Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Think I may add a front brake and cheap tires to the bike next year for outdoor riding.
As others noted, it is ill-advised, and in fact can be quite dangerous, to ride a fixed gear bike on the road without a brake. You never know when a car will put out in front of you, or a child or dog will run out in the road, or even just heading down a hill that is too steep to control your speed.

In addition, riding a fixed gear on the road can even be illegal. According to CPSC regulations, all bikes sold in the US except track bikes (riding in competition on velodromes) must have brakes; so riding a track bike on the road is a bit of a grey area. But local laws may also apply - here in Massachusetts, all bikes ridden on the the must have brakes. One could argue that back pedaling a fixed gear bike is a form of braking, but the braking distance requirements (stop in 30 feet from a speed of 15 mph, an average deceleration rate of 0.25g) may be difficult if not not impossible for a fixed gear bike to meet.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Think I may add a front brake and cheap tires to the bike next year for outdoor riding.

Thanks for the advice. .
Yeah, I was gonna suggest the front brake option. It'll make your life easier and your knees will thank you.
Old 08-18-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
With your foot on the tire. Not fun. I also used a front brake with my fixed gear — nice insurance policy and easier on the knees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg
Old 08-18-2024, 04:24 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
If I build another fixed gear, I’ll put on front and rear brakes.
That's exactly what I did with my rain/winter/bad weather fixed gear bike since I'm old and don't bounce any more.

Juin Tech brakes and compressionless housing

M
Old 08-19-2024, 08:16 AM

Definitely run at least one real brake (front preferable). My fixed gear is set with a 46T in the front and a 17T/15T flip flop in the rear, front rim brake. I mostly use the 46/17 but agree a 46/15 would paradoxically be better in hilly terrain as it's easier to go downhill without a crazy cadence. You should NEVER ride brakeless on open roads, espeically if there are hills.