Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2024, 10:45 AM

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/biking.aspx

I haven't been there, but would like to and have always enjoyed the weather in the NW around this time of year and next month. There's a fair amount of information posted there and a link to a route map that looks pretty sweet to me.

I spent two summers in the DC area, I was outside most of the time, and I was usually soaking wet.
Old 07-19-2024, 10:59 AM

I was going to mention Vancouver also. I have really enjoyed all my trips there and have found it to be quite bike friendly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/biking.aspx

I haven't been there, but would like to and have always enjoyed the weather in the NW around this time of year and next month. There's a fair amount of information posted there and a link to a route map that looks pretty sweet to me.

I spent two summers in the DC area, I was outside most of the time, and I was usually soaking wet.
Old 07-19-2024, 11:04 AM

Yeah, I've always been fascinated by that area. Moreso because I had a road trip planned there in college that I skipped because I got offered pocket change to work an extra month but I couldn't pass up easy money back then.

I was just sitting here thinking after looking that up that I need get up there and ride around. My problem is I'll want to kick around the city then get lost in BC proper, I need one of those sabbaticals.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:36 PM

I’m going to throw Boston on the list, our infrastructure has significantly improved over the last decade. Pretty flat, also good for runners. Lots to see, and the cycling outside the city is great and easy to get to. I would say it might take a bit more planning than some of the other places on your list (like DC) re best cycling routes.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:39 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
I’m going to throw Boston on the list, our infrastructure has significantly improved over the last decade. Pretty flat, also good for runners. Lots to see, and the cycling outside the city is great and easy to get to. I would say it might take a bit more planning than some of the other places on your list (like DC) re best cycling routes.
Added. I’ve always wanted to visit.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:45 PM

We went to Montreal annually for four days in the summer until Covid19 and once there never drove the car. Tons to see and do, best cycling infrastructure in NA, and great food.
Old 07-20-2024, 05:00 AM

If montreal is an option, tome it for the weekend of the world tour race, it's a sight to see.
Old 07-20-2024, 05:22 AM

The Twin Cities has a great cycling infrastructure. And it's beautiful at this time of year.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:39 PM
n - 1

Ok, so after looking at the astronomical plane tickets to some of these destinations, I was able to find a good deal on tickets to San Diego.
Unfortunately, we won’t be able to go before school starts but I did book for mid-October. Should hopefully be good riding weather.
I’m hoping cycling infrastructure is ok there. Seems to be plenty of restaurants as well as lots of things to do. Looking forward to riding out to the cost (ie Mission Beach) and riding along the boardwalk. I think (hope) it’ll be a good first bike trip for her.
Old 07-28-2024, 01:14 AM

San Diego will be awesome. Thumbs up on your choice.

If you change your mind, I’ll vote for Vancouver. I’m here now and am incredibly impressed. Weather is in the low 70’s. The 6 mile one way loop around Stanley Park is one of the most beautiful city rides I’ve done. There are many big dedicated bike lanes. Lots to do in downtown via bike.
Old 07-28-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Ok, so after looking at the astronomical plane tickets to some of these destinations, I was able to find a good deal on tickets to San Diego.
Unfortunately, we won’t be able to go before school starts but I did book for mid-October. Should hopefully be good riding weather.
I’m hoping cycling infrastructure is ok there. Seems to be plenty of restaurants as well as lots of things to do. Looking forward to riding out to the cost (ie Mission Beach) and riding along the boardwalk. I think (hope) it’ll be a good first bike trip for her.
As a SD local I'd be happy to comment on your thoughts about lodging, dining, rides, etc. October weather will be perfect! Take a look ay hotels on Mission Bay like The Bahia or Catamaran. A unique option is The Cottages ON The Crystal Pier where youare living OVER the ocean waves. Bahia has roomy cottage-like accommodations too with room to stretch out and store bikes.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 07-28-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2024, 05:30 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
As a SD local I'd be happy to comment on your thoughts about lodging, dining, rides, etc. October weather will be perfect! Take a look ay hotels on Mission Bay like The Bahia or Catamaran. A unique option is The Cottages ON The Crystal Pier where youare living OVER the ocean waves. Bahia has roomy cottage-like accommodations too with room to stretch out and store bikes.
Thanks! I’ll check out those lodging options!
Old 09-27-2024, 01:23 PM

How are your plans coming along? I have been getting email offers for post-Summer deals on lodging probably because we did a staycation a few years ago.
Old 09-27-2024, 02:32 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How are your plans coming along? I have been getting email offers for post-Summer deals on lodging probably because we did a staycation a few years ago.
I have a reservation at Holiday Inn express just south of Sea World. It’s close enough from the airport where we could ride to it. And close enough to some of the sites around Mission Bay for easy riding.
But if you have other suggestions, I’m all ears. I looked at the other lodging suggestions but little too expensive for me 😅
Old 09-27-2024, 07:51 PM

There are a few HIEs but I'm guessing you are talking about the one on Jupiter? Close to airport and Mission Bay but pretty heavy traffic and no where good to eat within walking distance. How do you feel about riding after dark on busy streets because there are some good places you could reach that way. OTOH I don't know what you could do with your bikes while eating dinner, Hmmm, UBER? might ruin the budget.

If you find other places that are budget friendly tell me about them and I'll give you my opinion on the locations and THAT will be worth every penny you pay for it. My thought was if you have a place to stay near Mission Beach you could walk to MANY places to eat from taco stands to fine dining while watching the sunset and hearing/seeing the surf.