Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2024, 09:31 PM

I have the 3 tray Heavy Duty, and it fits my ~55lb eMTB with a 1260mm wheelbase with ease. I recently did a 5 hour road trip with 2 eMTBs and a standard MTB, and it was rock solid.

I was also intrigued by the Kuat, but it weighs 24lbs MORE than the 1up. Since I'm moving the rack between vehicles often, and thinking that my wife would need to put it on if I'm out of town, I wanted the lightest/strongest possible. That's the 1up.

3 bike Kuat Piston Pro X = 89lbs
3 bike 1up Heavy Duty = 47lbs + 18.5lbs add-on = 65.5lbs

Last edited by JAGI410; 08-12-2024 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2024, 10:01 AM

Recently bought a 1 up QuickRack with the smaller hitch size.

Not sure of exact wheelbase but I know he has a YT Izzo XL that fits with absolutely no troubles and it has quite a long wheelbase.

Thoughts so far:

Pros:
  • love having nothing touch the bike frame
  • adjusting the arms to different wheel sizes for kids bikes etc is easy
  • love having a single tray that I can add to, a lot of the time I just need one bike on there and it is nice and compact when not in use
  • love the ability to easily offset the bikes in the trays to avoid the bikes colliding (I hated not having the ability to do this on my old Kuat sherpa)

Neutral:
  • TBD on the ball cam to secure/eliminate play in the receiver, seems to work really well, I am always surprised at how much force I need to tighten it, and how little far I need to loosen it after driving around with the bikes

Cons:
  • the ratchet system feels very unrefined, the teeth are already showing wear after a few months of ownership. It is very finicky to hold the lever in the right position to open them
  • the lever to adjust the tilt sucks—it is so clunky to pull and gets stuck
  • everything I have read (after purchasing) says that customer support is hit and miss and they can be quite defense so a bit worried about that (Kuat has fantastic support/warranty)
  • the little velcro security strap feels cheap, hitch pin would have been way better
Old 08-13-2024, 10:30 AM

Mine came with a hitch pin lock. 2” - Also, don’t forget 1UP is made in Wisconsin, USA. 🇺🇸 It can be difficult to source bike items from US manufacturing, so I buy USA when possible -
Old 08-13-2024, 02:37 PM

Swapped my 1Up for a Rocky Mounts GuideRail.

SOOO much better, and the built-in lock chain is a bonus.