Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2024, 07:02 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Just the single Sonos One for me. I'm usually on the trainer and have my AirPods in, but with the Sonos ecosystem everywhere in the house it was the logical choice. It's nice because I can airplay music or anything from the AppleTV to it as well and really fills up the space well.

Old 08-16-2024, 07:08 PM

Music

FM portable radio. 30 years old. Sometimes a little static. Smooth jazz. Garage. Gets moved to cellar in winter. Works there too.

Of course, I am content with rim brakes, 10 speed, 23 tires. Retro. So it all fits.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:24 PM

I use this old Bose (far right of the picture, on the top shelf in front of the black toolbox), plugging my phone into it … still works for me after all these years (maybe 20+ years)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3685.jpg (134.4 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by wgp; 08-16-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:33 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
A digital media server ...[snip]... The tedious part is getting the files onto the server, whether it be high quality tracks ripped from CDs, or low quality tracks from wherever.

^^^This is what has stopped me from fully entering the 21st Century in my music listening paradigm.

I own 300+ CDs, plus have another ~150 albums as digital music files spread across two separate computers. I keep telling myself that when I have some free time -- and I have no excuse now, since I just retired 6 weeks ago -- I'll compile them all on a digital music server, and that plus my old self-powered studio monitors will be our "hi-fi du jour"

...but who got time for that?!?!
Old 08-16-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'll compile them all on a digital music server
The ripping is the easy part...you just insert disc in drive and press rip. The cataloging and organizing is what takes time and thought...of course the last time I did this was fifteen years ago, so maybe things have changed a bit.

But...it's so much easier to tell Spotify to play Nora Jones or the Thoughts on Selling podcast or whatever. No work required.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-16-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
The cataloging and organizing is what takes time and thought...of course the last time I did this was fifteen years ago, so maybe things have changed a bit.

But...it's so much easier to tell Spotify to play Nora Jones or the Thoughts on Selling podcast or whatever. No work required.
I have no idea how many hours have been spent trying to keep organized a massive ripped collection as it grew, but many would be an easy answer. It currently lives on a synology network drive that uses plex to distribute anywhere with internet connectivity.

I don’t use it much anymore…as you said, easier to say hey you play this song.

Sonos would be what I’d put in a workspace on a reasonable budget.

Unreasonable would be Kef Blade speakers paired with a McIntosh integrated amp or, with a dash of reason, a kef wireless speaker system such as ls60 instead.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:19 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

A customer gave me a pair of speakers and a ?Kenwood? receiver and I've added a pair of bookshelf speakers that a buddy left when he moved.

Quadrophenia for free bay-bee!

Plugged into a semi-ancient Sony MP3 player.

No, I'm not an audiophile. Tinnitus put paid to that. I suspect the tinnitus came from riding and shooting rifles in basic training cause I haven't seen too many concerts

M
Old 08-16-2024, 10:03 PM

I was big into audio gear a couple of decades ago. Now, I spend way more time riding and working on bikes. My garage workshop system has a Perreaux 100W amp, an Adcom preamp, and a nice pair of Polk 2-ways. Music from my phone sourced from my CD collection, the MyTuner app, or occasionally from Amazon prime. But I probably listen to podcasts more often. If I’m not out riding, there’s nothing better then listening to tunes or a good podcast out in the garage while I’m wrenching on bikes.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:29 PM

Used to be down the rabbit hole on this. Sold all my HiFi - speakers, amps, cables, and whittled it down to a couple of stereo-paired Ikea Symfonisk mini-bookshelfs (Sonos collaboration) used with Spotify.

Music sounds good. Spotify is great.
Old 08-17-2024, 04:33 AM

Quote:
^^^This is what has stopped me from fully entering the 21st Century in my music listening paradigm.

I own 300+ CDs, plus have another ~150 albums as digital music files spread across two separate computers. I keep telling myself that when I have some free time -- and I have no excuse now, since I just retired 6 weeks ago -- I'll compile them all on a digital music server, and that plus my old self-powered studio monitors will be our "hi-fi du jour"

Ha ha, I know I'm over 600 because that's the capacity of the shelves i bought. Might be 700.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:55 AM
Strong Walker

Old 08-17-2024, 07:04 AM

No pics as my shop is embarrassingly cluttered and also a tack room but I use a NAD receiver and Mission 700 series monitors. Stream either from AmazonHD or I have a bunch of live and ripped stuff loaded to my sister's Synology server.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I did this years ago with about 400 Cd's. Let itunes due all the work. Now I can just take the itunes "library" and do what I want with it. The latest has been putting those files on tiny 128 USB drives. These are so small now you have about a 1/4 end poking out of a USB connection. I have one attached to my Oppo for my main stereo and then one in each of my cars. So my whole library of CD's is available to me everywhere. The only tricky part was my Avalon wouldn't read the USB until i reformated it as FAT32.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:27 AM

I’m a Sonos guy and have a Play 1 over the workbench.

I use Apple Music as well and have found their algorithms have improved over the past couple of years and if I pick out and play a song I like, then it will auto play similar. That’s a good way, Nick to explore different genres and find new music.
Old 08-17-2024, 09:52 AM
VAV

Old BW speakers paired to Fosi Audio BT20A pro. Streaming Spotify from IPAD via BT

[IMG]Workshop by VIAR VAPA, on Flickr[/IMG]