4 disc and Chorus 12 mech rim. I’m usually more concerned with smooth, reliable and QUIET shifting and both EPS and Di2 have been better than AXS for me. Campy/Magura brakes are the best in terms of modulation and being very quiet. I’ll likely buy WRL once “bargains” are to be had but would also like to hear more actual users comments. The new Red is really nice, better braking and no FD issues yet. But - Campy 10 is still the quietest and most reliable groupset I’ve ever used so I’m not saying the above points don’t have value - I suppose it just depends what your priorities are.
Anyone that says the shifting of any groupset is slower than AXS looses all credibility with me. SRAM shifts slower than di2, EPS or most mechanical systems. Nothing wrong with that but it is pretty obvious and done for a reason.

SRAM transmission shifts so slow, you think something is wrong- which turns out is you the rider. The slow shifting enables shifting anywhere and at any time- which takes a while to get used to.

With that said, you can find SRW for about $3K in many places, still a lot but down from the $5K MSRP.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Anyone that says the shifting of any groupset is slower than AXS looses all credibility with me. SRAM shifts slower than di2, EPS or most mechanical systems. Nothing wrong with that but it is pretty obvious and done for a reason.

SRAM transmission shifts so slow, you think something is wrong- which turns out is you the rider. The slow shifting enables shifting anywhere and at any time- which takes a while to get used to.

With that said, you can find SRW for about $3K in many places, still a lot but down from the $5K MSRP.
Speed of shifting as a reason to choose any modern top tier group from the big three loses any credibility with me. Transmission does not shift that slow. It makes me wonder if you ever rode it or are just passing on some reviewers nitpicking to try and get a few reads. It’s better (I didn’t say faster) than ekar being more accurate and easier to shift. I can barely tell a difference in speed between transmission and my mullet axs ive used for a few years now, which is also easier to shift and more accurate than ekar.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 07-10-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post

I never said AXS was slower, rather that shifting speed isn’t very important to me. I mean, we are talking fractions of seconds here. All three are great groupsets and more than I need.