Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacyclist View Post
Do you have to wear your HRM all the time or just during exercise?
For me, the Whoop is not a HRM, so 24/7

Last edited by makoti; 09-26-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
You need to wear a device that tracks your HR all the time, there are a variety of devices out there that do that, like the other poster mentioned already, it can be a Whoop strap, I wear a Garmin watch that does that, and there are a number of other ones as well, so you do need to be wearing something all the time but not a HRM chest strap.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:37 AM

I tried for a few weeks when I first got my Apple Watch. But I hate wearing it at night. I just rely on training load and resting HR.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:55 AM

Do you have to wear the watch sleeping for this to work? I do basically wear my watch all the time but sleeping.

Ironically the other time I don't wear it is cycling.. cause I wear my strap for that.

eh.. looked it up for myself and I think that means I don't care for now. Maybe I try it when I have to upgrade but I'm not going to upgrade primarily over that.

Last edited by benb; 09-26-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Do you have to wear the watch sleeping for this to work? I do basically wear my watch all the time but sleeping.

Ironically the other time I don't wear it is cycling.. cause I wear my strap for that.

eh.. looked it up for myself and I think that means I don't care for now. Maybe I try it when I have to upgrade but I'm not going to upgrade primarily over that.
Yes, I believe so. Like HR, you can measure HRV during the day, but it's the overnight readings that are most indicative of fitness/recovery/etc.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:14 AM

On the RARE occassion that I wear a monitor overnight, I always get tickled when it tells me how many calories I've burned in my sleep.....
Old 09-26-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
On the RARE occassion that I wear a monitor overnight, I always get tickled when it tells me how many calories I've burned in my sleep.....
I wonder if any of them are accurate enough to show the supposed differential between sleeping and watching TV.

I have long read one of the reasons people being couch potatoes and eating while doing so bad is that watching TV somehow makes you burn less calories than sleeping.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Who are you asking?
General question to anyone monitoring HRV.
Old 09-26-2024, 10:00 AM

Thanks everyone. I was wondering how wearing an H10 all day/night would feel. It does make sense to use a watch or Whoop but can you combine w/ the H10 during exercise since the straps are known to be better?
Old 09-26-2024, 10:17 AM

I wear a Fenix watch 24/7. It tracks my HR and records the data. It's not analyzing my HR, merely recording it. At a glance, I can see my resting HR on the app.
Old 09-26-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I was wondering how wearing an H10 all day/night would feel. It does make sense to use a watch or Whoop but can you combine w/ the H10 during exercise since the straps are known to be better?
I'm pretty sure that you can, I wear a strap when I ride (while still wearing my Fenix) because I like getting the better data to use during training, but since it's all getting fed into Garmin connect I think it all gets used for their calculations.
I'm not sure how it would work if say you were feeding your training data into one app and your sleep data into another app.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, just that I don't know for sure.

Also in reference to wearing a watch overnight, it sounds like it would be bad, but after the first night I got totally used to it and I don't feel it at all. I actually bought the smallest version of the Fenix (47mm) so it would be less bulky.
Old 09-26-2024, 11:30 AM

My Gen 2 Oura ring tracks HRV and I only wear it overnight.
Old 09-26-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that it's generally best to measure your HRV first thing in the morning after waking while lying down. So, no, it's not necessary to wear a HRM all the time.

I've been using Morpheus for the last several months along with Elite HRV and now, based on Rob's suggestion, I'm trying out KubiosHRV. All of this started for me several years ago when HRV was added to the Apple Watch. Back then, I didn't see any value in HRV for training purposes. Even when I went to Elite HRV the numbers didn't seem of value. I think in the consumer health gadget field, the science just wasn't there in regard to HRV. It does seem to be getting better, though.
Old 09-26-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post
My understanding is that it's generally best to measure your HRV first thing in the morning after waking while lying down. So, no, it's not necessary to wear a HRM all the time.

I've been using Morpheus for the last several months along with Elite HRV and now, based on Rob's suggestion, I'm trying out KubiosHRV. All of this started for me several years ago when HRV was added to the Apple Watch. Back then, I didn't see any value in HRV for training purposes. Even when I went to Elite HRV the numbers didn't seem of value. I think in the consumer health gadget field, the science just wasn't there in regard to HRV. It does seem to be getting better, though.
I was tempted to try Morpheus. Like it?
Old 09-26-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I was tempted to try Morpheus. Like it?
It works very well for me but I've always been overly sensitive to overdoing it in my riding. I get fatigued easily and have tended to push through it because that's what toughens you up on the bike, right?

Morpheus figures a daily recovery score along with an HRV value, but the thing I really like about it is that it adjusts target heart rate values for it's three training zones; recovery, conditioning and overload. So if it says that I'm fully recovered, the conditioning zone might be from 136bpm to 156bpm but if it says that I'm poorly recovered the conditioning zone might be from 128bpm to 148bpm. That in itself has made a significant difference in how I feel on the bike and my training these last few months has been for the better because of it.

That said, Morpheus prefers that you wear your HRM during your workouts and uses the data to help inform your tomorrow's recovery score and the target heart rate zones going forward. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me because I wear a HRM every ride anyway.

The Morpheus app itself feels kinda like a Beta version. I'm hoping that it really matures in future versions because I think they're on to something with their dynamic heart rate zones.