Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 07:36 PM

as a sidebar, anyone have any difficulty with road tubeless tires unseating at the bead when attempting to add sealant, as PM? i ride hutchinson sectors, and have always had a problem with the bead unseating when attempting to add additional sealant. never had this problem with any of my mtb tires (mostly Schwalbes).
Old 11-27-2017, 08:49 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I don't see anything on their website to indicate these tires are tubeless ready.

???
http://www.irc-tire.com/en/bc/produc...l/roadlite_tl/
Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 AM

I have about 2000 miles on a set of Panaracer Race A EVO3 Tubeless 25mm. They tick all the boxes.
Have a buddy that has a lot of miles on IRC tubeless. He is finicky about tires and has stuck with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonoeightysix View Post
as a sidebar, anyone have any difficulty with road tubeless tires unseating at the bead when attempting to add sealant, as PM? i ride hutchinson sectors, and have always had a problem with the bead unseating when attempting to add additional sealant. never had this problem with any of my mtb tires (mostly Schwalbes).
Just for clarity....I assume that you are saying that when you deflate the tire the bead goes back toward the center of the rim so that it is no longer seated. Which then means you need to reseat the tire during re-inflation. Rather than coming off the rim altogether.
As usual it depends on the tire and rim, but is fairly common with road tubeless. Nothing to worry about but it does mean you get some extra practice seating tubeless tires.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonoeightysix View Post

That’s my biggest nightmare too. I had no problem installing the tire Tubeless. My problem is unbead and remove the tire.
What I was told is that is very tire dependent. Meaning people with Clement and Compass had no reported problems unbeading the tire whereas ppl with Schwalbe had difficulties. I am part of the latter camp so I asked ENVE for help and this is their answer:

“...Schwalbe tires are among the tightest beads but not to worry, with a little technique they can come off fairly easy. Typically to start I'll wedge the wheel into my waist as I am hunched over and grip my hands in the 12 o'clock position all the way around the tire and press downward using my palms rather than my thumbs. That works great most on the time but on particularly stubborn tires, I'll rest the wheel on the ground and kneel on the wheel using the same method as above but this gives you much better leverage...”

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NoMoreParagon; 11-28-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM

thanks again everyone! Looks like i have some final decisions to make on this pick. Doesn't seem to be a unanimous go-to out there yet.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 AM

I ran the Hutchinson Sector 28s tubeless ready version and had an odd issue of the sidewall near the rim peeling back. Some web searching showed a few others with the same issue and they continued to ride the tires but it kind of freaked me out so I retired them. I didn't pursue this with Hutchinson.
Other than that and the cost they worked well even on pretty chunky gravel/dirt. Wheels were Stans Alpha 340.

Tags
road tire, tubeless