Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Not true:

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/eb-red-d1

Though might be true for this exciting stuff in the cooler box, I am just a plebe so no inside knowledge.
That is the outgoing generation of Red. The new generation, released today, signified by E1 does not have a rim brake version.

That said, E1 parts are backwards compatible. So you could use new E1 derailleurs and cranks with prior gen Red rim brake shifters.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog84 View Post
Is it just me, or does that look like a 15-20mm increase in grip reach/length over the previous gen? Looks crazy long, even in comparison to Shimano levers. Anyone have the resources to measure the actual difference?
I was thinking the same. This is from the Escape Collective article on the groupset. Totally worth reading in full if you're interested in the group:

"I’ve spent far too long pondering whether the new shifter body increases the bike’s effective reach (similar to using a longer stem or bar reach). It sure looks like it does. It also feels like it does with my medium-sized hands now fully supported by the hood cover. A ruler suggests the start of the lever hump is a further 5 mm away, but then this new shape is intended to be placed at a more upward angle and encourages your hands to sit further back. Hours of thought later and I still can’t determine exactly how much longer it is, but I can confirm that it marginally adds to the bike’s reach. I suspect many users will be oblivious to this; it may even be a positive for some and arguably a negative for those who already feel a little stretched."

Sounds like not the 15-20mm increase that it looks like, but does look like it would be noticeable and potentially change fit.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Going to a lot of new in the box karoo head units on marketplace in no time with almost zero value.
Doubt it. They’ve been out of stock and not being made for quite some time according to dc rainmaker. I love to upgrade but won’t be on this one. It offers very little IMO.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-15-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I put hands on the group yesterday evening and it's amazing. It's not just a minor update - the whole thing looks and feels new.. Design choices are excellent. It's beautiful. And even the new Zipp handlebars they released with it are great.

I like it. Can't afford it, but it looks great. IMO a very important ergonomic update seems to be additional clearance for your fingers as they wrap around the hoods. Previous gen's were tricky because you had to be mindful of where your fingers were, else you'd smash them with the brake lever/shifter and not be able to stop effectively.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
I was thinking the same. This is from the Escape Collective article on the groupset. Totally worth reading in full if you're interested in the group:

"I’ve spent far too long pondering whether the new shifter body increases the bike’s effective reach (similar to using a longer stem or bar reach). It sure looks like it does. It also feels like it does with my medium-sized hands now fully supported by the hood cover. A ruler suggests the start of the lever hump is a further 5 mm away, but then this new shape is intended to be placed at a more upward angle and encourages your hands to sit further back. Hours of thought later and I still can’t determine exactly how much longer it is, but I can confirm that it marginally adds to the bike’s reach. I suspect many users will be oblivious to this; it may even be a positive for some and arguably a negative for those who already feel a little stretched."

Sounds like not the 15-20mm increase that it looks like, but does look like it would be noticeable and potentially change fit.
That’s how it felt in my hand, admittedly not while riding.. The shape reminds me of Campy WRL and that’s not a bad thing.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I like it. Can't afford it, but it looks great. IMO a very important ergonomic update seems to be additional clearance for your fingers as they wrap around the hoods. Previous gen's were tricky because you had to be mindful of where your fingers were, else you'd smash them with the brake lever/shifter and not be able to stop effectively.
That is what I like most about them as well plus the tiny button up top. I ended up with hope rx4 calipers to solve my fingers being smashed issue.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:17 AM
Two wheels good

I find it interesting that they do the calipers in a silver finish. I'm so tired of the black bike with black logos with black components thing. But If I'm going to have any component in black it would be brake calipers as silver calipers just seem to stick out. I guess that is their plan but they should at least make them black and silver to match the rest of the parts.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:31 AM

Purely subjective and cosmetic but I really like the silver accents throughout the group.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:52 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I like the 1 RD offering and also the 10-30 cassette.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post

BikeRadar said 7mm increase in length in their review.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:40 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
That is what I like most about them as well plus the tiny button up top. I ended up with hope rx4 calipers to solve my fingers being smashed issue.
I kinda hate SRAM hydro brakes, especially their attachment to long lever throws (and a bite point adjust that doesn't address the issue). Their mtb brakes also have this problem - the action is simply more linear once it gets into the bite point so the throw ends up being very long.

I would be surprised if they change this on the next generation. It's part of the brand identity and some people really like it.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Clean39T;3382982]I put hands on the group yesterday evening and it's amazing. It's not just a minor update - the whole thing looks and feels new.. Design choices are excellent. It's beautiful. And even the new Zipp handlebars they released with it are great.

Not even officially released yet, and Dan has already laid hands on it. This is the content I come here for.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Bici-Sonora;3383221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I put hands on the group yesterday evening and it's amazing. It's not just a minor update - the whole thing looks and feels new.. Design choices are excellent. It's beautiful. And even the new Zipp handlebars they released with it are great.

Not even officially released yet, and Dan has already laid hands on it. This is the content I come here for.
I think some bike shops have been cheating on SRAM and showing it to their valued customers...
Old 05-15-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post

I think some bike shops have been cheating on SRAM and showing it to their valued customers...
I’d say…saw it and Karoo a month ago.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:38 AM

I’m glad I picked up a set of spare AXS rim brake levers…

That said, this redesign to the hydro levers was way overdue, and these look more ergonomic.
The Red 10-36 cassette is a nice add too.

Instagram