Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I'm very happy to have cross compatibility between DA/Ultegra and GRX back. I like the "wired-less" solution which leads to smaller detailers and long battery life. How hard is it to run 2 wires?

For 1X, I would still choose the mechanical 12 speed option. I'm sure it works fine as it's not far from XTR 12 speed which has been flawless for me.
What kind of frame is it hung on? Where, what kind of conditions are you riding in? How much ware on your components?

25+ bikes here, 3 are Di2 equipped, rear derailleur only, the Di2 equipped bikes are cable acuated hydraulic disk brakes only.

I swore by mechanical, always been a mechanical guy, however as the number of gears has increased I am finding mechanical can no longer provide adequate granularity and the finite precision required for 11+ cog changes.

I no longer own anthing with more than an 11 speed cassette and never intend to purchase a conventional mechanical geared bike with more than an 11 speed cassette.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-23-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:13 PM

2x only... after all this time. lol. Shimano has lost the plot. Di2 shifts so much better than etap, but they have to be giving up significant market share on all things dirt just being so far behind.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
2x only... after all this time. lol. Shimano has lost the plot. Di2 shifts so much better than etap, but they have to be giving up significant market share on all things dirt just being so far behind.
I kinda think the same on 1x but if the 2x shifts flawlessly like I experienced on the current dura ace di2 what’s the harm in having a similar range with a lot more in between? I’m apparently in the minority and did not like the shifting on the dura ace I used but it was more an issue with the tiny buttons and being very use to axs. I find axs simpler with the large single button, and shifting in the rear to be equivalent with di2. I do think I’d get used to it if using it regularly.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:24 PM

I have an Epic HT with XTR 12 speed and a Diverge with GRX 11 speed 1x mechanical. They both have full housing and work great. Obviously, Mountain bikes and Gravel bikes in New England see a lot of dirt and mud.

I think Shimano didn't release 12 speed Di2 1x at this point because it's so closely related to the mountain bike product and a new Di2 for mountain bike must be on the horizon.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I have an Epic HT with XTR 12 speed and a Diverge with GRX 11 speed 1x mechanical. They both have full housing and work great. Obviously, Mountain bikes and Gravel bikes in New England see a lot of dirt and mud.

I think Shimano didn't release 12 speed Di2 1x at this point because it's so closely related to the mountain bike product and a new Di2 for mountain bike must be on the horizon.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was no GRX-labeled 1x derailleur, instead directing 1x seekers to use the upcoming XTR/XT derailleurs instead.

Every manufacturer everywhere is looking to reduce SKU's for well-publicised reasons, this would be one way to do it.

The question is whether there will be an "XPLR" style equivalent to split the difference between the MTB gearing and the road gearing.

What is lacking currently is a HG-standard 11-40 or 11-42 cassette. There is a glaring gap now between the HG 11-36 cassette and the Microspline 10-45 cassette.