Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2024, 11:35 AM

Johnny Hocky. Damn! That's tragic what this family has to endure now. Just tragic. Lock that azzhole up for life.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:44 AM

Just simply unimaginable grief for the family and friends. Horrific. And this POS will likely not get anywhere near the punishment he deserves.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:31 PM

Beyond awful. Johnny and his brother played hockey here in Boston and were a joy to watch. I can't imagine what the family is going through.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:37 PM

Two counts of "death by auto".

We know how this story goes.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
Two counts of "death by auto".

We know how this story goes.
Yes, he'll be slapped on BOTH wrists! Just an "accident"

Sickening
Old 08-30-2024, 01:36 PM
Administrator

This guy literally admitted to the cops he was drunk and road raging, and he failed a field sobriety test.

I think there is a good chance he will get a pretty harsh sentence.

Maybe it's partly because this happened in my state of NJ, not too far from where I was riding last weekend, but this one is really bothering me. The two brothers killed, the family wedding, young men seemingly loved by all and hockey personalities - all killed in one instant. it's heart breaking.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:43 PM

So sad. I’ve ridden down there before, next town down from me. Don’t recall anything like this happening….I head down that way to get away from the traffic. With the holiday weekend might have been few more drivers on road as well. Stay safe, if you see someone drinking and driving take their keys.
Old 08-30-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This guy literally admitted to the cops he was drunk and road raging, and he failed a field sobriety test.

Maybe it's partly because this happened in my state of NJ, not too far from where I was riding last weekend, but this one is really bothering me. The two brothers killed, the family wedding, young men seemingly loved by all and hockey personalities - all killed in one instant. it's heart breaking.
Yeah I can't get over it either. Jonny was just this incredible, dynamic player that exploded onto the scene and was incredible to watch and seemed like a genuinely good human. It's so so sad. His poor family. Those two kids. Just awful.

These are the types of shock events that only reinforce my near total migration to mountain biking.
Old 08-30-2024, 03:56 PM
Meh

Quote:

Intoxication is the only reliable way motorists are even charged in incidents like these. Cyclist deaths caused by sober motorists are rarely charged because DAs shy away from cases where state of mind and decision making are hard to prove - the failed sobriety test is the smoking gun the DA is looking for.
Old 08-30-2024, 03:56 PM

So sad

As a Boston College grad and cyclist this hits really hard. Used to love watching him play for us and Johnny Hockey was one of the best ever… they carried on a long line of brothers playing hockey at BC and this is just heartbreaking…. On the eve of his sisters wedding and both he and his brother were groomsmen…is just unimaginable heartache for their family
Old 08-30-2024, 06:09 PM

So sad
Old 08-30-2024, 06:15 PM

I am a Norwich alum and got the email today. Their dad was class of 1980 and the alumni association assisting where they can. I hope the drunk driver never gets his license back and does a hefty prison sentence, neither of which is likely.

People fail to consider consequences. This guy was drunk but plenty of sober drivers have killed cyclists.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:41 PM

NHL Star Johnny Gaudreau and Brother Killed While Cycling by Alleged Drunk Driver

Quote:
Troopers responded to a motor vehicle crash at 8:19 PM on County Route 551 North, milepost 11.1 Oldmans Township, Salem County. Based on a preliminary investigation, two pedalcyclists, John M. Gaudreau, a 31-year-old male from Carneys Point, N.J., and Matthew R. Gaudreau, a 29-year-old male from Pedricktown, N.J., were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the fog line of the roadway. Sean M. Higgins, a 43-year-old male from Woodstown, N.J., was traveling north on CR 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV."

"Higgins attempted to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes of travel, passed the slower-moving sedan, and attempted to re-enter the northbound lanes of travel when the SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the two pedalcyclist traveling north on the right side of the roadway. Higgins then attempted to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two pedalcyclists in the rear. As a result of the collision, the two pedalcyclists sustained fatal injuries. . . . . Through further investigation, Higgins was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol, charged with two counts of death by auto, and lodged in the Salem County Correctional Facility.
https://www.tmz.com/2024/08/30/johnn...bike-accident/

Higgins sounds like a real prize. Senseless.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
saw that opening as an opportunity to pass on the inside.
I mean in what world...Just insanity. He really does have to pay a price.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:08 PM

No one will learn a lesson from this. Nothing will change.

I am so beyond distraught by this story. Such a terrible, terrible waste.

What are we going to do about this? What are we, as cyclists, going to do?