Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
This is the time of year to stay away from Salem.
Yup.....having lived through many falls there, it's a complete and total zoo. We were visiting colleges with my daughter last fall and tried to drive by our old house in Salem....bad idea. Couldn't get within a mile of downtown and traffic was a complete mess. Head up the coast to Rockport/Ipswich instead.
Old 09-27-2024, 12:00 PM

I drove through Salem on Tuesday. It wasn't too bad yet but the closer you get to Halloween the worse it gets. Like others have said finding an rental in the mountains might be impossible right now but it's an easy day trip from somewhere on the north shore of Boston like Newburyport or Ipswich. You might find a place on the seacoast of NH, maybe?
Old 09-27-2024, 12:08 PM
VAV

I still have these if OP or anyone is interested

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ghlight=raffle
Old 09-27-2024, 12:12 PM

We flew into Boston, spent 2 weeks driving around to Acadia, Moose Lake, Wolfboro (maybe our favorite) and dropped our rental car at the airport in Manchester adn flew home from there. We were please to avoid Boston traffic again on this trip. You will also want to be aware of college events because Homecoming, Parents' Weekend, football games all have big effects on price and availability of accommodations.
Old 09-27-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
I still have these if OP or anyone is interested

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ghlight=raffle
Thanks for the offer! I'll check with my wife and see if she's game.

I appreciate all the input here so far, PLers coming through! You have given us lots to think about, we'll so some research and booking the next day or two and I will circle back with any more questions. Thanks all!
Old 09-27-2024, 01:45 PM

In the hiking dept, the NH White Mountains are the best New England has to offer, as there is a lot more above treeline than in VT or ME. The Presidential Range is my favorite and the Franconia Ridge is another fine area. We've stayed in both Gorham and Littleton, Gorham is more convenient to the Presidentials but Littleton has more to offer as a town.
Super Secret Ice Cream in Bethlehem is great for a post-hike treat and the Littleton Freehouse Taproom is a good dinner place.

If you decide to do some hiking PM me and we could discuss in more detail. I've hiked all the 4000 footers summer and winter, as well as some of the lower gems that are less crowded and still have fine views, and are good choices in weather when you may not want to be on the ridges (like Pine Mountain for example.)
Old 09-27-2024, 01:49 PM

NH is more down home with bigger mountains with less ski areas.
VT is more NYC with yoga, bagels and cappucino.

I grew up going to VT and my parents lived there for decades but now my heart is in NH.

I have an airbnb in Franconia that I use myself all winter and much of the summer. PM if you want details. Paceline deal if it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
My wife and I are taking 5 days to get out of town in a couple weeks. We're flying in to Boston and looking for 2 places to get an AirBnB for a few days each. I have never been to VT, so that's high on my list, specific locals/areas to target would be appreciated. What else would be on your bucket list? We won't be bringing bikes, but love to hike, explore small town, find unique tours/experiences etc.

It's a broad ask I know, but anything you got will help narrow it down. Thanks all!
Old 09-27-2024, 02:27 PM

I'm in the stay-in-one-place camp for trips because I want to maximize fun and minimize driving. I prefer towns with things to do, so I'd be inclined toward Portland or Burlington, but if you want the leaf experience, those are the not the places you want.
Old 09-27-2024, 02:54 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I'm in the stay-in-one-place camp for trips because I want to maximize fun and minimize driving. I prefer towns with things to do, so I'd be inclined toward Portland or Burlington, but if you want the leaf experience, those are the not the places you want.
I don't know. Burlington would be great for foliage. Drive up to Stowe, ride the ferry over to the NY side. You're pretty much surrounded by it. But, bit of a drive from Boston.
Old 09-27-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
NH is more down home with bigger mountains with less ski areas.
VT is more NYC with yoga, bagels and cappucino.

I grew up going to VT and my parents lived there for decades but now my heart is in NH.

I have an airbnb in Franconia that I use myself all winter and much of the summer. PM if you want details. Paceline deal if it's available.
I’ve long wanted to do these routes (below). Any feedback? The Kanc has always been a bucket lister. The route around Winnipesaukee looks gorgeous.
Also, would you feel comfortable giving a link to your Airbnb? If not, feel free to PM it. Thanks.

Edit: On topic for all you New Hampshirites. Best place to stay on the shores of Winnipesaukee? No consensus here: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=15673 Kind of like rim vs disc on the Forum. Meredith looks great, but it’s my ex-girlfriend’s name, so that might rule it out for a family stay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1390.jpg (85.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1391.jpg (94.0 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by XXtwindad; 09-27-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I’ve long wanted to do these routes (below). Any feedback? The Kanc has always been a bucket lister. The route around Winnipesaukee looks gorgeous.
Also, would you feel comfortable giving a link to your Airbnb? If not, feel free to PM it. Thanks.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1948265...ryPoint=1&s=76
Old 09-27-2024, 03:29 PM

I have done that exact ride. Kanc, bear notch, Crawford notch, Franconia notch.
The bike path down Franconia notch is not great. It's very windy and stays shaded so is mossy.
I suggest going 116 to 114 through Easton.
It's longer and more vert but very pretty and it's the proper route.

I can't comment on lake winni

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Old 09-27-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Wow! Beautiful! Great for a bunch of friends who are doing a cycling trip.
Old 09-27-2024, 04:35 PM

As other have pointed out October in New England, especially inland, is prime foliage season so finding accommodations can be difficult especially in rural Vermont and New Hampshire. You might have better luck finding rooms in or near one of the small cities along the coast or inland and they are ideal starting points for day trips. Check out Portsmouth NH or Portland ME for coastal lodging and the Concord/Manchester NH or White River Junction VT area for an inland base.
Old 09-27-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
What a lovely home!