Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Sounds like a nice peace of mind service for those who need it, but can we call it something else?
Yeah, "retrofitting" doesn't really seem to be the right name for this does it? Maybe "Colnago Heritage Certificate"?

Texbike
Old 10-05-2024, 08:49 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Pay for something that was always available. No thanks. I’m tired of being nickel and dimed.
Nickel and dimed? It's an optional service that would be used 1 time for most anyone who chooses to use it.
It's not like this validation service is required to sell or buy Colnago bikes.
Old 10-05-2024, 08:55 PM

Maybe someone can find out the story behind an Ernesto (not mine)? A few of these have surfaced in the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20241005_215135_Chrome.jpg (99.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20241005_215153_Chrome.jpg (46.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-06-2024, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Nickel and dimed? It's an optional service that would be used 1 time for most anyone who chooses to use it.
It's not like this validation service is required to sell or buy Colnago bikes.
I think the concern is that most all other manufacturers will tell you if your bike is real or not and even send you some stickers and the geo sheet for free.

By charging for the sticker and certificate, I wonder if those buying a used Colnago would require such a thing before purchase?
Old 10-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I think the concern is that most all other manufacturers will tell you if your bike is real or not and even send you some stickers and the geo sheet for free.

By charging for the sticker and certificate, I wonder if those buying a used Colnago would require such a thing before purchase?
I've lost count on the number of times I've seen people say that a brand that is still in existence can't verify their old steel frame.
Raleigh, Diamondback, Centurion, Miyata, Bridgestone, Peugeot, Specialized, etc etc.

But yes, your comment that many brands will confirm for free is correct. If you send a serial number, there are brands that can look it up and confirm the serial number is real.
This Colnago process then goes further and registers the bike in a database tied to block chain tech. Colnago sees that cost as a potential value to users and is charging a very nominal amount for the service.
If Colnago was doing nothing new from before and started charging?...yeah that'd be some nickel and diming for sure.
Old 10-06-2024, 10:43 AM
Meh

They identified the master I had as well as the paint code for free, over email, circa 2019.

No sticker though. Although that frame said colnago all over it so many times I’m not sure a sticker was warranted.