Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 06:17 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
More bikes use UDH than any other derailleur hanger.
so, while I'm not worried about not being able to find a UDH hanger in the future, I do wonder about this statement.. and by that, I mean I can understand there may be more models that use a UDH vs non-UDH, but I think that statement doesn't pay enough attention to the number of bikes that are sold without a UDH.. and I'm not talking about a walmart bike.. consider that all of the Lauf bikes seem to run a UDH, but none of the Specialized road/gravel bikes run a UDH (with the exception of the new Crux).. how many Roubaix/Tarmac/Diverge bikes are sold with a regular hanger? How about Giants?

I'm not just trying to be contrarian here, but am considering what gravel bike I might get and and really wondering if I need a UDH.. I can't really remember having that many issues with hangers in the past.. even when racing cross.. I certainly wouldn't care if a bike had a UDH, but not sure I care if it doesn't..

on a slightly different topic- anyone have a word on if Specialized is looking to put UDH on a new Diverge anytime soon?
Old 08-26-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so, while I'm not worried about not being able to find a UDH hanger in the future, I do wonder about this statement.. and by that, I mean I can understand there may be more models that use a UDH vs non-UDH, but I think that statement doesn't pay enough attention to the number of bikes that are sold without a UDH.. and I'm not talking about a walmart bike.. consider that all of the Lauf bikes seem to run a UDH, but none of the Specialized road/gravel bikes run a UDH (with the exception of the new Crux).. how many Roubaix/Tarmac/Diverge bikes are sold with a regular hanger? How about Giants?

I'm not just trying to be contrarian here, but am considering what gravel bike I might get and and really wondering if I need a UDH.. I can't really remember having that many issues with hangers in the past.. even when racing cross.. I certainly wouldn't care if a bike had a UDH, but not sure I care if it doesn't..

on a slightly different topic- anyone have a word on if Specialized is looking to put UDH on a new Diverge anytime soon?
My point was that the non-UDH market is so fragmented that finding a particular non-UDH hanger is actually quite difficult. Often times brands use some common hangers between their models, but historically, Specialized has used a totally different hanger than Giant, who both use a different hanger than Cannondale, etc.

And given that the trend seems to be more towards UDH than otherwise, getting a replacement UDH hanger will only get easier, while getting a non-UDH replacement hanger will get harder.

As for actual bike-buying decisions, I personally wouldn't put the ease of sourcing a replacement derailleur hanger anywhere near the top of the list of features I'm looking for in a new bike. BUT, if you do value that (which the OP to this thread apparently does), that should make a person more likely to want a UDH, not less.
Old 08-26-2024, 06:48 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
My point was that the non-UDH market is so fragmented that finding a particular non-UDH hanger is actually quite difficult.
100%. It aggregated me to no end when I’ve snapped a hanger. Especially if the bike was an older model and the manufacturer didn’t have any on-hand.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Who told you you can’t use regular derailers? You should be able to. Pictures on Flint’s product page shows exactly that. Also compatible with SRAM’s transmission. Hence the name, “Universal” derailer hanger.

It’s pretty amazing when used with Transmission. Shifts are crisp. Even mashing uphill, mid-pedal stroke. It’s here to stay.
I keep hearing this, but my bikes with 12sp Shimano XT, 12sp GRX 820, and 11sp Dura-Ace all do the same. I've never ridden Transmission so I won't say it doesn't do it better, but it's so weird that this is such a big talking point when all my Shimano stuff (all of which is mechanical) seems to do the same thing at a fraction of the cost and without any need to keep batteries charged. RD shifts have been smooth every time whether putting down power or not.