Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 07:36 AM

Head unit changes RTL settings. I've disconnected the light network, keeping radar network, and light stays blinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
I do have a RTL 515. Once it’s on 3 presses since I want it to only flash when a car approaches. I ride in a very low traffic area. Many times it will come on a while later and stay on. Even when I do the multiple presses multiple times. Eventually it will do want. What am I going wrong? The manual is very poor at explaining button pressing and the end results.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:54 AM
Older Than You

I'm a long time Bontrager Flare RT user but lately I've had battery problems. I got one via warranty and it lasted 3 months.

I've switched to the Lezyne strip drive tail light. They have models from 150-400 lumens.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:58 AM

NEW 2024 DiNotte D6 RedTaillight

This is the only light i use now. Cars behind me tell me it hurts their eyes!!
Old 09-15-2024, 10:35 AM

Another Dinotte fan here though I don't have the new one. I'd just changed over my set of lights to USB c last year.. And then they release a new one
Old 09-15-2024, 10:41 AM

I've used Bontrager RT cubes and Spesh Stix lights for a while they've been reliable and hold charges long.

I'd like to eventually try some of the Lezyne Alert models, that use sensors to detect slowing down/braking, and act like a brake light (more useful in groups). The biggest issue that I've seen with friends and co workers using them is that the alert mode kills battery life very quickly.
Old 09-15-2024, 12:33 PM

tail light summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
One at least will need to be seat stay mounted. Looking for daylight visibility and under $50 (about) each.
Some of these lights y'all are recommending are 3x as much as OP's budget.

I've used a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150, but feel the battery life isn't great. E.g. had to charge it every few days when commuting. I can't imagine the Hypershot improving things unless they're using a larger battery.

This is my running summary:

Budget $30 - Planet Bike Superflash Turbo (non-USB)

Medium ~$50 - Bontrager Flare RT, Cygolite Hotshot 150/250, NiteRider Sentry Aero 260, Lezyne Zecto

Premium $100+ - Lupine Rotlicht, Garmin Varia, Dinotte D6

The Superflash is perfectly fine if you're not weight conscious.
Old 09-15-2024, 01:48 PM

Bontrager RT cube

i like it auto dims at night.
Old 09-15-2024, 01:58 PM
Back At It!

I've always been a fan of the NiteRider stuff.. well made, from San Diego, great customer service, and has a range of well-priced products.. I'm sure the others are great as well, I'm just a bit of NiteRider fanboy.. (I do use a Varia though as well)
Old 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Exposure tail lights are great. Good and bright and they have a ton of different mounting brackets.

https://www.exposurelights.com/collections/rear
These are great. Wait for a coupon or black Friday.

Instagram
Old 09-15-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonita View Post
Head unit changes RTL settings. I've disconnected the light network, keeping radar network, and light stays blinky.
I leave my light network (Varia RTL 515 and Varia UT-800 front light) set to Automatic on my Garmin Edge. It starts automatically when my ride timer starts (auto at 6mph) and the light beam/blinking adjusts automatically depending on ambient light. I have played with the Connect IQ apps, but always came back to the automatic control.
Old 09-15-2024, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I’ve got a couple of the Trek/Bontrager cube-shaped lights and they’re actually pretty decent..
I second the endorsement of the Trek ion / flare lights. Small, good for being seen and some nice mounting options.

I repurposed some old ones for my 5 year-old’s Woom and she thinks they’re fantastic.
Old 09-15-2024, 08:57 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
I second the endorsement of the Trek ion / flare lights. Small, good for being seen and some nice mounting options.

I repurposed some old ones for my 5 year-old’s Woom and she thinks they’re fantastic.
Now I’m thinking of my kids digging through my box of bike lights. Good memories!
Old 09-15-2024, 09:42 PM

I've got the Cygolite Supershot 250.
Have gotten a few complains from cyclists riding behind me that the blinking lights were too bright, so I had to switch to dimmer settings.
I also had the original Hotshot which was good value for money.
My 3rd Hotshot - Hotshot Micro - I keep it as a backup. The smallest of the 3 Hotshots but just a little bit cheaper.

I was using my Varia RTC715 on a long randoneur ride over the weekend and had to top up the battery with a powerbank. With blinky + camera + radar, it usually doesn't last beyond 6 hours (almost 2yo now).
I've given up trying to change the Varia light settings from the buttons, simply too confusing. I just do it entirely from my Garmin head unit.

I like the Bontrager Flare rear light. Small and blindingly bright.

Giant has a similar light at almost half the price - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/recon-tl-100-2020
Old 09-16-2024, 05:27 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I’ve got a couple of the Trek/Bontrager cube-shaped lights and they’re actually pretty decent. Light and compact. Not sure about seat mounting. I’ve got seatpost straps and they’ve been pretty good, and a riding buddy reported that they’re plenty bright.
These suck. There's a design flaw in the USB recharger connector & they invariably stop charging. 1 year warranty.

Hard pass.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisthehorse View Post
This is the only light i use now. Cars behind me tell me it hurts their eyes!!
Blinding drivers doesn't seem sensible, neither is spending $199 for a tail light with so many options that don't blind people in charge of 2 ton vehicles trying to pass you available.