Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2024, 01:52 PM

The only 'negative' I'd say about the speed queen recommendations is the price.

It is over twice the price of a typical name brand top load washer. I'd rather spend 500-600 on a new maytag top load agitator washer, and accept that -maybe- I'll need to replace it in 5-10 years, than to lay out 1500 right away for a speed queen.

Just my .02....
Old 05-28-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I can't speak to your question about the top loaders, but I know the front loaders we've had, had 2 issues:

1. No matter how careful we were, they always began to stink at some point.
2. Because they are 'energy efficient' and use less water......big surprise, clothes don't get as clean!!

And, with regards to some of the newer -top- loaders that don't have an agitator and are regarded as energy efficient, the issues I've read about those mainly have to do with the fact that, again, they try to use less water, which can result in your clothes not being cleaned properly.
Exactly correct. Government efficiency regulations have hobbled the performance of washing machines over the years, and clothes don't get as clean.

If I understand the rumor correctly, Speed Queen discovered a "loophole" in the regulations that specify the efficiency metrics must be met with the "normal" cycle of the machine. (Internally, they supposedly called the "normal" cycle "government mode.") To get the original full performance on a Speed Queen you need to use the "permanent press" cycle.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:10 PM
Forward the Foundation

Bought a hi_E Whirlpool, no agitator, it lasted exactly 10 years.
Bought a Speed Queen to replace it.
The when the 30 year old dryer croaked, bought a Speed Queen.

Speed Queen the Duesenberg of Laundry, ask the man who owns one.

Old 05-28-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:

It is over twice the price of a typical name brand top load washer. I'd rather spend 500-600 on a new maytag top load agitator washer, and accept that -maybe- I'll need to replace it in 5-10 years, than to lay out 1500 right away for a speed queen.

Just my .02....
Since a Speed Queen is supposed to last 25 years, you might just as easily spend more buying that Maytag over and over.

You *can* potentially beat those odds if you buy the cheapest Amana top loader, however. The Amana won't last 19 years, as the OP specified, though.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Since a Speed Queen is supposed to last 25 years, you might just as easily spend more buying that Maytag over and over.

You *can* potentially beat those odds if you buy the cheapest Amana top loader, however. The Amana won't last 19 years, as the OP specified, though.
I might not last 19 years either....
Old 05-28-2024, 02:25 PM

Front loaders have to be sealed to prevent the water from getting out, top loaders are open to the atmosphere so they air out. Front loader = water bottle with a gulp of Skratch left in a hot car for a day or three-
Old 05-28-2024, 03:06 PM

I've come to the place in my life where I'll pay more not to have to dick with it again. Or at least, not as soon. I have money, time is what I'm short on.

Quote:

Just my .02....
Old 05-28-2024, 03:06 PM
Pack fill

Mrs. Cakes will only use a simple machine without all the hi efficiency settings. All the stopping and soaking was taking longer and the rinsing was not very good on 2 Whirlpool washers we tried. 8 years later she has a Speed Queen top loader TC5. If we ever have to buy another it will be the same SQ model
Old 05-28-2024, 03:21 PM

Top loading speed queen, the basic one with mechanical controls if they still offer it.

Old 05-28-2024, 03:22 PM
Randomhead

So far for us, having the door of the washer even with the door of the dryer is worth leaving the door of the washer open when it's not being used. I guess if it was in a very small space we might feel differently. I do hate draining it though. Not sure why they can't make the drain so it doesn't splash on the ground.

Note that appliance recommendations are always suspect, because the company might have changed the design yesterday to something that is so cheap it barely works when they test it at the factory. Had a GE oven like that, there was no way the door lock was going to work more than a few times before it failed. And the factory used up those few times, so it was failed when we got it. That wasn't a cheap oven either.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:39 PM

We leave the front door ajar on our, and open the detergent drawer which provides some venting, per our appliance tech.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:31 PM

I've had the Maytag 2000 Series for a while now. Can't say it's blown me away. Based on the customer service I'd say stay away from the brand.
It's front load and I've done loads twice because things didn't come out that clean. Or even just washed things by hand.

I had to rip open the dryer about a month ago to replace the tensioner pulley. Replaced the belt and a foam gasket while I was at it.

I'm going back to top load washer for the next machine.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:40 PM

LG front loader has been great. Wipe the seal down after each use and leave the door open. No smell.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2024, 08:23 PM

As has been already said:

Top loaders don't stink because you can leave the lid open when not in use.
Do that with a front loader and the door is always in the way.

Front loaders supposedly use less water while still able to achieve the same level of clean clothes as a top loader.

I bought a Speed Queen. Yeah it's great, but I hate having to put all those quarters in it!
Old 05-28-2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
As has been already said:

Top loaders don't stink because you can leave the lid open when not in use.
Do that with a front loader and the door is always in the way.

…:
Not really. I just measured my open front loader and it is just 1” farther out on the side that opens.

Jeff