Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 12:32 PM

immediately made me stop and take accordion lessons instead.[/QUOTE]

Accordian? You are defintely Italian
Old 02-09-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Pure social engineering. MI5 and CIA were steering things in a new direction. Anything so heavily promoted is always suspect. Just actors playing a role...
Would be interesting to know who was writing the music for them.
" your mission, should you choose to accept it,..."
Old 02-09-2024, 01:38 PM

I guess they just have never been that important to me. I like their music for the most part but in all my years the only album I have of thier's is the SGT Pepper one. That saying something considering how large my collection of music is.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:43 PM

I was 9 years old and doing something in my room. Dad called out to me and said "get a load of these kooks" on the Ed Sullivan show. I didn't think too much until they showed all the girls screaming their heads off and I didn't understand what the big deal was.
My older sister was in Jr High then and came home telling how a girlfriend was so upset that Paul was engaged. I didn't get that either, still don't

I took up trombone and played jazz and big band in HS. I always had a lot of respect for jazz musicians because it was hard to play it correctly as opposed to regular concert or marching band. I never have respected popular music as much but realize they are some great misicians too.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:50 PM

Favorite accordion joke.
A band was playing at a local small theatre and after the gig, decided to get something to eat. Since the accordion was so big, they wanted the accordion player to just leave it in the car, in the back seat. "No way!" said the player. "Someone will see it and steal it." But the band persisted and persuaded him that it was a safe neighborhood, so he put the instrument in the back seat. They had a great dinner and when they came back to the car--sure enough, the windows were smashed in and there in the back seat was two accordions.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:09 PM

Aww, man. I was hoping this was you on accordion:
https://youtu.be/UWmHGjR3gWc?si=AqJiMVmx2vRPEZ4P
Old 02-09-2024, 05:12 PM
50 bpm

Old 02-09-2024, 05:30 PM
Byron

I was 12 at that time.
I remember what a short period occurred before young parents adopted the same music.
It definitely had sway.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:43 PM

For me, the Beatles didn't change anything, I was 11 at the time they made their big splash in America complete with girls faking to faint, all done for publicity of course, hired to put on the show by the publicity manager, and it was a brilliant tactic however, it got all the other girls all hyped up. Back then mostly girls bought 45s, and mostly guys bought 33s, but for some reason girls were the targeted market, they seem to have more spendable income to buy 45s, maybe guys were trying to buy cars instead of records?

So why didn't the Beatles change anything for me? Because I literally could not stand their music, it was simple I-IV-V chord progression crap that a grade school music class would do, their music was made for female teeny bobbers. I was into the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Manfred Mann, The Kinks, The Animals, almost anything with the Motown sound, Roy Orbison, Johnny Rivers, The Moody Blues, I know I'm forgetting a few. A bit later I got into Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Deep Purple, those types of heavier music.

The Beatles were the most overrated band of all time, and I didn't like any of their music.

All of this is just my opinion of course.

Speaking of records, I still use my Rotel RP1000 turntable I bought in 1976, but none of my old records are around anymore, which is too bad because they're probably worth something today. I have been buying newer records over the years to replace those that wore out and added quite a few I didn't have before, but I don't have a huge collection like my neighbor has, my god, that guy has his entire basement crammed with records, almost all of them are collectibles that he never even plays! He goes to Chicago to trade shows takes some records with him and comes home with other records.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:43 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
it was simple I-IV-V chord progression crap that a grade school music class would do...[snip]...I was into the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Manfred Mann, The Kinks, The Animals
Ah, so you were into the other bands that were playing I-IV-V chord progression crap that a grade school music class would do, got it.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:51 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Ah, so you were into the other bands that were playing I-IV-V chord progression crap that a grade school music class would do, got it.

Seriously, is there anything more simple than Smoke on the Water?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:54 PM
quadropheniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Pure social engineering. MI5 and CIA were steering things in a new direction. Anything so heavily promoted is always suspect. Just actors playing a role...Would be interesting to know who was writing the music for them.
Perhaps you’re confusing the lads from Liverpool with the Monkees?
Old 02-09-2024, 07:17 PM

good enough to beat the Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Seriously, is there anything more simple than Smoke on the Water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoAGasPLh30

a bit long, but one of the better Kids in the Hall skits (IMHO)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:34 PM

The British Invasion to me was more the bands that copied American blues music, like the Stones, Clapton, etc..., and turned it into Rock and Roll. The Beatles used more genres including classical music. They are certainly a lot more then a I-IV-V band... Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
... accordion joke.
Isn't that redundant?

Tags
boomer threads :-)