Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Do you plan to actually use them as built or cut them up for the hubs? You landed on like a quintuple niche item. Rim brake, 28F/28R (rather than more in rear), silver, campy, and tubular... Not many people still on tubulars and not everyone would be willing to build a wheel.
This is the answer - it's niches upon niches here. In my local market you'd literally have to give these away, and even then it would be a struggle.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:23 PM

Not as fancy, but a localish guy to me was recently selling a Centaur/Escape rear wheel for $20CAD (like $13US!) in great condition. He seemed totally normal and reasonable - just had no use for it.

I wouldve nabbed it, but he lived (inconveniently) on an island near me and it was a hassle to get the wheel, and spending $50 to ship wasnt a good use of money. It finally sold though!
Old 08-28-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Nick, I think you got a great deal. Rim brakes are not dead as shown by the rim brake photo thread here. I got a similar deal when Bilenky posted an eBay auction for this frameset over 11 years ago. The opening bid was $500, I bid and was the only bidder. $500 for a frameset that was worth three or four times that. It was just a little too small for me so, after riding it for about 4 years, I sold it. Great ride though! Congrats on your purchase!

Dave

so it was dead 11 years ago is how I'm reading it.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:33 PM

Similar comments here. Tubulars are what push the price really down. I'm still all for rim brakes, but I've not gotten back into tubulars.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:43 PM

Nice score!

The market has certainly shifted, no doubt… rim brake, silver hubs, tubular.

Lovely stuff like these wheels can now sometimes slip through the bidding mill almost un-noticed, whereas 10 yrs ago that wouldn’t have been the case.

Those hubs alone in that condition should easily bring $300.

Even today.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I gave Dan/Clean39t $400.00 for a similar minty tub wheelset 2023 [I think], with Boyd rims and minty FMB Roubaix 27mm tires. Local pickup no shipping. Some of the sweetest rolling wheels ever for me.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:10 PM

I think its also a sign of the season - its not summer much longer so beginners (who are still on rim brakes) aren't getting into the sport and the folks who plan to ride through the winter are likely moving towards disc brakes or set for rim brakes
Old 08-28-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
so it was dead 11 years ago is how I'm reading it.
Rim brake bikes are the zombies of Paceline. There are four in my house.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Tubular effect on top on rim brake effect.

I paid 150.00 for 303 Firecrest Zipp tubulars early 2024, or was it late 2023..

The glue on the tires was so old the tires peeled off by them selves. almost...
For a set? I was just gonna brag that I scored a 303 Wheelset for $250 last year.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:19 PM

Those escape rims are a great rim. I ran a set of these with 240 hubs for years. They make a wonderful light wheelset.
I still have the rims and use them to stretch out tires.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Rim brake bikes are the zombies of Paceline. There are four in my house.
I also have 4 not counting MTB
Old 08-28-2024, 09:30 PM

Wow, good score. I think I have one of those rear hubs somewhere, unless I donated it to a local junior club. Yes, time marches on.

I did trade a set of nice 303 tubulars some years ago for a gorgeous mint Martin guitar. I feel like I did ok.
Old 08-29-2024, 04:58 AM

Good score! Tubular rims are not in demand which is likely the reason these were so cheap.

I keep hearing about the rim brake bike market being dead, but never see any of these cheap bikes anywhere. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places? No bikes are going for the inflated 2021-2022 prices anymore, so I would say the market has been corrected. Plenty of deals on new bikes out there which can also drop the prices on non niche older bikes.

Just for a couple of examples from the classifieds here. A standard first gen non Terraplane stay Kirk F/F/HS in the classifieds is $1200 and is the same vintage as the Terraplane Kirk I sold here years ago for $1,000. There is a nice rim brake Moots RSL for over 7k in the classifieds. I sold a similar vintage RSL 5 years ago F/F/HS for $1,000. I saw a Legend Ti with ST stays at $1,500 for f/f/HS and know somebody who was interested at that price. I sold 3 Pegoretti rim brake bicycles this year for decent money.

I think there are some good deals out there, but they still aren't the norm. There have always been some pretty good deals on what has been considered old tech, but I prefer the old tech rim brake road bikes for my roads here. If I were doing long descents with steep downhill sections then the preference would go to disc, but for the stuff I typically ride a rim brake roadie with 25-28mm tires is more than adequate. I do have one disc road bike with 30mm tires, but it doesn't see too much use and when it does it usually involves some rough or dirt roads.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 08-29-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Good score! Tubular rims are not in demand which is likely the reason these were so cheap.

I keep hearing about the rim brake bike market being dead, but never see any of these cheap bikes anywhere. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places? No bikes are going for the inflated 2021-2022 prices anymore, so I would say the market has been corrected. Plenty of deals on new bikes out there which can also drop the prices on non niche older bikes.

Just for a couple of examples from the classifieds here. A standard first gen non Terraplane stay Kirk F/F/HS in the classifieds is $1200 and is the same vintage as the Terraplane Kirk I sold here years ago for $1,000. There is a nice rim brake Moots RSL for over 7k in the classifieds. I sold a similar vintage RSL 5 years ago F/F/HS for $1,000. I saw a Legend Ti with ST stays at $1,500 for f/f/HS and know somebody who was interested at that price. I sold 3 Pegoretti rim brake bicycles this year for decent money.

I think there are some good deals out there, but they still aren't the norm. There have always been some pretty good deals on what has been considered old tech, but I prefer the old tech rim brake road bikes for my roads here. If I were doing long descents with steep downhill sections then the preference would go to disc, but for the stuff I typically ride a rim brake roadie with 25-28mm tires is more than adequate. I do have one disc road bike with 30mm tires, but it doesn't seem too much use and when it does it usually involves some rough or dirt roads.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I agree. I think that there exists a small body of people who have developed very specific tastes and preferences for nice equipment. Their tastes have always been catered to by niche, craftsman suppliers and both sides exist outside of the marketing efforts of the mainstream. The fact that there is a very depressed market for equipment more than a few years old in the mainstream has some effect around the fringes but not beyond. I congratulate Nick on the great bargain that he got on the wheels. If I had known about that auction, he would not have gotten them for $100!
Old 08-29-2024, 10:06 AM

This is actually pretty interesting and maybe just a generational shift, it feels like it was pretty recently the Paceline was still advocating for Tubulars being greatly superior and now the attitude here is they are done and to be dismissed with.

I was never a tubular person anyway, they were never practical for me and I never even knew anyone personally who raced on them 20 years ago.

The transition sure snuck up on us I guess.. perhaps starting when all that data on clinchers being lower RR started coming out?