Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I am learning that radiation ain't so simple. It's quite the lethal method of treatment that saves many lives, but, ahem, leaves it's mark. Many a time, permanently. Of course, an 80 year old man wouldn't be too concerned about intensive radiation aimed at his, you know.
There are different radiation treatments - radioactive seeds, low frequency-high dosage, and high frequency-low dosage. I had the low frequency-high dosage (5 treatments) and nearly at the 5-yr mark since treatment. I'm not sure the "mark" that you are referencing but I've had no side effects.

With surgery, there is a greater risk of permanent incontinence and ED. It's not a lot but in statistical terms it is more a fat tail risk -it's more skewed to patients over 60.

I got several second opinions from surgeons and radiologists before choosing- all from major health systems like Memorial Sloan Kettering. You'll find - not surprisingly - surgeons like to perform surgery and radiologist like to perform radiation. The risks from each are a personal choice.

On a more hopeful note, there is a laser surgery being developed (in clinical trials) as well as a vaccine in development.

Highly treatable disease if caught early (PSA annually!), deadly if it metastasizes, which seems to have happened to Chris Hoy. Sad news.

In 2019, one of the NJ local bike shop owners, Mary Epstein of Marty's Reliable Cycles, died of advance prostate cancer. He was always trying to advance the local cycling community with rides and races (mtb, fat bike, road, cross), and was instrumental in getting the NJ Grand Fondo established. Greatly missed but his son has picked up the banner.