Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2024, 11:12 AM

Im not saying that it is not all marketing but it looks like a minimum on that one dimension is the extent of the ETRTO standard as far as the hook itself goes, which would seem to allow for at least some design variation; eg in the shape or thickness? Its not just a Campy thing apparently. I saw it mentioned somewhere when I was selecting new wheels and dont think it was Campy.
Old 09-19-2024, 01:23 PM

I use Levante on road with 32’s - measure 34mm and feel great. These are Compass Stampede Pass so running with latex tubes, no experience with tubeless at 32mm.

They ride really nicely on road. 3 things I note - rims are wide in relation to tire so edges may get damaged at curbs /dips etc if side of wheel touches as not much tire sidewall protection; they have offset rims to account for cassette body on rear and rotor on front so good for wheel integrity but not sure if this has ‘aero’ issues / beefy spokes and nipples compared to my other road wheels (but surprisingly light wheels despite this) so if you carry a spoke tool on rides, you might need to size up
Old 09-19-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
I use Levante on road with 32’s - measure 34mm and feel great. These are Compass Stampede Pass so running with latex tubes, no experience with tubeless at 32mm.

They ride really nicely on road. 3 things I note - rims are wide in relation to tire so edges may get damaged at curbs /dips etc if side of wheel touches as not much tire sidewall protection; they have offset rims to account for cassette body on rear and rotor on front so good for wheel integrity but not sure if this has ‘aero’ issues / beefy spokes and nipples compared to my other road wheels (but surprisingly light wheels despite this) so if you carry a spoke tool on rides, you might need to size up
This is something that concerns me as well. My carbon rims measure 29mm on the outside. I had a front blowout when running tires that measured 30mm wide. As you say, there was little rubber protecting the rim so it got a few scuffs and white marks as I was unable to stop right away. That said, the rims held up really well. Still, I think I prefer tires a few mm wider than the rim for a bit of protection and aero benefits be damned.

Tim