Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2024, 09:02 PM

hard to mount tire/rim combinations are the worst
Old 05-31-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
I had a hell of a time mounting my extralight casing RH tires tubeless, only to find that they would not hold sealant in any reasonable way-constant sidewall weeping, and I would have to top up the tires with a pump mid ride.

I had more than enough of that nonsense for several lives, so I put some latex tubes in my tires. They are fantastic this way. I think RH is doing themselves a disservice by labeling some of their tires tubeless compatible. My tires were not TC, at least by my standards.
My sense was similar to yours, that these tires simply should not be sold as tubeless, and simply are not merchantable for that purpose.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
How much air pressure? I have to go to 80* more often than I want. I don't really go over that, unless I close my eyes.

*not Rene Herse
I stayed around 60psi. Compressors and carbon rims generally are a bad idea and I’m reluctant to force the issue and destroy a wheel.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:16 PM

I have used panaracer and RH tires on road, commuter, and gravel bikes for years, always with standard tubes. They rarely flat, ride quite nicely, and never had issues.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:27 PM
Meh

RH tires are expensive clinchers that should only be used with tubes. They look really nice in photos though, provided they haven’t encountered any mud.

Do yourself a favor and get some tires from one of the brands that labels their tires “tubeless ready.” There are so many good ones now from Schwalbe, Continental, Vittoria, Specialized, Maxxis, etc… You won’t regret it and you will save yourself some money, too.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
RH tires are expensive clinchers that should only be used with tubes. They look really nice in photos though, provided they haven’t encountered any mud.

Do yourself a favor and get some tires from one of the brands that labels their tires “tubeless ready.” There are so many good ones now from Schwalbe, Continental, Vittoria, Specialized, Maxxis, etc… You won’t regret it and you will save yourself some money, too.
This is incredibly polite and absolutely true.

To be a bit more blunt: Rene Herse tires are not tubeless compatible, shouldn't be marketed as such, and have a high propensity for blowing off rims.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:30 AM

I thought this was well known already.

Their "new improved" "might actually be tubeless this time" was supposed to solve this, I'm not well versed enough on how to distinguish the new models from the old though.

Bicycle tires are in somewhat of a golden age though, with all the other choices out there, I'm not sure I'd run these even if they were free.
Old 06-01-2024, 02:05 AM

had the same issue a couple years ago. Won't be trying them again
Old 06-01-2024, 02:29 AM
Boeuf Chane

I don't get it - if the tires aren't really intended to be used as tubeless, why are so many hating on them if they are hard to mount in that application?
Old 06-01-2024, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I don't get it - if the tires aren't really intended to be used as tubeless, why are so many hating on them if they are hard to mount in that application?
They are advertised as tubeless, along with most their tires.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...ridge-tc-tire/
Old 06-01-2024, 03:11 AM
Boeuf Chane

In that case, I wonder how they mount them.

Edit - They make it sound so easy:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-...ubeless-tires/

(actually, they do admit that some wheel-tire combinations are difficult to mount properly)

Last edited by Louis; 06-01-2024 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2024, 04:46 AM

I think this may be a case of wheel/tire combo as well as the Fillmore valves. We had a hell of a time at the shop with another MHCC members Hunt wheels and Rene Herse tubeless set up with those valves, but were able to get them seated. I run my Endurance Casings with tubes, but I was going to try and get them set up tubeless this week.

I thought mine were caused by a tape issue originally, but after reading everybody's woes it may not be the case. I have a very little use set of 44 Raddlers here if you want to trade Doug! Give me a shout!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2024, 05:43 AM

I have never used RH tires, but it is commonly known that Panaracer's own Gravel Kings are particularly hard to set up tubeless. So I am not surprised that RH suffer the same issue. I gave up on Panaracer years ago because of this.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:34 AM

I almost bought some Fillmore valves but then decided not to. I wouldn’t be able to get as much air in as I can with my compressor without a valve core.

And you give up being able to replace the core without replacing the entire valve stem, which requires opening the tire. I just did that and new cores were super cheap and took near zero time.

If it was me I’d be torn here between trying it without the Fillmore valves and using the compressor and ditching the tires.

Also nothing wrong with just using the tubes. People treat this as all or nothing and it doesn’t have to be.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I almost bought some Fillmore valves but then decided not to. I wouldn’t be able to get as much air in as I can with my compressor without a valve core.

And you give up being able to replace the core without replacing the entire valve stem, which requires opening the tire. I just did that and new cores were super cheap and took near zero time.

If it was me I’d be torn here between trying it without the Fillmore valves and using the compressor and ditching the tires.

Also nothing wrong with just using the tubes. People treat this as all or nothing and it doesn’t have to be.
TREK and others are now making these which gives a bit of a hybrid experience. You have a high flow valve but can just pull it if you want full/more flow using a compressor to seat tires.

https://www.trekbikes.com/b2b/us/en_...olorCode=black

Tags
no free lunch, snake oil