Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2024, 03:30 PM

I’ve had my AXS battery die more times than I care to admit. If I’m lucky I get some advance warning and can shift into a good single speed gear and remove the battery and finish the ride SS. If I’m unlucky I get no warning and get stuck in too hard a gear. If I’m very unlucky I get stuck in too easy a gear.

I still do not carry a spare, but I have gotten better about keeping the batteries charged.
Old 10-02-2024, 03:57 PM

I have never carried a spare battery. If I know I have a long 4+ hour ride, they both get charged up.

The one and only time a battery died on me was on a ride where the temps dipped below freezing plus the wind chill, battery lost a lot of its charge that day. On that same ride my Garmin 1030 also died and I got a flat. It really was one of those days.
Old 10-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

SRAM AXS app also will tell you battery levels. That comes in handy for the shifter and powermeter 2032 levels.

I don't carry a spare though to answer your question.
Old 10-02-2024, 04:45 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Who here carries spare batteries?
On a ride? No.
When I bring my bike on vacation I'll pack the charger, but then also a spare battery just in case.
But I've never had to use it.
Old 10-02-2024, 04:53 PM

I carry a spare (two bikes, each w/ one battery).

There are some nifty (but also not really necessary) after market gadgets to store the spare on your bike, I got this one because I like gadgets

https://leapcomponents.com/product/s...-saddle-mount/

This guy also makes some but I haven't tried them (and I'm sure you could print your own if you have a 3d printer).

https://jankcomponents.com/collectio...tery-holders-1
Old 10-02-2024, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
On a ride? No.
When I bring my bike on vacation I'll pack the charger, but then also a spare battery just in case.
But I've never had to use it.
I keep a couple of batteries on chargers in the console of my car so I always can install fresh batteries when traveling if I have doubts. I change the 2032 batteries in my shifters and PM once at the beginning of each season to be safe.

The problem I’ve had is not the batteries running down, but the plastic lip that inserts into the bottom of the battery holder on the derailleurs cracking off on two different batteries. Both times it was while installing the batteries pre-ride, and both times the batteries were old.

Between my wife and I, we have 4 AXS bikes, and over the years probably have accumulated 12 batteries. I have a 4-battery charger in my home, and always have batteries on that charger, as well as the two in my car.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:06 PM

Amazon has knock off sram batteries that are just under 20 bucks

I carry one as I tend to forget. Keep one in my go bag, too. Utilized them more than I care to admit.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:48 PM

Nope, never carry a spare. I just blip each of front and rear before a ride and if both LEDs are green, I’m good. If only one is green and it’s a short-ish solo ride, I’m still good — worst case is I lose one battery and can only shift the rear. Longer and/or group ride, yeah, I might swap out the yellow one before leaving. It’s a bike ride, not a mission to Mars.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Amazon has knock off sram batteries that are just under 20 bucks

I carry one as I tend to forget. Keep one in my go bag, too. Utilized them more than I care to admit.
No way — I’ve bought way too many things on Amazon that are supposed to be genuine that turn out to be junk — even the branded “real” stuff.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:58 PM

I have a couple that I use as spares, they don't last nearly as long as the SRAM ones but have been fine as back-ups.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:25 PM

I carry an Amazon knock-off as a spare but use Sram batteries on the derailleurs. I've had my karoo show the RD battery in the red, swapped with the FD and both showed as green and was good for hundreds of more miles. I get roughly 750 miles between charges.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:28 PM

The ones I have are a bit smaller in size to boot. Perfect as a back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolface View Post
I have a couple that I use as spares, they don't last nearly as long as the SRAM ones but have been fine as back-ups.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:31 PM

Then you're not a virgin

It is enough to get you home, and then some. They've been fine, all the smarts are in the rear derailleur. It's like an expensive 9 volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
No way — I’ve bought way too many things on Amazon that are supposed to be genuine that turn out to be junk — even the branded “real” stuff.
Old 10-02-2024, 10:09 PM

I change the shifter and power meter battery once a year. I check the batteries with the app before a ride, and during the summer when I'm riding 5 or more times a week, I charge the batteries on Sunday night. This time of year, most of my rides are on dirt, and those bikes are mechanical.
Old 10-03-2024, 12:40 AM

I don’t carry a spare, but I try to charge the batteries every couple of weeks. In about 10,000 miles I’ve run batteries dead only once on a ride, but I was with a buddy so I just used his batteries to shift to a gear that would get me home and gave them back. So maybe instead of spare batteries, bring a friend with AXS shifting.

One time i put the batteries on the charger, got ready to ride, and headed out the door. At the bottom of the driveway (1/2 mile, 450’ very), I tried to shift and realized the batteries were still on the charger. It was an embarrassing trudge back up the hill to fetch them.