Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2024, 05:30 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
They have agreed to take the bike back. I would have preferred to just have the proper wheels instead as I do like the rest of the bike, but the bait and switch is enough for me to send it back. It's sad that this is what these companies have become. They even had the nerve to say I was the only one who notified them of this or even complained! I find it hard to believe nobody else dropping thousands on this bike noticed the lower end wheels!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
so they actually admitted to fraud.....nice.

How about they just fix the description on the website.......
Old 08-02-2024, 05:35 PM

I'm left still wondering if this is how Pinarello is supplying the bikes, or the LBS did something.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I'm left still wondering if this is how Pinarello is supplying the bikes, or the LBS did something.

Based on this review https://gearjunkie.com/biking/pinarello-grevil-f-review should be Fulcrum Rapid Red 500 wheels.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Based on this review https://gearjunkie.com/biking/pinarello-grevil-f-review should be Fulcrum Rapid Red 500 wheels.
Ok though that review is 2yrs ago, but is the LBS getting inventory shipped with that wheelset, or swapping out for a lesser model? I'm with the suggestion to reach out to Pinarello USA if there is such an entity.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
so they actually admitted to fraud.....nice.

How about they just fix the description on the website.......
Yeah I would have replied asking them if they chose not to update the specs knowing there was a difference just because they figured they'd get away with it.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Ok though that review is 2yrs ago, but is the LBS getting inventory shipped with that wheelset, or swapping out for a lesser model? I'm with the suggestion to reach out to Pinarello USA if there is such an entity.
The shop said it was Pinarello who shipped them out with the 900 wheels, but every single review, promotional video and their own website have the 500s listed as the wheelset. It's like ordering a set of Zondas and getting Khamsin instead.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 08-02-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
They have agreed to take the bike back. I would have preferred to just have the proper wheels instead as I do like the rest of the bike, but the bait and switch is enough for me to send it back. It's sad that this is what these companies have become. They even had the nerve to say I was the only one who notified them of this or even complained! I find it hard to believe nobody else dropping thousands on this bike noticed the lower end wheels!

I would have been the second. We all know how big a difference wheels can make, so switch what you said I was getting? Yeah, no.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I would have been the second. We all know how big a difference wheels can make, so switch what you said I was getting? Yeah, no.
Seems like the right thing to do! If the stated wheels are unavailable then the replacement wheels should be equal to or better than the wheels they are replacing...not worse!
Old 08-02-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Seems like the right thing to do! If the stated wheels are unavailable then the replacement wheels should be equal to or better than the wheels they are replacing...not worse!
Never heard of anyone doing otherwise
Old 08-02-2024, 07:26 PM

While the difference between the wheels are about 100g or so, the internal width for the cheaper version is 19 mm versus 23 mm. That is enough of a difference for gravel tires.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
While the difference between the wheels are about 100g or so, the internal width for the cheaper version is 19 mm versus 23 mm. That is enough of a difference for gravel tires.
Yup! It's an entirely different wheelset and doesn't belong on this bike. Even the 500s are the weak link of the build, but make a suitable all around wheelset by comparison and are wide enough to accommodate the 700c 50mm clearance of the bike.

Old 08-02-2024, 08:17 PM

Specifying lower parts was very common during the COVID19 pandemic. Bike companies just couldn't get the parts they wanted. Was this a leftover from that era?
Old 08-02-2024, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Specifying lower parts was very common during the COVID19 pandemic. Bike companies just couldn't get the parts they wanted. Was this a leftover from that era?
Yes, I believe the Grevil F came out in 2022, but the Pinarello site, Epic Cycles site and all of the press videos along with the stock photos specify the Rapid Red 500. They delivered them with a heavier less wide lower end wheelset in 2024 without stating this.

Old 08-02-2024, 08:38 PM

This is a hazard of shopping on the interwebs. I always buy nice stuff but I cheap out a bit on a complete bike because I already own my preferred wheelset. Stock wheels are almost always mediocre unless you buy the top spec...and they you over pay. They go on used bike that are going to new home

Probably par for the course on temu and aliexpress. But you did state that you got a great deal. Wheels are are cheap too. Factor in the cost of what you'd like to roll on. Industry 9 and boyd are crazy cheap right now

Last edited by peanutgallery; 08-02-2024 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
This is a hazard of shopping on the interwebs. I always buy nice stuff but I cheap out a bit on a complete bike because I already own my preferred wheelset. Stock wheels are almost always mediocre unless you buy the top spec...and they you over pay. They go on used bike that are going to new home

Probably par for the course on temu and aliexpress. But you did state that you got a great deal. Wheels are are cheap too. Factor in the cost of what you'd like to roll on. Industry 9 and boyd are crazy cheap right now
I have a set of i9 65s that I plan on using, but the Rapid Red 500s it was supposed to come with were a reasonable all around wheelset. They were a 1700ish gram 23 inner width rim and the 900s they shipped with are 1900ish grams with a 19 inner width. There is no disclaimer anywhere about a possible wheel or component change and all the reviews, photos , videos and websites state the 500 as the stock wheelset for this model. The price for the bike was still $3,300 which isn't exactly cheap and I definitely wouldn't have bought the bike with the Rapid Red 900 wheels. There are quite a few retaillers with the same deal on this bike or better, but I had bought a Stumpjumper from Epic Cycles before without an issue.