Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2024, 12:22 PM

If I’m completely honest with myself, despite spending a decent amount on newer, fancier, or cooler stuff, my favorite ride is still the rim Tarmac SL6. It’s the one I grab, say, for my weekly-ish ride with 4-6 experienced guys out to push ourselves a bit.

Not a controversial pick, I know, but imo it is peak rim. Given the billion or so of these produced, I can’t imaging they’d be too hard to find now.

Last edited by professerr; 08-27-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:37 PM
aluminati

I think giant TCR SL and pinarello dogma F were the last big brand top tier models with rim brakes? both being discontinued very recently

I'll second everyone else and vote for the s-works SL6 and supersix evo hi-mod as well

e: relevant thread from last year https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=302451

Last edited by aaronffs; 08-27-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I ride and love my Extreme Power, and this me very tempted to try to find a Race Shop Domane 2017.
I had one of those Domanes and loved it, but I could never get the brakes quite right (they were the Bontrager XXXs). Carbon and aluminum rims both just didn't have the stopping power I wanted. Still kind of regret selling it. Ah well.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:19 PM

My own last greatest rim brake frame was a Gen 6 Madone (2018-2022, all the same). BUT it used very proprietary direct mount brakes.

For standard caliper brakes, I always liked the 2013-2015 Madones. Very nice combination of early aero-tubes plus geo that fit me well and besides the BB90, it takes a "normal" rim brake groupset.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:26 PM

There was a rim brake model of the current gen of SS-evo-HM.

That was a short lived model but dang.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:28 PM

Based on what I've read and heard from friends, the Tarmac SL6 is reputed to be near the top of the heap for production rim brake frames. They command (IMO) ridiculous prices on the used market. On the other hand, CAAD13s can be found for relative bargain prices. I picked up one this summer at a low cost, stripped the components, and built it up with parts I picked. The end result is a remarkable combination of low cost, high performance, and versatility. It will fit a true, measured 30mm tire with no clearance issues. I raced mine for the first time this past weekend and was very pleased with the ride and handling.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAAD13.jpg (145.8 KB, 377 views)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:47 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
There was a rim brake model of the current gen of SS-evo-HM.

That was a short lived model but dang.
the current 4th gen ss evo (2023-) didn't have a rim brake model, but the 3rd gen (2019-2022?) did for a year or two, but only in non hi-mod form
Old 08-27-2024, 02:25 PM

Woah Greg. That's awesome. You've actually tempted me to mayyyybeee check and see if some of the 30's I have sitting on hand would somehow be compatible.

Are you using wide-ish rims with 28's that measure out to 30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
the current 4th gen ss evo (2023-) didn't have a rim brake model, but the 3rd gen (2019-2022?) did for a year or two, but only in non hi-mod form
Ah dang it, that's right.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Based on what I've read and heard from friends, the Tarmac SL6 is reputed to be near the top of the heap for production rim brake frames. They command (IMO) ridiculous prices on the used market. On the other hand, CAAD13s can be found for relative bargain prices. I picked up one this summer at a low cost, stripped the components, and built it up with parts I picked. The end result is a remarkable combination of low cost, high performance, and versatility. It will fit a true, measured 30mm tire with no clearance issues. I raced mine for the first time this past weekend and was very pleased with the ride and handling.

Greg
That looks to be my size and likely unsafe. Send to me for testing. I’ll get it back to you after significant testing.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I may be biased, but the C-64 is that bike IMHO. Light, fast and probably the best road bike I have thrown a leg over.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Those later 'nagos def on the list
Old 08-27-2024, 02:52 PM
Administrator

I think you can still get a current gen Dogma in rim brake configuration. The Dogma is an iconic bike and if the geo works for you; you can’t go wrong there.

Personally I’d like to find a nice condition F8 in my size.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Woah Greg. That's awesome. You've actually tempted me to mayyyybeee check and see if some of the 30's I have sitting on hand would somehow be compatible.

Are you using wide-ish rims with 28's that measure out to 30?
Yes, exactly correct. Two different make/models of labeled 28mm tires on 19mm (internal width) rims. Both measure 30mm and fit with no issues.

Greg
Old 08-27-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Yes, exactly correct. Two different make/models of labeled 28mm tires on 19mm (internal width) rims. Both measure 30mm and fit with no issues.

Greg
Ah that tracks. Definitely not planning to test fit advertised 30's then haha.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:21 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
If I’m completely honest with myself, despite spending a decent amount on newer, fancier, or cooler stuff, my favorite ride is still the rim Tarmac SL6. It’s the one I grab, say, for my weekly-ish ride with 4-6 experienced guys out to push ourselves a bit.

Not a controversial pick, I know, but imo it is peak rim. Given the billion or so of these produced, I can’t imaging they’d be too hard to find now.

I had a SL3 S-Works Tarmac. Superb machine IMO, indeed peak. I opted for a Roubaix and sold it here as a frame.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:25 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I ride and love my Extreme Power, and this me very tempted to try to find a Race Shop Domane 2017.

Fits a bigger tire than the EP too, if that checks a box. Although I do run 28s on my EP. But more like 27.5mm 28s.

I can get some 32s on the RSL/SLR.