Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Exactly. It should shouldn't be. "Cycling is suffering" and its derivatives are stupid adages that get taken way too far and out of context, preventing common sense, or what ought to be common sense, to prevail over the sport's obsession with hardman posturing stupidity.
People are not chattel. It doesn't matter how much they are getting paid or how much time, money, and effort have gone into the organization of an event -from a local crit to the Tour de France. If conditions are unsafe, the event should be postponed, abbreviated, otherwise altered, or cancelled.

Where do we draw the safety line? That's something that a conversation between riders, management, and organizers can decide.

Watching that one World Tour Pro practically fall off his bike with hypothermia a few months ago after racing for hours in the freezing rain just makes me hate the sport of cycling. I will always love the activity, but I have zero love for the sport.
I've read it took an hour before it was figured out that she was missing because they don't have radios or GPS tracking. It seems that tracking the riders would be a low cost safety improvement. In some cases, how long it takes to rescue and get a rider to the hospital might matter.
Old 09-27-2024, 05:55 PM

I can easily remember when those wimpy F1 drivers and MotoGP whiners got together after deciding that becoming dead didn't really signify manliness. Shameless woosies !
Old 09-27-2024, 06:09 PM

something to be said for crash detection in the head unit, reporting back to coach/ ds
Old 09-27-2024, 06:29 PM
Kind of OK

This was always going to happen. Road racing has become so fast and aggressive. I've watched so many close crashes, seen so many hospital thumbs up photo ops.
I hadn't heard of this young person before today, but her death is hitting me hard. The worst since Amy D. Perhaps it's because I'm a girl dad with a daughter not much older.
Old 09-27-2024, 09:02 PM

I'm assuming none of you have never competed in an event promoted by Gene Dixon? Carpet over RR tracks in the apex of a turn...in the rain. Pretty much any old skool superweek event...in the rain

It's an unfortunate tragedy and sadly its always been part of the game. I really feel for the family as its just one of those things that can happen to any of us. Just thankful it doesn't happen more often

These professional exerciser events in the US put together by fly by night promoters with an MBA on open roads? Where there's $$$ to be made, your safety becomes a thing. Sad stuff
Old 09-27-2024, 10:52 PM

A rider died on the course. I’d say that exceeds the definition of “dangerous.” I think I understand the point you’re trying to make, but just because your friend doesn’t die of lung cancer doesn’t mean it’s not fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
RIP Muriel. It's tragic when we lose a young soul.

Lots of strong opinions from people with no skin in the game. Give me a break.

Paceline hive mind doesn't want racing in the rain, down mountains, in strong winds, no sprints, no TT bikes.

For the record.... a few of my son's teammates amd training partners were racing in both the junior women's race and junior men's race.

A friend was there yesterday. The conditions were hard but they weren't dangerous..
Old 09-28-2024, 04:53 AM

The course looks to be safe.
Some kind of tracker solution seems an option. If a tracker is not moving go check.
Of course this could have happened in any little race anywhere.
A motorbike rider on Deals Gap lay a night and day off the mountainside and died this week. It must be devastating being severely injured and nobody knows where you're at.
Old 09-28-2024, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Paceline hive mind doesn't want racing in the rain, down mountains, in strong winds, no sprints, no TT bikes.

For the record.... a few of my son's teammates amd training partners were racing in both the junior women's race and junior men's race.

A friend was there yesterday. The conditions were hard but they weren't dangerous..
Quote:
I'd rather not engage in this thread about the death of a young racer.
I have to agree with Permanent socks. I typed a response which would be construed as opposite to the consensus here, and revised it many times, until I thought better. Best left unspoken.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:15 AM

It sounds like a tragic accident and a young woman is no longer with us. I am all for the tracking of the athletes as a debit/credit card is equipped with RFID, so why not a helmet for the racers?

Unfortunately the limits get pushed in racing/sports and this happens from time to time. I am not sure it will ever be preventable given the nature of sport and the human desire to push the limits.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2024, 09:02 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

From what I’ve read they were on the final loop and her injury was severe head trauma. She was airlifted to the hospital.

Active tracking requires power - what they gave are passive - the same as credit cards.

Someone would have (and should have) to be reviewing the timing loops to see if all riders were accounted for.

But, while this is tragic to be sure, bicycle racing is still inherently dangerous - people crash all the time - and the sole protection is a helmet that would not be permitted in almost every other sport with wheels.

A sad story for sure.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-28-2024, 09:16 AM

For the sake of clearing up some confusion..

The incident is under review and no one knows for sure what happened.

Her family wanted the world championships to continue.

Over 1000 athletes have been racing on the course over several days... general concesus is that it was safe. Technical and wet, but safe.
Old 09-28-2024, 10:00 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
The incident is under review and no one knows for sure what happened.
That’s the only thing we know for sure…young kid…sad story.
Old 09-28-2024, 11:14 AM
Meh

Is it true that she was waiting for there for 1.5 hours without support or help? If true that would seem to be the paramount issue, as it could have been the difference between life and death.
Old 09-28-2024, 11:25 AM

Most of the info floating around is speculation. Very little is known about the events that led to her death...

What is known is where she went off the road and that she sustained a traumatic head injury that later claimed her life.

The UCI are placing more Marshall's where she went off the road, for today and tomorrow's races.
Old 09-28-2024, 03:12 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

If she was an independent rider (no trade team) her support could have been minimal and/or inexperienced.

Too many what ifs to know all the hows and whys

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.