Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 12:54 PM

16 gb ram, 512 gb HD (depending on what you are doing to do w/ it), and get at least Apple Silicon M1 or higher, do not get intel.

Agree w/ refurb w/ warranty, Apple, BH photo, Adorama, even Costco.

would also check battery status - that is the other big variable. Older batteries poop out faster.

storage, I guess if push came to shove you could always get an extra external SSD but that's if you're doing video production or have a pro photo business something like that...

Last edited by EastCoast_Cali; 08-23-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Spec-wise, you want the Apple chips (not Intel). Not really a massive difference between the M1, M2, or M3 chips.

The case design changed between M1 (<=2021) and M2 (2022+) MacBook Airs (from the old tapered edge to the chunkier looking squared edge).

I'd probably get an M2 with 8 or 16gb RAM and 256gb or 512gb hard drive.

The list above is good for ensuring you can log-in and use the device.

If you're buying from a known reseller, the checklist isn't as critical. But it's a must-do list for buying from random online sellers.
As stated above, I’m a Luddite. Why not Intel?

Last edited by XXtwindad; 08-23-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:44 PM

If you are not a power user, it may make the most sense to buy the newest, most computer for your budget. That way it will likely last you the longest.

Companies are not supporting older products more and more and there are workarounds to keep it going but sounds like what you wouldn't want to be doing to begin with. Intel (vs M1, M2....) is an older product line for Apple so is less supported. I'd second the recs of buying a refurb "newest" computer for your budget. If someone was selling you a computer for $100, I guess that price delta would be hard to beat but if you want some of the newer/newest functionality which can be nice, then you can see if there is something that fits your budget.

Buying from Apple is also nice in that you have 30 days (I think) to use it and then decide it's not right for you and return it.
Old 08-23-2024, 02:06 PM

Some of the M1 Macbook Airs use USB-C for charging. Then Apple went back to the magnetic charger, which is *so* much nicer.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-23-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
As stated above, I’m a Luddite. Why not Intel?
Apple started using their own chips in late 2020 so all the Intel macs remaining are old and will stop receiving updates sooner.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
Apple started using their own chips in late 2020 so all the Intel macs remaining are old and will stop receiving updates sooner.
Thx.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Hard drives are magnetic disks, Apple has not used HD for years, want a SSD!
Colloquially, no one makes that distinction when shopping for laptops. Even here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd.jpg (22.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 08-23-2024, 03:25 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I'd also check the latest OS that the Mac supports. Browsers, like Chrome, support only a limited number of past OS versions. BUT, if you get a screaming deal and you're OK taking a bit of a gamble then checkout Open Core Legacy Project.
Open Core Legacy Project is great.

However, it is entirely unsuitable for the OP.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:31 PM

Lots of good advice here. I think the Mac Air 13 is the best all around machine. If you're not carrying it around much and like a big screen, the 15 is also a nice machine. As others said, get the M1 at least. Basically get the latest processor you can fit within your budget.

tl;dr -> My ultimate advice is to stretch your budget a little and get a new Mac Air 13". An M3 13" is $900 (education discount) and you get a $150 card from Apple, so more like $750. You can get an M1 from walmart for $650 but... for $100 M3 is a nice upgrade.

Used is OK, but it had better be cheap to make it worthwhile over an already cheap brand new Air.

*** The long version:

You've got three options for saving money when buying a machine.

1. Buy new from Apple/Someone, but not the latest machine. Most configurable. Most expensive. 100% reliable. Brand new. ie, buy a (discounted) M1.

2. Buy used/refurbished from a retailer. Not the latest machine. Very configurable. Less expensive. 90% reliable (it's still used), but the retailer may offer a warranty, and it won't have corp software on it or anything.

3. Buy used from a third party. Not the latest machine. Least configurable (but you can search to find whatever you want). Least expensive. If I went this route I would ONLY buy a machine that was ready to be "set up as a new mac" (this is the new-out-of-the-box Apple option). Basically, you want the hardware and an OS, as fresh as possible. Make removing any corporate software someone else's problem.

The only thing about the Air is that storage needs to be ordered from Apple with a new system. 512 is a good amount, but the basic is 256. You'll need to find a machine that was spec'd that way which will limit your selection. Or, maybe you'll find that 256 is enough, and extendable with an external drive if you have to.

8G memory is enough for most folks to run business apps, browsers, etc. If you're gaming or developing, or doing a lot of grapics work, you might want more. As with storage, added memory needs to be ordered that way, there will be fewer systems on the used market with upgraded specs. If you don't know whether you need more RAM, 8 is probably fine.

Used machines can be great buys. But, they usually have no warranty. Remember that and spend accordingly.
Old 08-23-2024, 04:42 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I’m thinking of buying a used Mac Air 13. The big caveat is that I’m not technically oriented. And that’s putting it diplomatically. What questions should I be asking? Looking for 8GB Memory and 512GB storage.
XX pal, I am no expert in Macs but just want to say I support you in your decision in getting one. I was a PC guy all the way until I switched over to a Macbook Pro in 2019. Let's just say my life was forever changed...for the better and I am never going back to a windows PC.

Four years on now, never had a single "screen froze" or crash, super stable, even with its "outdated" specs compared to today's machines, I don't find it lacking or wanting for my use case. The only issue it has, it seems to run hotter than normal, with the fans running non-stop blowing hot air out of the vents.

Old 08-23-2024, 04:47 PM
Back At It!

haven't read all of the replies yet, but I've bought used Macbooks and used iPhones.. I've purchased from Gazelle and Amazon. If I was looking for a Macbook now, I'd be looking hard at OWC https://tinyurl.com/fyh5etes

for an iPhone, I've had good success with Amazon reconditioned..

you can buy from an individual, but, IMHO, you are taking some pretty big chances.. BTW, Gazelle was fine, I just like the vibe at OWC better..
Old 08-23-2024, 04:52 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Some of the M1 Macbook Airs use USB-C for charging. Then Apple went back to the magnetic charger, which is *so* much nicer.
but not the same heads as the old mag chargers.. can't use your old cords (if they are still usable and not cracked/broken).. cords seem to be the weak point on most Mac products..
Old 08-23-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Storage isn't user-upgradeable on Macs, so it's not even remotely "cheap". It's either pay Apple's markup or do without (unless you mean an external drive, but that's something else altogether).
I should have clarified... external SSDs are cheap.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:03 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

The equivalent to the paceline forum is https://forums.macrumors.com
especially the classifieds.

They do a great job making sure anyone selling there is legit and the forum is a fantastic knowledge base as well as a superb Marketplace.

-KP
Old 08-23-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
XX pal, I am no expert in Macs but just want to say I support you in your decision in getting one. I was a PC guy all the way until I switched over to a Macbook Pro in 2019. Let's just say my life was forever changed...for the better and I am never going back to a windows PC.

Four years on now, never had a single "screen froze" or crash, super stable, even with its "outdated" specs compared to today's machines, I don't find it lacking or wanting for my use case. The only issue it has, it seems to run hotter than normal, with the fans running non-stop blowing hot air out of the vents.

I bought this one, very similar to yours: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restored-...ied/1828767333

Seemed like a solid deal, but one of my tech savvier friends on the Forum expressed concern about the Intel chip (as did a few other posters did) I have a 90 day return window. I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles. Something to design and edit my newsletter. For all I know, gremlins could be inside the computer, and I wouldn’t know the difference.

Tags
apple