Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
What is Apple thinking?? You can make real money that way. Unless you count a trillion bucks as real money.
Well, considering they have $250 BILLION sitting in the bank, they are probably thinking that people will keep contributing to that cash pile as long as there is something shiny with an apple on it to spend money on.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Does anyone remember what the bag phone sold for? I "think" I remember a $1000, not sure but car phones were pretty expensive with installation, etc!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
I like to think of prices in terms of cycling equipment, so to me that's a frame, nice wheelset, groupset, or possibly a complete bike depending on what I'm looking at.
Exactly! And those purchases (unless you crash) will last longer than the useful life of the iPhone.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:42 PM

No one needs a 512gb iPhone, I don’t care what you say lol
Old 09-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Almost 17,000,000 views.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
Old 09-12-2018, 05:56 PM

i've been using my iphone 6 for 4 years and it's still going strong, so no need for a replacement here.

but for the same reasons why nobody should blame any of us having bikes worth thousands of dollars, we shouldn't blame anyone for wanting a $1400 phone. don't think it's worth it? don't buy it. save the judgment.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Almost 17,000,000 views.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
my goodness, that was awesome.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotrack View Post
i've been using my iphone 6 for 4 years and it's still going strong, so no need for a replacement here.

but for the same reasons why nobody should blame any of us having bikes worth thousands of dollars, we shouldn't blame anyone for wanting a $1400 phone. don't think it's worth it? don't buy it. save the judgment.
Smart phones have transformed life in my line of work. I cringe at the price but pay it all the time.

FaceTime audio and video? In-car, accurate navigation? Make schedule modifications? Connect to my car? Etc.....

Not for everyone and definitely not for all places and times (turn it off in restaurants, places of sanctity and ceremony, and in the homes of other people, for example) but I can’t imagine life without one now.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Administrator

of course, the good, practical news is that they will certainly continue to produce the last model version and heavily discount it. if you need a new phone, and dont absolutely need the latest and greatest, this is going to be a great time to pick up an 8 for a reasonable price.

to me, the single greatest innovation that i was excited about with the iPhone was water-proof-ed-ness. these days i just throw my 7 in my jersey pocket and go. have done so through multiple heavy thunderstorm riding and countless hours of hot sweaty days without worrying about killing the phone or stuffing it in a waterproof bag.

i would agree that they have made things with work much, much easier, especially on the road.

anyone else do expense reports these days with receipt photo upload? FAN-tastic, not trying to save a bunch of receipts anymore.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:40 PM

The other good news is that iOS 12 has optimization for older models, supposedly w/ some speedups. The people hanging onto the iPhone 5s (cough cough parents) can hang onto them for a few years more...
Old 09-12-2018, 06:41 PM

The iPhone 7 is still on par w/ the latest/greatest Samsung, roughly speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
of course, the good, practical news is that they will certainly continue to produce the last model version and heavily discount it. if you need a new phone, and dont absolutely need the latest and greatest, this is going to be a great time to pick up an 8 for a reasonable price.

to me, the single greatest innovation that i was excited about with the iPhone was water-proof-ed-ness. these days i just throw my 7 in my jersey pocket and go. have done so through multiple heavy thunderstorm riding and countless hours of hot sweaty days without worrying about killing the phone or stuffing it in a waterproof bag.

i would agree that they have made things with work much, much easier, especially on the road.

anyone else do expense reports these days with receipt photo upload? FAN-tastic, not trying to save a bunch of receipts anymore.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Let's say you buy the iPhone for $1,000 and use it for 2 years. That comes out to $1.37 a day and that is for the iPhone Ten S

Is it worth $1.37 a day to have a device that recognizes you by your face, takes better pictures than your high school photographer ever could, records 4k video, accesses the internet from the bathroom, holds all your music, and lets you call 911 when you crash your car or bike?

If $1.37 is NOT that worth that to you please pick your knuckles up off the ground when you walk and join the rest of us. Or don't buy it or a similar device and stop complaining about a device developed by someone smarter than you and marketed by someone with more data than you and knows what others want more than Santa Clause himself.

If it is worth that to you, keep feeding the economy and buy it.

Last edited by kppolich; 09-12-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Apart from the fact that I would never buy any Apple product if it was the last phone maker on earth, my phone cost me $49 on sale at a supermarket and does everything I need. That's closer to my price point.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Let's say you buy the iPhone for $1,000 and use it for 2 years. That comes out to $1.37 a day and that is for the iPhone Ten S

Is it worth $1.37 a day to have a device that recognizes you by your face, takes better pictures than your high school photographer ever could, records 4k video, accesses the internet from the bathroom, holds all your music, and lets you call 911 when you crash your car or bike?

If $1.37 is that worth that to you please pick your knuckles up off the ground when you walk and join the rest of us. Or don't buy it or a similar device and stop complaining about a device developed by someone smarter than you and marketed by someone with more data than you and knows what others what more than Santa Clause himself.

If it is worth that to you, keep feeding the economy and buy it.
No
Old 09-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Proud Grandpa

Geeez all this emotion about stuff and toys. Rapha, Apple, Various bike this or that. Stuff, if ya like it and can afford it, buy it, use it. If ya don’t, why then don’t buy it. ‘....last smart phone on earth’, such emotion about a.....phone...