Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2024, 07:13 AM
Administrator

I've never tried a front basket, so I dont know, the handling is OK on that BMC above with the huge basket and bag? doesnt look like it would be, but as mentioned, I have no experience here.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:23 AM

Another vote for rear panniers. I tried using just an Ortlieb rear rack and rack-top bag, but it didn’t easily carry everything I needed. I eventually bit the bullet and got one of the Ortlieb high-Vis Back-Roller pannier bags. It’s perfect for bringing clothes, lunch, and laptop on the commute, and the high-vis helps with waking up inattentive drivers, especially at night.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:58 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I've never tried a front basket, so I dont know, the handling is OK on that BMC above with the huge basket and bag? doesnt look like it would be, but as mentioned, I have no experience here.
The handling is great- predictable and stable.
The rack and bag stay on the bike so it's used for errands too- it's really convenient.
...the only time the handling is squirrely is when there is a heavy load in the bag and I am not yet riding. The fork will swing left or right quickly due to weight. But actually riding?...yeah that's stable. I am only averaging like 13-15mph ony commutes, so its not like I am carving up hairpin turns on mountain decents.
Old 09-16-2024, 08:27 AM

I commute into a busy downtown area and wouldn't feel comfortable with my gear being on a front basket and slowing down my handling. Drivers are crazy and I constantly dodge things as I go.

My laptop and work things go in an Ortlieb pannier on a rear rack. They survive the crummy roads, potholes, and other obstacles just fine. A backpack makes my back sweaty which isn't great when I get to the office.
Old 09-16-2024, 08:57 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
It really depends on the geometry. My Davidson was so nice without a front rack that I put loads on my back for years. Then I finally tried a front rack and basket and it rode even better. My revelation, wow, Bill and Bob know how to design for a front load. I’d asked them to do it and then waited years to make sure it worked! Anyway, the only time that bike felt even slightly overloaded was when I had to switch from a MacBook Air to the big one.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:00 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by harblhat View Post
I commute into a busy downtown area and wouldn't feel comfortable with my gear being on a front basket and slowing down my handling. Drivers are crazy and I constantly dodge things as I go.

My laptop and work things go in an Ortlieb pannier on a rear rack. They survive the crummy roads, potholes, and other obstacles just fine. A backpack makes my back sweaty which isn't great when I get to the office.
I realize I am quickly looking like a staunch advocate for basket commuting and this next comment won't help.
- slowing down the steering feeling doesn't mean steering is slow. The bike has like 65mm or trail and is pretty neutral for steering in the world of gravel/commuter bikes. I am just as nimble on the bike with a basket as I am when I rode it as my gravel bike and used it on riverbottom twisty flat singletrack.

Totally understand it isn't for everyone. Totally recognize that my setup works only because the frame is large enough and dropbars are wide enough to barely accommodate the basket. That's why I suggested the Goldilocks sized French basket.
But at the same time, it is super easy, safe, and convenient to use a basket setup once it's properly set up.
To be clear, I commute between an inner suburb and a mid-sized city. Most of the riding is city residential roads. I have ridden the bike in downtown Chicago a few times, thru the Loop, Wrigleyvilleand surrounding neighborhoods and it's no different from every other bike I've ridden in the same/similar roads.

As you say and I posted earlier- a single rear pannier is also a great option. It's dead simple to set up initially too.
And I fully agree with your backpack comment- wanting to use a backpack is something I will never understand. Heck, my back starts threatening to protest and sweat when I toss my backpack on and walk from my car in the parking lot into my work. I can't imagine the flood of sweat if I rode 7.5mi with a couple of hills with a backpack. Those that can ride with a backpack and not look like they just finished a marathon are a breed that I don't understand and am jealous of!
Old 09-16-2024, 09:08 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Anyway, the only time that bike felt even slightly overloaded was when I had to switch from a MacBook Air to the big one.
My laptop is a 15" Microsoft Surface Book 3 that weighs 4.3#. I love it for use, but it's a beast in size and weight.
I recently swapped to a basic iPad10 since I just need it to dock to my monitors and peripherals at home and in the office. Oh my gosh the weight and size are so much more convenient! Obvious observation, but 1# is a lot nicer to carry around than 4.3# in every scenario.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I realize I am quickly looking like a staunch advocate for basket commuting and this next comment won't help.
- slowing down the steering feeling doesn't mean steering is slow. The bike has like 65mm or trail and is pretty neutral for steering in the world of gravel/commuter bikes. I am just as nimble on the bike with a basket as I am when I rode it as my gravel bike and used it on riverbottom twisty flat singletrack.

Totally understand it isn't for everyone. Totally recognize that my setup works only because the frame is large enough and dropbars are wide enough to barely accommodate the basket. That's why I suggested the Goldilocks sized French basket.
But at the same time, it is super easy, safe, and convenient to use a basket setup once it's properly set up.
To be clear, I commute between an inner suburb and a mid-sized city. Most of the riding is city residential roads. I have ridden the bike in downtown Chicago a few times, thru the Loop, Wrigleyvilleand surrounding neighborhoods and it's no different from every other bike I've ridden in the same/similar roads.

As you say and I posted earlier- a single rear pannier is also a great option. It's dead simple to set up initially too.
And I fully agree with your backpack comment- wanting to use a backpack is something I will never understand. Heck, my back starts threatening to protest and sweat when I toss my backpack on and walk from my car in the parking lot into my work. I can't imagine the flood of sweat if I rode 7.5mi with a couple of hills with a backpack. Those that can ride with a backpack and not look like they just finished a marathon are a breed that I don't understand and am jealous of!
Thanks all for the suggestions -- and I'm a fan of carrying gear on the front too.

Here's the bike in question:

It rides well with some weight on the front. I had the same setup on an AC Spacehorse for years (which I sold for the bridgestone) that also rode excellent. I don't find that it slows steering too much and makes the bike feel more planted and stable. I really dislike the feel of all the weight on the back wheel with a rack.

I'm leaning towards trying out a saddle bag as suggested. Drybag usually goes in the front with tools, lunchbox, and the u lock, then maybe stuff a laptop in a saddle bag? I know this is probably the wrong forum but the swift and Riv bags cost as much as a I paid for said bike above so open to any other suggestions.

It also sounds like the larger wald from your pics would work too. Just not sure about bars as I'm not a fan of the wide drop bar trend currently. Maybe I'll reconsider flat bars.

Last edited by lorenbike; 09-16-2024 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
Drybag usually goes in the front with tools, lunchbox, and the u lock, then maybe stuff a laptop in a saddle bag?
Laptop in a saddle bag sounds like it'd make for a terrible riding experience versus a pannier hanging off a rack either on the front or rear.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Very few employers are going to issue a second laptop. And even fewer will be ok with an employee moving files back & forth onto a personal device.
I didn't expect the employer to provide the laptop; I would buy my own.

You could store all your files on a removable drive vs. having copies reside on the second laptop.

Another alternative would be a secure tunnel VPN to the computer left at work.
It certainly would depend on the security of the files, the employer, and the I.T. department, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:22 PM

this is my set up.
short trips without the computer the Topeak with drop down side flaps does the carrying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (150.9 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by kiwisimon; 09-17-2024 at 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot the pic, duh!
Old 09-17-2024, 08:36 PM

I sometimes have to wear nice clothes at work, and discovered the Two Wheel Gear garment bag years ago — very well made, etc. they have expanded their offerings and now make a variety of backpack panniers you might want to check out. https://twowheelgear.com/ they put a lot of thought into design features, mounting system etc.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
This. There aren't really any moving parts on a modern laptop (beyond the hinge and maybe a small fan). Big shocks from a drop will damage it, but I don't think normal transport in a pannier would be a problem.
I've been commuting with my computer in a bag connected to a rear rack for almost 20 years now. I've never had an issue.

I think I'm on year six of a Caradice shoulder bag, and still liking it: https://carradice.co.uk/collections/...48514945122631

For someone who really doesn't like any weight on the rear of the bike, I'd suggest trying a stiffer rack. A real touring rack like a Tubus makes a big difference.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:28 PM

I've used a Vaude messenger bag to hold my laptop while commuting for many years with no issue. The bag has convenient rack attachments ( here is the current version) and was the only such bag I could find at the time. Now many make something similar.

Old 09-18-2024, 03:29 PM

I was looking at the Soma Front Rack and a Wald basket today. I also have a Space Horse for this, so it's good to hear the front works better.

I have a 16" laptop. This last couple years if I bike commute I've just been wearing my backpack, but it makes it more likely my back gets sweaty and it's not that fun.

I have a rear rack and used to have panniers and I absolutely hated that setup. The handling wasn't great, and if you have a big laptop it's almost a guarantee you end up with the bike off balance because you've got this one heavy item. Carrying only one pannier seemed even worse.

Not having used a front rack what about getting out of the saddle? Out of the saddle was very sketchy when I used the rear rack + panniers.

The panniers were also just fiddly to load and unload and mount/unmount off the bike.

Backpack in a basket seems like it saves a lot of time. Most of the time I am not targeting changing my clothes so I don't actually need to carry a ton of stuff. The vast majority of my commutes over the years were 10+ miles so I was wearing bike clothes and showering/changing. That really ends up meaning you need to carry a ton more stuff.

I am absolutely convinced if the distance is short enough street clothes + regular shoes + a quick lockup + getaway is way more than worth it as it eliminates the maximum amount of "extra time" stuff that you don't need to do when driving a car.

My commute is not much longer on bike than car (assuming best case scenario for the car.. in average or worse the bike easily beats the car), but if the bike option involves a shower and changing clothes on each end the bike option suddenly takes an extra hour over the car option.

My rear rack is Blackburn and the quality is pretty meh... the Soma looks quite a bit more expensive does anyone have any experience with that one? What about Surly?

Last edited by benb; 09-18-2024 at 03:34 PM.