Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I poke my head in there every now and then, it's still mostly a select group congratulating each other on how cool they are, what bespoke thing they recently got, etc.. there are some good threads every now and then, but mostly just a group that furthers the idea that cycling is some elite fraternity that most aren't up to (cool guy club).. while I think Paceline has lost some of what attracted me to it when it was the Serotta Forum, there's still a great group of folks here that freely, and without pretense, give great info to all levels of riders.

I like this side of the trail..
I think that might be your own insecurities. It's certainly slower paced and more deliberate in discussions. I like both but prefer the amount of content here.
Old 07-22-2024, 02:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Hope it dies.
This ^^^ is unnecessary.

If you don't like the place don't go. Simple as that.
Old 07-22-2024, 02:49 PM

I was concerned about the future of the Serotta Forum when VSalon launched and I'm really happy that this place is still thriving.
Old 07-22-2024, 02:51 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Yawn. Both places have their place. Both are good places.

FWIW, Nixfrixshun is excellent lube. At least ATMO. (I pay retail to use it, btw. And based on my dealings with him, Toots is solid.)

^^^This. Anyone who believes The Paceline isn't exactly the same type of echo chamber/good ol' boy's club as VSalon hasn't been paying attention.

It goes in cycles (no pun intended). For a while VSalon was the place where a serious, well-reasoned, thoughtful discussion could take place, and The Paceline was barely two sophomoric Reddit cross-posts shy of being BikeForums.net. Then the pendulum swung, and for the last ~6-12 months it feels like The Paceline has upped the ante and the maturity level, whereas VSalon has gotten ...not more puerile, but simply less active, a little sleepier.

I fully expect the pendulum to swing back the other way eventually.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:06 PM

IIRC, a year or two ago they suspended taking on new members, don't know if that's changed but that's an inevitable sentence of slow death.
I used to visit there quite a bit, haven't been over in a while.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:11 PM
Randomhead

I didn't know they stopped taking new members. That's one way of combatting spam.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
This ^^^ is unnecessary.

If you don't like the place don't go. Simple as that.

I don't and pretty sure I couldn't if I wanted to.

Apologies. I hope aero cabling dies too. I could fill a spiral notebook.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:20 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
I hope aero cabling dies too.
On my end I hope "brifters" (both the term and the thing) die, but I'm not holding my breath...
Old 07-22-2024, 04:23 PM

I feel a merge would be great and benefitting all of us. Probably never going to happen since polarisation is the name of the game these days.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
FWIW, Nixfrixshun is excellent lube. At least ATMO. (I pay retail to use it, btw. And based on my dealings with him, Toots is solid.)
Agreed, NFS is all I use...........I still have 1/3 of a bottle that TT gave me 8+ years ago. Just so easy to clean and reapply. It last many miles too.

I was not been able to login in to VS 2-3 years ago.....right around the time they changed things up. I never contacted TT to see what was up......just too busy to "converse" in all these different places.

Louis....brifters....
Old 07-22-2024, 04:39 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I think that might be your own insecurities. It's certainly slower paced and more deliberate in discussions. I like both but prefer the amount of content here.
I mean, it could be.. but I was pretty happy when the main group stopped posting here, for the most part..

as far as the lube.. never used it, but it looks to test fairly well, just not quite as good as the Silca Synergistic.. at least as far as contamination goes per Zero Friction Cycling..

Last edited by fourflys; 07-22-2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:44 PM

I was just able to get on after a couple days of being unable to. I check there maybe once a week to see if it has magically filled with useful content. Nope. Not yet.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:53 PM
Back At It!

site seems to be up..

and, to my point above about it feeling like an elite club trying to be elite, here's a cheeky response on a thread about latex vs TPU tubes.. you can be the judge on if the response is useful or "cool kids".. BTW- at 50 yrs old and after 30 yrs in the military, my insecurities get less and less every day (or maybe it's my "give a sh*t" to certain things, not sure).. but I certainly still have them

The quote-

"I would rather menstruate than suffer latex tubes.

+1000 friends don't let friends ride latex"
Old 07-22-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
(...) there's still a great group of folks here that freely, and without pretense, give great info to all levels of riders. (...)
+1000

God bless The Paceline -- this place is special.

When I look at other forums, comments, etc. on the web, I am constantly amazed (and disappointed) at the levels of nastiness, vitriol, and sarcasm that seem to be the status quo. (Velocipede is pretty friendly by comparison, btw. I'm not lumping Velocipede in with the overall web. Far from it.)

I am so grateful to have enjoyed over *two decades* of entertainment and edification on this forum. Hats off and thanks to the admins, and every member!

Last edited by dgauthier; 07-22-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 05:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Louis....brifters....
Ages ago on the Concept 2 rowing forum they had a problem with spammers trying to sell some kitchen-related stuff (at least that's how it's been explained to me) and in self-defense they changed the default settings so that in any post where the word "kitchen" is used it's automatically replaced by <Spam - Spam - Spam> (or something like that). So now, long after those spammers have moved on to the next great target, if I ever use one of my favorite mantras "The weight loss battle is usually won in the kitchen, not the gym" it gets garbled by the spam filter.

With that long-winded introduction, I wonder if I can convince the mods here to change the settings so every single use of "brifters" is automatically replaced with "DT Shifters Rule!!!" ?
Closed Thread

Tags
atmo, capitalism, cool kids table