Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2022, 12:17 PM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 11-30-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:09 AM

Anyone have experience with this model? It was recommended by Scotty Kilmer on YouTube. I know he get's a commission, but I think he's straight shooter.

https://www.vantrue.com/collections/...vantrue-n2-pro
Old 08-04-2023, 06:23 PM

I recently picked up a Garmin Mini 2. Not impressed and likely to return. I've gotten it to work in the house, but the phone app needs to be running and it take a bit of time to connect to Bluetooth and start recording. In the car? It starts up, connects via Bluetooth...then...disconnects.

I want something that starts recording once it gets accessory power. Seems like a simple requirement.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

If nothing else, you can record, start a YT channel and make some $....
Old 08-05-2023, 02:19 PM

The vast majority of all dash cameras use exactly the same video sensor and they all have pretty terrible resolution. Barely better than basic 320 lines. They CLAIM high definition, but don't come through. You won't be able to read a license plate in most situations.
If I can find a camera with a little better resolution, I'll buy it.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Update to this, probably many has seen news of car backing into another on highway. Wife wants one. We don't drive a lot. Ease of use paramount otherwise won't be used. Of course price is also good factor.

We will probably just go with front.

Thx
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Are dash cams stolen often? I remember too well how thieves made off with generic auto stereo components when they were often after-market items usable in many different cars.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

I've had the Rove R2-4K Pro for about 2 years now. I highly recommend it to my friends. Here on the Canadian side of Amazon, it goes on sale often for $128.
https://www.amazon.ca/ROVE-R2-4K-PRO...dp/B0BZRKRBHP/

Don't get the non Pro version as that uses a battery and not a capacitor.

The app works ok but I got a Lightning to micro USB card reader to download any videos directly to my phone. It's just faster that way.
Why would I even need this - well my friend got pulled over, accused of some traffic offence and he had to show the cop some footage that he had the wrong guy.

I also keep a USB power bank handy if I want to keep the camera rolling while the car is parked in a questionable area.

Happy to discuss more if you'd like to msg me directly. I've gone thru a number of cams.
Old Today, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I've had the Rove R2-4K Pro for about 2 years now. I highly recommend it to my friends. Here on the Canadian side of Amazon, it goes on sale often for $128.
https://www.amazon.ca/ROVE-R2-4K-PRO...dp/B0BZRKRBHP/

Don't get the non Pro version as that uses a battery and not a capacitor.

The app works ok but I got a Lightning to micro USB card reader to download any videos directly to my phone. It's just faster that way.
Why would I even need this - well my friend got pulled over, accused of some traffic offence and he had to show the cop some footage that he had the wrong guy.

I also keep a USB power bank handy if I want to keep the camera rolling while the car is parked in a questionable area.

Happy to discuss more if you'd like to msg me directly. I've gone thru a number of cams.
just curious, how does it work while just driving around? Is it always recording? Im guessing theres some crash-detection built in but how does it record the moments before a crash is detected? Thanks!
Old Today, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Came in to recommend the Viofo too. I've got the A129 on one car and A119 on another. One of them has the rear camera as well (highly recommended if you can spring for it). Each camera bakes inside the car all day but have had absolutely no issues with either.
+1 had the VIOFO A119 V3 for three years. Never had to use it for anything other than capturing the general insanity of drivers in the NY metro. I took the time to hardwire it via fuse tap and ran everything through the headliner.

OP: You have to get a micro SD card that can handle constant writing like the Sandisk High Endurance series.
Old Today, 11:50 AM

It comes with a USB adapter for the cigarette lighter plug. As long as i gets power from there then the cam is on and recording.
You can usually set to 1, 3 or 5 min long videos and if the cam senses a crash then it locks that current file so it doesn't get written over with the continuous record loop mode. If the sensitivity is set too high then a pot hole or speed bump can also set it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
just curious, how does it work while just driving around? Is it always recording? Im guessing theres some crash-detection built in but how does it record the moments before a crash is detected? Thanks!
Old Today, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
It comes with a USB adapter for the cigarette lighter plug. As long as i gets power from there then the cam is on and recording.
You can usually set to 1, 3 or 5 min long videos and if the cam senses a crash then it locks that current file so it doesn't get written over with the continuous record loop mode. If the sensitivity is set too high then a pot hole or speed bump can also set it off.
Wow thats pretty cool.. i chatted support on Crutchfield and they recommended this guy:Garmin

I know nothing of these dashcams. Is there anything that would be considered undesirable about that Garmin?
Old Today, 02:49 PM

I'm not familiar with that model or any of the Garmin dash cams but have seen that previous models did get good reviews.
Some of my criteria when shopping for one are:
capacitor and not battery
I want one with an LCD display
Would be nice to have both adhesive mount and a good suction cup mount in case I need to use on a rental car
One that is compatible with many brands of SD cards
At least 1080P resolution and preferably 4K.

The Rove checked all boxes for me and price was really good.
I used to recommend the MyGekoGear cam but after a few issues and insider info, I don't anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Wow thats pretty cool.. i chatted support on Crutchfield and they recommended this guy:Garmin

I know nothing of these dashcams. Is there anything that would be considered undesirable about that Garmin?